Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

OT- anyone watch F1?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2003, 09:56 AM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OT- anyone watch F1?

I'm not the world's biggest fan of anything but did anyone see Barrichello run all over Raikkonen and Ralf?

Man, that was sweet...that dude can drive. If by this point in life if any of those guys don't know that the way around Ralf is to run up on his tail and wait......he f's up EVERY time and they get by.......

Happy Monday.
Old 07-21-2003, 09:59 AM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 37 Posts

It was the greatest F1 Race I have ever seen. Rubens was on fire, he had several impressive passes all race. I don't remember him ever having to pass Ralf, but he did make JPM run all ragged in the other williams early in the race in the greatest pass I have seen in quite some time, it was just a great set up, made him take one line then beat him on the other.....
Old 07-21-2003, 10:02 AM
badass951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about that pyscho that ran across the track?
Old 07-21-2003, 10:07 AM
ian
Nordschleife Master

I liked the comment from one of the comentators about that looney, something to the effect of "I wish he had gotten hit by car except for the danger it would have put the driver in" not word for word, but you get the idea. I also loved the way he was dragged off the the marshal....

Watched the race twice yesterday, 8am and 9pm..... good stuff
Old 07-21-2003, 11:09 AM
951Porschiste
Addict
Rennlist Member

That was a great race. Quite different from what F1 has been like for the past few years. Barrichello was indeed on fire. We also got to see that Raikkonen is not the perfect little driver everyone was claiming. Two major mistakes yesterday that made him lose two important positions. If he loses the championship by two points at the end of the season, he'll look back the British GP with regret.

Some of the big losers in this race were also Schumi who must really hate the new points system this year, his brother Ralf who went nowhere fast, and Villeneuve who got clobbered by his teammate, Button, who managed to finish ahead of him even though he started from the back of the grid. We won't see Villeneuve in F1 next year.
Old 07-21-2003, 12:02 PM
Dave951M
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I espcially liked the comment about "more exciting than a leisurely pass on the back straight at Nascar" touche

Great race, best F1 I've seen in some time.
Old 07-21-2003, 12:13 PM
sybelix
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by 951Porschiste
We also got to see that Raikkonen is not the perfect little driver everyone was claiming. Two major mistakes yesterday that made him lose two important positions. If he loses the championship by two points at the end of the season, he'll look back the British GP with regret.
Räikkönen made one mistake, thats true.
It was when Barrichello over took him, well actually I don't know about makin' a mistake, but NOT givin' up. He stepped on it, until he was off the track... Well looked like a fight..

About the Montoya going pass him, there was something wrong with the last set of his Michelin. He said, that he came and braked to that corner like before, but for some reason the rear tyres lost grip and that resulted to the lost of control.

Well anyway, a great race !!
Old 07-21-2003, 12:21 PM
951Porschiste
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by sybelix
Räikkönen made one mistake, thats true.
It was when Barrichello over took him, well actually I don't know about makin' a mistake, but NOT givin' up. He stepped on it, until he was off the track... Well looked like a fight..

About the Montoya going pass him, there was something wrong with the last set of his Michelin. He said, that he came and braked to that corner like before, but for some reason the rear tyres lost grip and that resulted to the lost of control.

Well anyway, a great race !!
'Räikkönen': Is that the correct way to spell his name?

About the Montoya pass: I was not aware of the info on the Michelin's being bad. Yep, that might explain that one for sure.

Old 07-21-2003, 12:32 PM
pikey7
Drifting

I was there. Great atmosphere, and nice to see so much overtaking. Really good for F1 all round.

As for the psycho, there was a massive cheer from the crowd when the marshal rugby-tackled him down. Just goes to show that there are real fans out there.

When I get back (next monday), i'll post some pics!
Old 07-21-2003, 12:36 PM
ian
Nordschleife Master

If you look at the pace that the Kimi and ralf were running on early tires compared with the later set that they got you will see that the times had fallen off quite a bit. Michelin has had better tires for the last few races, but they also seem to have the biggest variation between sets. This is why you saw the double stint tires in a few races this year, because it was better to have the warn tires than take a gamble on the next set....

But regardless of that Rubens would have gotten by, and I would not blame it on Kimi's mistake, Rubens made the most aggressive / inteligent passes that one could make all race, he was just not going to be denied the win. I hope Rubens can put in that kind of performance again because it was just amazing watching what he could do in the Ferrari.....
Old 07-21-2003, 12:50 PM
pikey7
Drifting

Oh, BTW, I'm happy to learn that Justin Wilson is off to Jaguar as from the next race. That should be really interesting (if he'll fit in the car!)

Kimi's (and JPM's) mistakes were down to Pizzonia dropping oil all over the outside of Stowe corner. just pushing that bit 'extra' (it was on the racing line) cost them dear.

Kimi will never be the perfect driver.... He's Finnish! (before the flames, I just meant that there's too much emotion in there!, to be perfect, you have to be a machine. Look at Keke!!)

As for Rubens, good on him. Good race and all, but I don't particularly like his 'yes-man' political attitude. We need more characters in F1. The Graham Hills, James Hunts and Eddies just aren't there any more (That should get this topic on fire!)
Old 07-21-2003, 12:51 PM
Madant26x
Racer

Originally posted by ian
It was the greatest F1 Race I have ever seen.
ian, I hope you were joking when you said this. This was definitely the most exciting and competitive race this season but of all time??? You need to watch some of the Senna, Prost, Mansell, Schumacher battles of the late 80's and early 90's. That was truely amazing racing, when the aerodynamics weren't as good and they could race nose to tail the entire race.

Last edited by MaDAnT26x; 07-21-2003 at 01:05 PM.
Old 07-21-2003, 01:00 PM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Originally posted by MaDAnT26x
ian, I hope you were joking when you said this. This was definitely the most exciting and competitive race this season but of all time??? You need to watch some of the Senna, Prost, Mansell, Schumacher battles of the late 80's and early 90's. That was truely amazing racing, when the aerodynamics wasn't as good and they could race nose to tail the entire race.
I guess I should have qualified that, with the best race I have watched Live, not in person mind you, but getting my self up in the early AM on sunday to watch the F1 race, which I have been doing for a few years now. I have seen some of the Old F1 races that were quite incredible, but in the modern era of cars nothing has come close to this last race.

I guess I was just far to happy because I did enjoy the race so much that I got carried away....
Old 07-21-2003, 01:04 PM
Madant26x
Racer

Didn't mean to bust your chops, that's kinda what I thought you meant anyway.
Old 07-21-2003, 01:10 PM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Dan,

You can bust my chops all you want, I tend to get carried away with things....

I just hope that we have more races like that the rest of the season, right now its anyone's championship and coming down to the last race of the year with that sort of battle will keep me glued to the screen (not that I wouldn't be anyway).....

Quick Reply: OT- anyone watch F1?