Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Latest track video of the widebody 3.1l 16v turbo

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 08:18 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by robstah
Try it out and don't forget before and after dynos.
I don't think you see the bigger picture here.. spool vs rpm by itself means nothing in terms of how quick it is! That is the issue with the dynos that does not contol the rate of acceleration - the larger the mass for the engine accelerate the slower the rate of acceleration is and the longer the available time window is to build boost. That does not make the car quicker!!

Now if your argument were true, the car would be quicker with an even heavier flywheel. That also means that the car would be quicker the heavier the FW is... so if we put a 1000 kg flywheel on the engine which take forever for the engine to accelerate we would probably get the turbo to spool say 1000-2000 rpm sooner. Question is - do we have a quicker car? Now please drop this, at least in my thread. Please open a separate thread if you want to continue to talk about this and try to explain your theories (not "take it to the dyno").
Old 10-09-2013, 08:21 AM
Dutch944
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try it out and don't forget before and after dynos.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:25 AM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

I never said any of this, including the acronym, RPM.

There is such a thing as diminishing returns.

I still don't know why you are arguing with me. I mentioned it once, you attacked me like everyone does on here, I backed down and simply asked for a dyno/your feelings back when you do it, and you continue to attack and then tell me to stay out of a public thread.

So, once again, install the LTW flywheel and give it a go and report back.
Rob - Please honor the OP's request to move this OT discussion to a separate thread.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:29 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

I never said any of this, including the acronym, RPM.

There is such a thing as diminishing returns.

I still don't know why you are arguing with me. I mentioned it once, you attacked me like everyone does on here, I backed down and simply asked for a dyno/your feelings back when you do it, and you continue to attack and then tell me to stay out of a public thread.

So, once again, install the LTW flywheel and give it a go and report back.
I did not attack you. YOU came into this thread with claims out of the blue. I questioned your claims and tried to explain why a dyno run is useless for the purpose of flywheel weight. But let's just agree to disagree and move on. Sure it's a public thread. But this is why I don't post much here anymore. I share a race video because I'm hoping some people will be interested, the same way I like other peoples race videos. Instead the thread turns into a discussion I never wanted to have in my thread. It was you who entered this thread with claims that was never on the table for discussion. So instead I've ended up regretting even starting this thread as the fun is lost. I cannot stop you from entering and posting so I guess it will lead to me stop posting
Old 10-09-2013, 09:33 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Here is another way to look at it -
once you engage the clutch you are spinning the entire drive train - torque tube, transmission gears, axle shafts and wheels - is a lighter or heavier flywheel going to make much of a difference to that? maybe a percent or two - not worth considering the effect.
Is the lighter flywheel going to help with up and down shifts? Yes, in a big way. Much more responsive on the track but kind of alloying on the street (stalls at stoplights very easily).
Old 10-09-2013, 09:35 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Duke - lets bring the fun back - is Dutch944's picture a jet pack or a self ignited fart?? Inquiring minds want to know!
Old 10-09-2013, 09:40 AM
Dutch944
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Chris, see the two buttons with the small control box? Those are button to control the sparkplugs which are placed on the backpack. I use those to ignite the farts!
Old 10-09-2013, 09:59 AM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Raceboy
Flywheel stores energy, not creating it and the energy stored must come from somewhere. Perhaps engine would be my 1st guess?

Only situation where heavier flywheel is good thing is when you start moving with the car in gear, stored energy from idle speed help the engine to maintain its rotation from inertia.

If someone explains with facts how heavier flywheel is useful during acceleration and/or throttle response on any car (be it forced induction or NA), I would be grateful.
It isn't, but it also won't show up on a dyno if you take finite measurements (i.e. hold at RPM, take measurement, increase and hold, measure, etc.). It will slow down the engine's ability to accelerate (F=ma) because for the engine to accelerate, it takes more force (torque is a force, hp is a force per unit time).

Anyway, I don't understand the argument. Who cares where in the RPM band the boost hits? If it hits lower because the car is accelerating more slowly because of a flywheel, how is that an advantage? 0-full boost in 0.7 seconds at 4500 RPM is supposed to be better than 0-full boost in 0.6 seconds at 4750 exactly how? Plus the car isn't as far down the track. Call me crazy, but I'd rather the car be accelerating more quickly and further down the track, and hitting full boost more quickly relative to TIME than farther back, less quickly, later relative to TIME, but a little bit lower down per the tach. I know it certainly didn't slow down my car when I went to a lighter flywheel, but I think I had done some other things, so I can't give a non-confounding, absolute answer.

Of course, the argument is entirely academic since we are talking about driving on a track, and if you can go from 0% throttle to WOT instantaneously, you are probably slowing down way too much for the turn, or applying throttle way too late. What kind of experience do people arguing have with driving a turbocharged car on a racetrack at a somewhat high level, say advanced solo or higher? I simply cannot think of a turn where I am not at part throttle for at least some of it. If you've done it, did you not develop an awareness of your inputs when you were learning? Once you are at WOT somewhere between the apex and track out, the lighter flywheel is an advantage.

Duke, there are two other options you have. The 968 flywheel is larger, but it is dual mass, which isn't as good. Another is to drill and tap the perimeter of a larger, turbo flywheel and put in cap set screws. You can use the factory location of the reference sensor, and feed your PCM (I'm assuming it is all aftermarket). Might cost you a bit to have a machinist do that, but I would expect that it'll work. The sensor just look for a PIP.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:27 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by 67King
Duke, there are two other options you have. The 968 flywheel is larger, but it is dual mass, which isn't as good. Another is to drill and tap the perimeter of a larger, turbo flywheel and put in cap set screws. You can use the factory location of the reference sensor, and feed your PCM (I'm assuming it is all aftermarket). Might cost you a bit to have a machinist do that, but I would expect that it'll work. The sensor just look for a PIP.
It would have to be 58 cap screws! Duke is using the 60-2 tooth flywheel that was stock on 944S and S2.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:30 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by 67King
Of course, the argument is entirely academic since we are talking about driving on a track, and if you can go from 0% throttle to WOT instantaneously, you are probably slowing down way too much for the turn, or applying throttle way too late. What kind of experience do people arguing have with driving a turbocharged car on a racetrack at a somewhat high level, say advanced solo or higher? I simply cannot think of a turn where I am not at part throttle for at least some of it. If you've done it, did you not develop an awareness of your inputs when you were learning? Once you are at WOT somewhere between the apex and track out, the lighter flywheel is an advantage.
In theory, if you can open the throttle before the apex you have over braked into the corner.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:32 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by Dutch944
Chris, see the two buttons with the small control box? Those are button to control the sparkplugs which are placed on the backpack. I use those to ignite the farts!
Hmmm....I suppose you have thrust vectoring controls too!
Old 10-09-2013, 10:32 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Guys, I know it can be done with a 951 flywheel... but I don't like it. Now how the hell did my track video turn into 3 pages of flywheel discussion
Old 10-09-2013, 10:36 AM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris White
It would have to be 58 cap screws! Duke is using the 60-2 tooth flywheel that was stock on 944S and S2.
That's why I said it might cost a bit!!!!! I have an acquaintance who said he could do it for me for what I hope to eventually get around to doing. I've got 16V engine parts laying around all over the place, but no time
Old 10-09-2013, 11:03 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Duke
Guys, I know it can be done with a 951 flywheel... but I don't like it. Now how the hell did my track video turn into 3 pages of flywheel discussion
Duke this is Rennlist!<- Sparta Voice. I guess i am the one to blame
Old 10-09-2013, 01:16 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Paulyy
very nice!

Whats up with the exhaust being on the right hand side and not the left?
Here's with the exhaust on the left side. A bit too loud for the new 95 db regulations

Quick Reply: Latest track video of the widebody 3.1l 16v turbo