Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Sequential transaxle

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 05:54 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by alxdgr8
There are some Audi's out there with sequential 01E's. The one guy I know with one has this:
http://www.sqsracing.com/produkt/354...di-quattro-01e

Although I believe he sent it back for some work and has resorted back to a standard shifter with his dogbox AWD 01E in the meantime. He makes 760awhp/550awtq (9.3@153 in the quarter)

Probably could be converted to work with a 968 01E.
The gearbox is not sequential, that is a sequential shifter. It's a box that simulates the actual H-pattern shift movement. It's good in the sense that it offers consistant and quick shifting but you still need to you use the clutch and wait for the synchros.

The box sits on top of the gearbox so you would have to remove the trunk floor in a 944/968 to fit it. Not the end of the world for a race car. In my case I have the fuel cell above the transmission so it's a no go for me.
I've recently asked them to look into making a box that can sit on the side of the gearbox. Their designer is looking into it right now.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:26 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Duke
The gearbox is not sequential, that is a sequential shifter. It's a box that simulates the actual H-pattern shift movement. It's good in the sense that it offers consistant and quick shifting but you still need to you use the clutch and wait for the synchros.

The box sits on top of the gearbox so you would have to remove the trunk floor in a 944/968 to fit it. Not the end of the world for a race car. In my case I have the fuel cell above the transmission so it's a no go for me.
I've recently asked them to look into making a box that can sit on the side of the gearbox. Their designer is looking into it right now.
Doh, yes true.
Guy I was referencing is a drag racer with a dog box, no clutch for him shifting.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:44 PM
Dom_962
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the help guys..

The price i was quoted for SQ gearbox was for a reco second hand gearbox, (not sure where it had come from) the process from my understanding was we need to custom fab a housing bracket and CV mounts so that the old axle could be used, or our custom made axle.. and make a small bracket to hang it from the top or bottom depending on what gearbox we go with.

In regards to weight i currently have a standard 944 that weight in at 840kg wet.

so in regards to the turbo we are building we have cut away any excess metal and replaced it with carbon fibre, for example we have a full carbon fibre floor as we lowered and moved the seating position back as far as possible,(the reason why is because i'm a 6ft 4). also in the rear end there is only the chassis rail from the driver compartment back. the rest is a carbon fibre shell i wont go into much more detail as i plan to write a blog on it all

atm the moment we have just stripped the car had it soda blaster and the cage is getting installed as we speak but at last last calc the car was weight in at 815 kg but there are still parts to be cut out..

The other thing i should probably mention is that a good friend of mine is a composited design and did work for some F1 teams in the UK doing Composites design and then V8 supercars in Aus and he is helping me deign parts out or Composite materials, things we are working on are cv and axles, Drive shaft from the Clutch to the gearbox, ect (trying to reduce Rotating weight to gain HP)
the thing we have complete are full carbon fibre linkage from Gearbox to gear shift. full carbon fibre body including roof and diffuser. and to keep the misses happy some carbon fibre jewellery.

So with my obsession with carbon fibre in full effect, hopefully this car will be a light weight model..

I thinking that a 997 flip gearbox could be a option as there plenty of those second hand but i recall Tong G saying that they cost 30K to rebuild each year or after 30hr of racing..

Justin Rose who owns that 944 turbo is who i will be racing against.. we have previously done battle in the 944 challenge, with him kicking my *** every time

So is this to far fetched to have a Sq Gearbox installed for 20K or less?
Old 09-18-2013, 10:34 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts

Actually it's Kane Rose and he doesn't own that car, but if you're being beaten by Justin Rose (the golfer) you might need all the extra help you can get.

Sounds like a great project and will be happily following your progress. Might even buy some parts from you. When you say you have a standard 944 that weighs 840kg, do you mean a 944 challenge car which has a lot of fibre glass panels? A stock n/a 944 is more like 1100kgs.

Keep us up to date with your progress. Sounds very interesting.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:07 PM
Dom_962
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i apologise i was thinking Justin Ros.. and it was Brent Rose and Kane both use to beat in the 944 challenge..

Forgive me but i haven't spoken to the 944 challenge boys in a couple of years due to working overseas and i thought Kane had a trick 944 turbo and was racing against Oyars Biolas, (not sure on the Spelling)

and yeah my 944 is a race car that weight 840, lots of fibreglass parts in that one..

If you are after any CF parts let me know as we have kept all the mould for most of the car..
Old 09-18-2013, 11:47 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts

Email sent to you.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:20 AM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Duke

Duke, can I get a bit more information about that? If one was crazy enough to be willing to hack out the rear floor panel, what would it take to fit one of those boxes up? Is there a ton of custom fab required, or can a couple of reasonably smart guys with a welder figure it out? I've seen them for the 996 and 997s but never for a 944 chassis car.

Last edited by Dougs951S; 09-19-2013 at 12:46 AM.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:36 AM
Dubai944
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

What series or type of competition is the car being built for?
Old 09-19-2013, 04:55 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Dougs951S
Duke, can I get a bit more information about that? If one was crazy enough to be willing to hack out the rear floor panel, what would it take to fit one of those boxes up? Is there a ton of custom fab required, or can a couple of reasonably smart guys with a welder figure it out? I've seen them for the 996 and 997s but never for a 944 chassis car.
Take a look here:
http://www.sqsracing.com/

The Audi 01E shifting mechanisim is the same as the 968 box.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:25 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SQS Racing says on their web site that, " DOG kit Audi 01E 6sp - coming in winter / spring 2014".

I wonder if those could be used in the Porsche (Audi) 968 01E box.

TonyG

Quick Reply: Sequential transaxle