C7 Ride

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 10:03 PM
lee101315
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Interesting. So this is a 'proper Porsche' then? http://996ls1.blogspot.com/
By the way, there's another car that isn't considered a real 911 because the headlights were different. If only they knew how great those 996s were...
Old 10-29-2013, 10:08 PM
travisgreen
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Waaaaa? I can't and won't talk about the C7' but the C5 is a horrible car. Driving a C5 gave me the same feeling as being in a boat. The power isn't really anything to get excited about either but I've had an 86 audi 4000s that was more enjoyable than a c5
Old 10-29-2013, 10:19 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by robstah
My ignorance? I didn't see your post on page 2. So, sure, why not.

If that interior was so great, why do you not own that Z06 today? Why do you own a 951?
Times change, interests change, after a while it becomes time to get something new? Do you still own the same toys you owned 13+ years ago?

I actually sold that car shortly after buying my first house. I wanted to get back into motorcycle racing and just didn't have the budget to do all 3 ($60k car, mortgage, and a truck + motorcycle... and don't forget the weekly requisite bar tab for a 23 year old...) I had to make a choice and the car lost out.

There are times when I still miss it. 2 friends of mine still have their C5 Z's. For being as old as they are now they're IMO still impressive. Still tight, solid, no squeaks or rattles. Damned impressive for a GM product.

Why a 951 and not another Corvette? I had a soft spot for them when I was a kid growing up and always wanted a Porsche. I like the 80s fat fenders, and I remember all the posters and magazine ads I had of it on my wall as a kid (I still have the one of it drifting sideways, and the one with all the parts scattered around the torque tube.) When the time came and I had some spare cash to throw away at a toy that I could enjoy with the family (meaning no more motorcycles...), it was time to buy my first Porsche. And IMO the 951 was obvious. Cheaper and better performing than an equivalent 911 and not as pretentious. I like the fact that most people nowadays don't even know it's a Porsche. I'd rather not have the attention. Plus the 944 interior isn't quite as spartan feeling as an 80s 911.

But don't take that to mean that I think the 951 is better than the C5. It's apples to oranges.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:20 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by lee101315
Saw that blog a few weeks ago and I was totally surprised the rear of the car lightening up with a LS1. Very cool swap.

I hope you read my sarcasm with the 'proper Porsche' references. I've been around Porsches and into 951s for years, and I always get sick of hearing peoples opinions on the 944 platform. Not a real Porsche, real Porsches are rear engined, 4 cylinder cars aren't rear Porsches, your car was built by Volkswagen...

So there's no reason to be afraid of ruining your 944 with an engine swap, you'll still hear those comments at car meets...

Actually I missed the sarcasm... though I did find it odd you mentioned "water cooled" LOL.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:00 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by lee101315
I've been around Porsches and into 951s for years, and I always get sick of hearing peoples opinions on the 944 platform. Not a real Porsche, real Porsches are rear engined, 4 cylinder cars aren't rear Porsches, your car was built by Volkswagen...
Solved that comment years ago.
if 944's aren't Porsches because they have some parts from Audi...then 911's aren't Porsches because they have design roots from VW.

I'll take an Audi over a VW any day!

The whole 944 vs Corvette debate is fairly pointless, typically the 944 is owned by a person that likes to work on and modify their cars, Corvettes are not. The new Corvette is one hell of a nice car, have to give GM credit for finally getting it right. Still does not interest me. Maybe when I get old and don't want to play with cars and wrenches anymore, then I will look for a car like the Corvette....as long as my walker will fit in it!
Old 10-30-2013, 12:21 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Wait, I could have bought a Corvette for $10k? That's news to me. I wonder if that comes with a different interior...

Oh, and I'm sure Porsche designed the 924/944 series from scratch and didn't chop a V8 in half in order to have a Porsche engine under the hood...
You could find a C5 for $10k if you look long enough. In any case what I meant is why have the older Porsche with a LS1 if you have to update or change the suspension, brakes, etc just to handle the LS1 power. Just doesn't make sense to me.

I'm not knocking the LS1 swap I just don't see the point when a corvette would be newer and should have less things to replace. Just IMO.

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
I'm sure you can get pretty close to $10k for a used C5.

And the interior really isn't any worse.
I don't think the corvette interior is anywhere near as nice as a well kept 951 interior. I have always felt the cars felt "cheap". Even the C6 I sat in and looked at just didn't seem that nice. Now a 2004-2006 GTO on the other hand. Those are freaking nice on the interior front. I wouldn't mind having one TBH. Before I bought the 951 I really looked at the GTO's, but it always came down to what I know(watercoolers) and how much I have always wanted a freaking 951. It wins over everytime.

I may take a look at a new Vette(C7), but I have this feeling that deep down I will just want another 951. It is a sickness I swear I just love the freaking cars. The look awesome and are solidly built.

I am itching for another car to tinker with. Having my 951 go up in flames along with my RZ350 was a sad sight. I keep telling my wife a new car will fix that. haha.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:59 PM
67King
Race Car

I'm sorry, but any Porsche owner who is critical of the interiors from a Corvette made from about 1997-2004 needs a healthy dose of STFU. Have you never looked at the interior of the 986 or 996? Talk about AWFUL. They were horrible for their day, and even worse today. That's not a defense of the Corvette, but being critical of them for that factor is seriously reaching.

And honestly, the 944's interior has never been all that. It is pretty meh for a car that cost what it did. Reminds me of my dad's old Fiat 124 sedan from when I was a kid. Isn't hard to make an interior so plain look well put together. And back in the 80's, "leather" meant leather for the Corvette, rather than all vinyl with a dab of leather on the front surfaces. Common nowadays, but hasn't always been. Who would have thought Porsche would be leading teh way in cheapness? Well, they did.

As for the rest of it, I've said it before and I'll say it again. America has the best engineers in the world - they are just seriously handicapped by the financial structure of their employers. Chevy or Ford could build a Ferrari or Porsche easily, but Porsche or Ferrari could never build a Chevy or Ford.

I personally have no interest in a V8 swap into a 944. But I can see the appeal of it. The Corvette may be light for its size, but it is still a big car. I've not driven one on the track, but on the street "nimble" is not the word that comes to mind. Plus I'm a short f***er, and can't see out of them nearly as well as my 944. If all the other non-Corvette stuff related to reliability (WIRING) came along with the engine, then I'd much prefer a V8 944 to a Corvette. The big difference to me is that the Corvette is a great turn-key car. The 944 is a turn-key to find out what is wrong kind of car (and yeah, I'm a bit frustrated after not having been able to run for TWO FREAKIN' YEARS in my car, depsite having gone over just about everything).
Old 10-30-2013, 02:00 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

I think the biggest issue with the 944's now is the cars are old. Wiring gets old. Look at Corvettes of the same era and I will guarantee they will have the same issues.

I would like to say for the record. The GTO interior is better than any corvette I have seen up to this point. Minus the C7.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:18 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the new C7 looks better in person than the magzine pics.

I have my son driving a C5 (00' manual Coupe) back and forth to college. He averages 27mpg and sometimes as high as 30 MPG. We've owned it for three years now as he's driven since the start of his senior year of high school. I've road tripped with him and it was a great highway machine. I've also spent a lot of time around town in it and drilled a lot of other cars...and it's a 110k car.

My 951 walks his Vette on the top end...he edges me out on the bottom end.

I have owned a C6 Grand Sport (6 spd manual) for about 6 months now and really like it. The C6 beats the 951 but the boost factor and the part throttle response make the 951 a lot of fun.
Attached Images   
Old 10-30-2013, 03:00 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

Somebody should swap 944 interior to cX.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:10 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

At the time I built my 944 LSx swap two years ago, C5s were not going for 10k, but more like 15-20k. The only reason they are closer to 10k now is due to the C7 coming out.

So I should STFU then, huh? How about this. Try not to use a strawman to make an example and totally go away from what I was saying. Did I not say 80's German interiors? Why even mention the 986/996? I could care less about the 986/996 and their ****ty interiors. I like the 944 interior over the C5 interior, and I know a lot of people who agree with me.

This thread has gone from unjustified hate for the C7, to over-praising the C5, to bashing the swap cars again. You guys wouldn't be praising the C5 if it weren't for the LS1 in it. Why can't I have the best of both worlds?

I swear, you purists are really making this community a sh*tty place to be. It's like you guys want to be 911 owners and make fun of the Caymans/Boxters/928s/944s/etc. of the Porsche world. It's illogical and down right the dumbest argument that I STILL encounter today.

Maybe all of you should STFU?
I think you are misconstruing what I'm trying to say. I just don't get the swapped cars. It is not because I hate them(I want to build a LT1 924S) its because you could have the LS1 in a car that came from the factory with it, that weighs about the same, has more modern braking, suspension, steering, and newer wiring, blah blah blah.

I am not hating bro.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:11 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

I swear, you purists are really making this community a sh*tty place to be. It's like you guys want to be 911 owners and make fun of the Caymans/Boxters/928s/944s/etc. of the Porsche world. It's illogical and down right the dumbest argument that I STILL encounter today.

Maybe all of you should STFU?
Rob - There is a reason you have conflicts with most on this board and it is not because they are "purists". It is about treating people with respect, something YOU are not very good at. In no way am I trying to psycho analyze you but simply point out the truth. I know you personally and off the board you seem very different to me. Maybe you do not realize how disrespectful you come across on here?
Old 10-30-2013, 03:18 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well stated Shawn.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:26 PM
67King
Race Car

Try not to use a strawman to make an example and totally go away from what I was saying.

I swear, you purists are really making this community a sh*tty place to be.
Being critical of a Corvette for its interior is perhaps the very definition of "strawman." It is a great car. PERIOD. You might as well insult the Ariel Atom for not having cup holders. All it does is just show the extent of your insecurity.

If this place is so crappy, what's keeping you here? Sheesh, dude, even your friends tell you that you're an @$$hole here - and I've seen it a few times. Besides, if you'd bother to read the whole flippin' post before you go off on your rant, you'd know better than to call me a "purist."
Old 10-30-2013, 03:30 PM
67King
Race Car

I think it's time for a lot of you to grow up.
You really need to step away from the keyboard. You make my 4 year old's tantrums seem quite tame.

Quick Reply: C7 Ride