Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Question about '86 Wheel Fitment

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 11:22 AM
Jherriott
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Question about '86 Wheel Fitment

Have been doing some searching but would also like to ask the gurus about these wheels fitting on a 1986 951:

Fikses

18x8 +51 offset fronts

18x10.5 +57 offset rears

Thanks in advance!

Jase.

Last edited by Jherriott; 09-06-2013 at 11:43 AM.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:39 PM
mudbuddha
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Fikse are good wheels. Assuming you have stock suspension set up- fronts will be fine up to 235mm tires- stay with 225mm to be safe as the front fenders are not rolled from the factory. Rears won't fit without some fender lips rolling at the minimum if not running a couple degrees of negative camber. Here's why: You will need early offset wheels as 86 have 23mm ET. So with 57mm you are roughly pushing the inner edge of the wheels more than an inch inwards (57 - 23.2) running into nuts and bolts back there. To combat this, you need spacer at least 25mm to push it back out to wards the outside fender lips. Coupled with running pretty wide 10.5 in. wheels, you will rub onto the lips at full compression since they don't come rolled from the factory like the S models. Running this wide of wheels in the rear, there is no point not using at least 285-295mm tires. And using these tires will add to the rubbing issues on the outside. Running 265mm will help a lot but then again, it will look out of place unless you are into the stretched look then you have to run 205mm in the front to match the look. At that point why bother running wider wheels in the first place and use skinny tires??? Ymmv as different suspension set up, lowering height, choosing tire manufacturers and your usage of the car are all factors in determining if you could run this set of wheels. Good luck.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:44 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mudbuddha
Fikse are good wheels. Assuming you have stock suspension set up- fronts will be fine up to 235mm tires- stay with 225mm to be safe as the front fenders are not rolled from the factory. Rears won't fit without some fender lips rolling at the minimum if not running a couple degrees of negative camber. Here's why: You will need early offset wheels as 86 have 23mm ET. So with 57mm you are roughly pushing the inner edge of the wheels more than an inch inwards (57 - 23.2) running into nuts and bolts back there. To combat this, you need spacer at least 25mm to push it back out to wards the outside fender lips. Coupled with running pretty wide 10.5 in. wheels, you will rub onto the lips at full compression since, they don't come rolled from the factory like the S models. Running this wide of wheels in the rear, there is no point not using at least 285-295mm tires. And using these tires will add to the rubbing issues on the outside. Running 265mm will help a lot but then again, it will look out of place unless you are into the stretched look then you have to run 205mm in the front to match the look. At that point why bother running wider wheels in the first place and use skinny tires??? Ymmv as different suspension set up, lowering height, choosing tire manufacturers and your usage of the car are all factors in determining if you could run this set of wheels. Good luck.
That is not true, 25mm spacers would push the lip of the wheel out 23mm past where the stock wheel lip sits. You are not taking into account the fact that in addition to the offset being deeper, the wheel is much wider than stock which actually puts the tire almost exactly where it is stock. In fact, a 57mm offset, 10.5 inch rear wheel sits only 2mm in from stock. My 10 inch et65 rears sit 15mm out from stock with a 1.25 inch spacer, and they still dont fill out the rear fender wells, and my fenders are not rolled. No rubbing. I recommend a 1/2 inch spacer to you for the rear. Your fronts will sit 28mm in from stock, so I recommend a 1.25 inch spacer for the front. This is all assuming you wont be rolling the fenders, and that your suspension is stiff enough to not rub under compression. My front springs are 300 lb and I'm running 28mm T-bars. As long as you are a good bit stiffer than stock my suggestions should work perfect for you.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:03 PM
mudbuddha
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

That is not true, 25mm spacers would push the lip of the wheel out 23mm past where the stock wheel lip sits.
Good point. I was thinking of getting the off set back close to stock ET. You didn't mention what tires you are running- anything less than 285mm on the OP 10.5" is less than ideal imo and you are asking him to run stiffer all around as well as lowered ( you have to if you running stiffer springs) so that's a lot of work and $$$ just to run the wheels. From the look of the car and the OP didn't mention anything about wanting to mod the suspension, I don't think spacers alone will work.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:39 PM
Jherriott
Rennlist Member

Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies! The tires I was thinking of running would be 245 front and 295 rear... My suspension is still stock atm, but there are lots of things on the car that I want to mod, so I wouldn't be spending just to get the wheels to fit! Thanks again for the info

Jase.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:27 AM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mudbuddha
Good point. I was thinking of getting the off set back close to stock ET. You didn't mention what tires you are running- anything less than 285mm on the OP 10.5" is less than ideal imo and you are asking him to run stiffer all around as well as lowered ( you have to if you running stiffer springs) so that's a lot of work and $$$ just to run the wheels. From the look of the car and the OP didn't mention anything about wanting to mod the suspension, I don't think spacers alone will work.
No the wheels will still work with bone stock suspension, he just needs to run slightly less aggressive spacers so that his wheels sit in stock location. For stock, don't run any spacer in the rear and run 1 inch up front. That will work fine, they will fit like stock.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:45 PM
Jherriott
Rennlist Member

Ok, I will check that out first! Thanks Doug!

Jase.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:52 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

They sound like they are built for a late offset car.

If you're going to get 3-piece wheels, why not get ones in the right offset?

I'm not a fan of using adapters anyway.

Also, that size is very aggressive even if the offset was spot on. 8" fronts may rub on the strut perches/springs. 10.5" rears could rub either in the inside well or the outer lip.

Take care,
Old 09-08-2013, 12:46 AM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm running 245/40-18 and285/30-18. No problem with rear fenders. Get perfect adapters made for rear. Fronts rubbed strut slightly. 7 mm spacer did trick.

86 with Konis

10.5 rear wheel, 55 offset
Old 09-08-2013, 12:51 PM
Jherriott
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tedro951
I'm running 245/40-18 and285/30-18. No problem with rear fenders. Get perfect adapters made for rear. Fronts rubbed strut slightly. 7 mm spacer did trick.

86 with Konis

10.5 rear wheel, 55 offset
Thanks Tedro,

I was thinking of changing my decision to 285s for the rear since they were 10.5" and just to work things into my favor. I appreciate the info!

I just picked up the wheels yesterday, should look sweet!

Jase
Attached Images   
Old 09-08-2013, 12:53 PM
Jherriott
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FrenchToast
They sound like they are built for a late offset car.

If you're going to get 3-piece wheels, why not get ones in the right offset?

I'm not a fan of using adapters anyway.

Also, that size is very aggressive even if the offset was spot on. 8" fronts may rub on the strut perches/springs. 10.5" rears could rub either in the inside well or the outer lip.

Take care,
Also something I can do if I have problems, thanks Frenchie!

Jase.

Quick Reply: Question about '86 Wheel Fitment