Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

exhaust smoke on startup

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 05:41 PM
Carlsbergas
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust smoke on startup

Ok so i caught my eye on this, my 89 turbo is daily and this happened second time this week, first time while idling at intersection i saw smoke coming out of the exhaust deffinatly oil smell, as suddenly it appeard it sudenly dissapierd, i drove my car for few hours nothung, two days passed, today it did the same only on startup i was in other car (i borrowed it to my brother hes repairing his car) and this time there was alot of smoke, and surrely it dissapierd after like 20seconds i followed him for few miles, nothing, we had lunch, when we came back and he started the car, no smoke.. any ideas? Im lost..
Old 09-11-2013, 05:51 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

(oil leaking past the guides/minor scoring/aging rings?) be damned. drive 'er like you stole it.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:33 PM
Carlsbergas
Rennlist Member

Ech.. looks like winter rebuild is coming..
Old 09-11-2013, 06:33 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How many miles on the car? What color smoke?
Old 09-11-2013, 06:39 PM
Carlsbergas
Rennlist Member

91k miles, blueish white smoke, in past ten years or so something was done with the engine, oil pan was resealed i think it was rebuilt already, it has widefire headgasket, and when changing camshaft assembly as much as i was able to see everything looked newish.. not worn out it 25years
Old 09-11-2013, 06:45 PM
Carlsbergas
Rennlist Member

Ofc i might add when i was on vacation for a month, my brothers did like 500miles runing the car on 20psi.. and it has stock injectors and weltmeister chips, so i bet it wad running lean, anyway after i came back i jumped in the car went for a ride i went on full throttle to find out the boost was dialed up to 22psi and car started to missfire well thats what i thought at that moment, i think it was detonation since i heard a clanking sound from the engine, i dialed the boost back to 14psi and drove since then without any problems, untill this week i saw smoke.. fml
Old 09-11-2013, 06:52 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlsbergas
Ofc i might add when i was on vacation for a month, my brothers did like 500miles runing the car on 20psi.. and it has stock injectors and weltmeister chips, so i bet it wad running lean, anyway after i came back i jumped in the car went for a ride i went on full throttle to find out the boost was dialed up to 22psi and car started to missfire well thats what i thought at that moment, i think it was detonation since i heard a clanking sound from the engine, i dialed the boost back to 14psi and drove since then without any problems, untill this week i saw smoke.. fml
Dude..seriously? I don't mean to come across like an *** but you are always posting about clanks and misfires in your engine, and always seem to have problems with it. People have given you sound advice and you are still running a stock turbo at 22 psi with stock injectors? You are going to blow that engine up.

Blue smoke on start up is oil that pooled past bad valve seals overnight burning off. Your head is probably due for a rebuild. FYI the extreme heat from overworking that stock turbo is not doing your exhaust valves or guides any good.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:03 PM
Carlsbergas
Rennlist Member

Dougs, learn to read my bad english please
After i was told not to run it i dialed back to 14psi and ive been runing it like this since, but it was after my vacation, and my brothers didnt know anything about it so they ran the car at 22psi for about 500miles in a month.. WHILE I WAS AWAY

turbo isnt stock atleast the cold side is turbonetics turbo with 65mm opening, couldnt find any more info on it
edit: thanks for info dougs, i just hope i can drive it atleast occasionally now untill winter comes, i will be rebuilding whole engine
Old 09-11-2013, 07:19 PM
Carlsbergas
Rennlist Member

Now while im thinking about it. Runing 0w40 mobil one oil didnt help either
and car wasnt left overnight my brother met with me on lunch it was off while we smoked ciggarette so thats ni more than 10minutes then we went for a lunch thats when i saw the smoke when he started it, but after the same brake later when he started it there was no smoke
Old 09-11-2013, 07:39 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

Originally Posted by Carlsbergas
Ofc i might add when i was on vacation for a month, my brothers did like 500miles runing the car on 20psi....
Originally Posted by Dougs951S
Dude...

tomorrow off to war / sister heading off to Berkeley w/ the E-type?
Old 09-11-2013, 07:44 PM
Carlsbergas
Rennlist Member

Yeah whatever, troll as much as you like, we are big family
Old 09-11-2013, 07:49 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

you're very trusting. there are very few people here that would dare loan a car out running that kind of boost.

not to mention your brutally honest admission of loaning the car out, can only be categorized as unusual.

people tend not to treat other people's property (that they didn't sweat and toil over) nearly as well as their own.

in 1994, I loaned my '87S to my room mate for a couple of hours.

I got the car back and the fan relay was dead !!

what a day for the effing relay to go (very warm spring day in Austin, TX) !!

i was very lucky to have her back still breathing.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:58 PM
Carlsbergas
Rennlist Member

The thing is i didnt loan it or give to anyone, i left the keys in my writing table drower, i found out about the car being driven from the odometer, they didnt even tell me they drove it, untill i asked why the f there is 600more miles on it..

here is our driveway when everyone is home lol

Old 09-11-2013, 08:11 PM
jmj951
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dougs951S
Blue smoke on start up is oil that pooled past bad valve seals overnight burning off. Your head is probably due for a rebuild...
That's what I would bet on as well. Mine does the same thing, only on startup, and I can't find any oil coming past the turbo seals, so it almost has to be coming through the valve seals (probably not worn rings, or it would smoke all the time, right?).
Old 09-11-2013, 09:05 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

bad rings "might" smoke all the time, but will smoke a lot on boost.

Quick Reply: exhaust smoke on startup