Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Early Strut Cartridge Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 04:11 PM
CyCloNe!
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 104 Posts
Default Early Strut Cartridge Question

Hey guys I have a custom strut setup that uses the early struts and housing and I currently have KYB's installed. I was wondering if I take the top nut off that connects the strut to the mount will it render them useless and have to buy new struts? I wish to change my front springs to go lower but I don't want to ruin the struts since they are on 10k miles in or less. Thanks for the assistance!
Old 09-15-2013, 01:13 AM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have an identicle setup to you Conrad, pulling the strut mount nut off will in no way render then useless. It is required to change springs. You can safely remove them with the strut/mount assembly out of the car since unlike stock springs, coilovers are not loaded when out of the car. Once you have the nut off, just pull the top hat off and change the spring, then reassemble. If you dont have the tools, you can use an oxygen sensor wrench that looks a bit like a deep crows foot to remove the nuts. Just hold the rods from spinning using a pair of needle nose pliers or vise grips. Are you going to a shorter length spring with the same rating?
Old 09-16-2013, 01:32 AM
CyCloNe!
Rennlist Member

Good to know, when I had mine made there was a mention about the struts being useless if disassembled. I currently have 10" springs and plan to go to 8" or a little shorter and same stiffness at 300lbs. With the 10" springs and fully dropped I'm only like 1/4 lower than stock and would like to be closer to 2". So the 8" or slightly smaller would do and give me more adjustable ratios under stock and still be able to go above if needed.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:42 AM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My springs are 8" 300 lb, my adjusters are right about in the center of their 5" range and I am ~ 2 inches lower than stock. I'd like to go to 400 lb in the future and replace the KYB inserts with some bilstiens.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:10 AM
CyCloNe!
Rennlist Member

Nice, I was hoping to replacing the KYB's as well they seem to soft to me. I still need to work on the rear suspension, I have crappy KYB gas adjust and found out after they are way too soft and suggested not to be on a m474 car. I'm going to do a coil-over setup in the rear and maybe remove the torsion bars.

Quick Reply: Early Strut Cartridge Question