Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Show Us Your MAF's !

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 09:13 PM
Euro944
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Show Us Your MAF's !

I like the way the MAF intake looks and the whoosh sound. I was thinking about upgrading to a MAF, don't know if I want to tune a digital. I don't even have a laptop yet.

Here is link to one I saw going for less than some digital MAFs . I could use my autometer gauges with this kit and sell my stock chips , intake and flapper meter. I don't care much for the stock intake restrictions and I really want those Autothority stage II chips and shims. How many guys have upgraded to MAF ?

Ebay
Old 07-15-2003, 06:10 AM
mark944turbo
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If I were you I would stay away from the MAF system and just buy a MAP kit from www.gururacing.net . Get the stage II if you want it to look like a MAF kit in the engine compartment with the replacement J-boot.
Old 07-15-2003, 07:49 AM
Euro944
Intermediate

I need cold-air MAP/MAF, this is not cold filter below, it is over 100 degrees here now. I would have to retain stock box with Guru MAP because of weather.
I have the Guru reliaboost and 3bar AFPR
Old 07-15-2003, 08:03 AM
Euro944
Intermediate

Default Guru Stage II has cold-air design

I would need to step up to stage II, stage I filter not relocated in cold area. May need to send chips for $100 retune after 1st dyno run, like many do. Kit looks nice, good customer support there. I would like to hear from those drivers who have actually purchased the kit from Guru and how they tune it with Link & overlays.

Stage II runs about $1600

$1250 Stage-2 MAP-sensor fuel-computer upgrade kit
(does not include ReliaBoost-1)

$ 250 Link Tuning Module - hand-held programmer
($230 with kit purchase)

$ 65 Serial-Link laptop-datalogging adaptor
Old 07-15-2003, 11:29 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just came out with a new Stage-1 MAP kit that retains the stock airbox for that stealth look! Perhaps Ian can post some pictures of his kit. Can use a free-flowing K&N panel filter inside the airbox.

Here's my MAF:

From my MAF4 installation
Old 07-15-2003, 12:53 PM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Received 60 Likes on 36 Posts

danno were you looking for my MAF?

If so here she is, but I know the BOV is mounted backwards.... Thats fixed, now i'm just trying to find pre bent piping to finish the look....

Old 07-15-2003, 02:16 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Show Us Your MAF's !

Originally posted by Euro944
I like the way the MAF intake looks and the whoosh sound. I was thinking about upgrading to a MAF, don't know if I want to tune a digital. I don't even have a laptop yet.

Here is link to one I saw going for less than some digital MAFs . I could use my autometer gauges with this kit and sell my stock chips , intake and flapper meter. I don't care much for the stock intake restrictions and I really want those Autothority stage II chips and shims. How many guys have upgraded to MAF ?

Ebay
Just curious why you said to stay away from MAF's? They are a proven design and work well on our cars. I currently have a Huntley Stage 3 MAF and a SFR MAF kit that I'm using with my other 951.
Old 07-15-2003, 02:39 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"danno were you looking for my MAF? "

Ooh, ahhh.. That's clean! Actually I was referring to Ian Kam's Stg.1 MAP kit. It was the first kit I configured to re-use the stock airbox and get rid of the AFM. I suspect that the long snorkel to the fender would still limit air-velocity, but we'll see... I suspect we should still be getting 260-265rwhp & around 300-lb•ft TQ with it since the stock turbo & injectors will still be the rate-limiting step.
Old 07-15-2003, 04:19 PM
mark944turbo
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Dan87951, I was just saying to stay away from the MAF systems because that seems to be the general opinion these days. MAP kits are more adjustable after future upgrades, for one thing. You dont have to burn new chips every single time you make a change in the car. The MAF also does not take into account the temperature of the intake air like the MAP kits do,and the MAP kits are overall more finely adustable. I am sure the MAF kits work fine since so many people use them, but it seems to me that the MAP is newer, superiour technology.
Old 07-15-2003, 04:54 PM
Euro944
Intermediate

MAF kits like the one on Ebay can be upgraded to digital and also ambient temp. Ask Guru, SFR, Lindsey, Huntley about MAF upgrades, they build them and have used them on their own 951. They are less restrictrictive and more accurate than flapper box when properly tuned, though they run rough when tuning needs adjustment or sometimes I hear they saturate the O2 sensor too much now and then. I feel and hear the turbine spool in MAF cars. The BV really works hard in hard pipe MAF system, sounds wicked. Imagine a GT2 with a big blow-off sound and turbo's spooling and then GT2 purges NOS or CO2 air from hood, that would get my attention !
Old 07-16-2003, 08:07 PM
kasturbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This guy is a joke. Check out this thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...threadid=78341
Old 07-17-2003, 04:04 AM
MHT
Burning Brakes

Mark, the speed/density system you describe as newer, superior technology was used by various manufacturers in the mid eighties on their lower cost, low powered fuel injected cars, it has since been replaced in almost all cases by mass flow systems that measure air flow directly. You can be assured that if it was a more efficient way of calculating air flow it would still be the system of choice for most OE manufacturers, as it would eliminate the need for costly and failure prone mass flow sensors.
Old 07-17-2003, 04:52 AM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

MAF/MAP whatever, both are better than the barn door style the car came with.

I didn't know Lindsey got kicked off of here. What happened?
Old 07-17-2003, 05:50 AM
kasturbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

I didn't know that either. Is it true even?

Quick Reply: Show Us Your MAF's !