Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

MAF Air Intake Isolation Results

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 01:52 PM
CyCloNe!
Race Car

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

Wow Shawn nice data, looks like I got a new project to do. Shawn your on a role man all these neat side projects
Old 09-04-2013, 02:07 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Relocating the air filter is on my project list for this winter. AIT's can get pretty ridiculous when idling in traffic on a warm day, or say when sitting in line at an Auto-X waiting for your turn to make a run. An awesome intercooler doesn't do you any good when AIT's are in the 160 range...

I was curious to know if the wall idea really worked. I'd be super interested to see if you had better/similar/worse results on a car that sat and idled for a while. Any chance I could convince you to repeat the test with a car that sat still at idle for 5 minutes at a time?

I'm hoping to work something out like George D did, with the filter relocated to the fender.
Old 09-04-2013, 02:43 PM
Dash01
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Thom
Did you pay attention to the scale on the left?
Yep, that pesky scale on the left shows positive and negative pressure.

Bringing air in at the most positive points and exiting it at the most negative points gives the greatest advantage.

As a practical matter, best to inlet at the very nose (stagnation point aerodynamically) and vent it over the hood, where the accelerating airflow acts as a venturi to suck the heated air out. That would be optimum design for the intercooler ducting. Works like a fish gill, which is why the fish evolved this way over millions of years.

A ram air nose inlet for the intake manifold would give some positive pressure to offset or overcome internal drag. Not much, but every little bit helps.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:25 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Good to see the old memory isn't quite dead yet. I mentioned NZ on that fb thread Shawn. Glad that someone found those links.

As for venting hoods, yes, this is not uncommon on many supercars and racecars.

<====== note avatar...

Last edited by 333pg333; 09-04-2013 at 05:44 PM.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:25 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fast924S
See
That's a 928.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:25 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

The pressure graph should be pretty similar, but I think he was mixing up air in, not out. There is enough reason to believe that some of these vented nose panels might be counter-productive without an opening in the hood to relieve pressure...and, yes, I used to run one like this. :-)
Old 09-04-2013, 09:11 PM
eman930
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Thom
Did you pay attention to the scale on the left?
Wow Idk how I mixed that up, sorry guys
Old 09-04-2013, 10:01 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Relocating the air filter is on my project list for this winter. AIT's can get pretty ridiculous when idling in traffic on a warm day, or say when sitting in line at an Auto-X waiting for your turn to make a run. An awesome intercooler doesn't do you any good when AIT's are in the 160 range...

I was curious to know if the wall idea really worked. I'd be super interested to see if you had better/similar/worse results on a car that sat and idled for a while. Any chance I could convince you to repeat the test with a car that sat still at idle for 5 minutes at a time?

I'm hoping to work something out like George D did, with the filter relocated to the fender.
I think when sealed like NZ it will help quite a bit at idle. I will do some testing and let you know.

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Good to see the old memory isn't quite dead yet. I mentioned NZ on that fb thread Shawn. Glad that someone found those links.

As for venting hoods, yes, this is not uncommon on many supercars and racecars.

<====== note avatar...
I like the avatar!
Old 09-04-2013, 10:22 PM
cas951
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive done this test several times. I placed cardboard boxes around the Cone air filter blocking it from the engine bay and the "hot" Coolant reservoir tank. I tested during Winter and summer months.

Winter test City streets: 45 deg ave
At idle and at a stop light AIT rises instantly from 45 deg to over 120 deg. Once you get going it takes awhile for AIT to drop to the tempt you started with. I mean several minutes of continous driving. The more you stop the higher the temp reaches and the longer it takes to drop.

I also turned on my headlights to see how fast the AIT came down. In doing this AIT dropped really fast so vented headlight will definitely help.

Summer months: 85 deg average
While stopped the temp went up so fast and beyond my digital thermometer could handle. The temp wasn't able to display the actual temp.

This is your typical digital temp from Radio Shack that had dual temp and a long wire that I routed outside my drivers Windows to the engine bay.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:34 PM
Reimu
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some people get cool air from the fender well oem style
Would a 90 degree bend downwards be that bad?
Old 09-04-2013, 11:39 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Originally Posted by cas951
Ive done this test several times. I placed cardboard boxes around the Cone air filter blocking it from the engine bay and the "hot" Coolant reservoir tank. I tested during Winter and summer months.

Winter test City streets: 45 deg ave
At idle and at a stop light AIT rises instantly from 45 deg to over 120 deg. Once you get going it takes awhile for AIT to drop to the tempt you started with. I mean several minutes of continous driving. The more you stop the higher the temp reaches and the longer it takes to drop.

I also turned on my headlights to see how fast the AIT came down. In doing this AIT dropped really fast so vented headlight will definitely help.

Summer months: 85 deg average
While stopped the temp went up so fast and beyond my digital thermometer could handle. The temp wasn't able to display the actual temp.

This is your typical digital temp from Radio Shack that had dual temp and a long wire that I routed outside my drivers Windows to the engine bay.
This makes me think about how bad my open air filter is on my car. I am still running an AFM. I wish someone would make a cold air kit for a stock car.

I think it would be easy to run a filter in the fender.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:54 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 86 951 Driver
This makes me think about how bad my open air filter is on my car. I am still running an AFM. I wish someone would make a cold air kit for a stock car.

I think it would be easy to run a filter in the fender.
Er, the stock setup was a cold air intake going to the fender well. If youre still using the AFM why not use the stock part to the fender well?
Old 09-05-2013, 08:34 AM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Originally Posted by theedge
Er, the stock setup was a cold air intake going to the fender well. If youre still using the AFM why not use the stock part to the fender well?
My car didn't come with a stock airbox. Also usually an open air filter makes more power unless it sucks in all hot air.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:59 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
I really don't understand how his setup fits without hitting the marker light and other stuff, I was messing around with intake paths in the same area and it's pretty tight right there...
Old 09-05-2013, 12:23 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
I really don't understand how his setup fits without hitting the marker light and other stuff, I was messing around with intake paths in the same area and it's pretty tight right there...
I don't either - it's definitely tight in there. I am just assuming his fits, I haven't seen it in person to verify. But even if you didn't do his exact setup, and pulled the tubing down lower and mounted the air filter behind the bumper cover up front or something....

It's something I'll mess with this winter when I get bored and start craving garage time.

Quick Reply: MAF Air Intake Isolation Results