Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Any past or present E39 m5 owners

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 11:08 PM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alex, not the M5, but an E60 535i M-Sport. I was considering hte E39 M5's, as well.

To be frank, the cars are so different I can't really figure out the comparison. I LOVE my 535i, it makes more power than I can realistically use on the street. It feels light and nimble. Helps that I got one of the rare 6 speeds. But it is the daily driver/kid hauler. It isn't a sports car. But also, after having driven enough on the track, I don't know that I'd really want too much of a sports car on the street. I'm building an 89 Turbo S that won't be stock, but I'm doing that because I want to build one as much as anything.

For daily driving, the 535i really is about the perfect car. But if I were wanting a sports car, it is really a bit on the big side.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:17 PM
clubracer6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I just sold a 2010 535 msport 6 speed. Had it advertised here recently. Yes a great car, did everything very well but did not hold a candle to my e39 M5. Probably more on par with my e39 540 6 speeds that I had before the m5. Had an e34 too (best built bmw ever) and a e28 535is (another great that I miss). I sold my e60 because I wasn't driving it. Not enough to be a fun summer car and too nice to get beat up in the winter around here. Bought an Escalade used as a winter beater and race car hauler when needed. Now just need a street toy.
Old 11-14-2014, 06:42 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by clubracer6
Also had a 88 951 had it for 3 years and it was in the shop for 33 of the 36 months I owned it. I have always wanted another go at it but feel like they are more fragile than the e39 M, but this thread would have me believe otherwise.
Interesting...my experience, to date, couldn't have been more different.

In 15 years and ~70k miles, my '86 has been down on 3 occasions: 3 days, 2 days, and 12 days...for a grand total of 17, non-driveable, days.

The first 2 were unplanned, unexpected, failures...3-day break was a broken timing belt due to failed balance belt idler, and 2-day break was due to disintegrated reference sensor wiring on harness side. The 12-day break was due to a planned major driveline overhaul, including R&R of the engine, clutch, exhaust, driveshaft, and gearbox.

The take away...~1 down day per year.
Old 11-14-2014, 12:03 PM
kon5t
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by black944 turbo
Great write up. I do not want to jump into a car that requires more upkeep than the 951. I drove a beautiful Imola red m5 and liked it a lot, but as you said it was not as engaging to drive. I have a family I would like to take with me now, but maybe I am better off with what I have. Thanks again and if any other incites pleas respond.
I drove a 2003 E39M5 for 3 years whilst living in Germany near the ring. It was a DD, track car (about 25 excursions to the Ring, plus regular Sunday appearances at Hockenheim), it was used for drifting and generally had a hard live. It would also drive me from Mannheim to Frankfurt at 165 every working day. It was purchased 3 years old with 99 KM, sold at 160 KM.

In that time I got through three sets of tires, (one winter two summer), oil changes every 10k KM with the cheapest LL01 compliant oil I could find, and...... hmmmmmmmm nothing else.

Actually not trued I also changed the cam cover gasket, and had a replacement power steering pump under warranty.

They are no more to run than a porker, and not anywhere near as problematic as people suggest. Go for the brushed ally/stainless trim, and drive it like you stole it every day, you will love the torque. Also, get a 2002 or later, so you do not run into the cylinder bore issues of the earlier nikkasil models.

The E39M5 is BMW's greatest creation together with the E30M3 which is why good ones still cost 20k+, and will hold their value better than the current crappy load of "M" offerings.

Once you get used to it, and learn how far you can push it, it is an incredibly rewarding, ton and a half saloon, with acres of leather, from the highest build quality period BMW delivered, before the big cost cutting became too obvious.

If you buy one, you will love it, I guarantee it.
Old 11-14-2014, 02:30 PM
clubracer6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mel_t_vin
Interesting...my experience, to date, couldn't have been more different. In 15 years and ~70k miles, my '86 has been down on 3 occasions: 3 days, 2 days, and 12 days...for a grand total of 17, non-driveable, days. The first 2 were unplanned, unexpected, failures...3-day break was a broken timing belt due to failed balance belt idler, and 2-day break was due to disintegrated reference sensor wiring on harness side. The 12-day break was due to a planned major driveline overhaul, including R&R of the engine, clutch, exhaust, driveshaft, and gearbox. The take away...~1 down day per year.
Great to hear. Honestly, my 88 had issues from the moment I bought it. I was modded and the guy I bought it from didn't know how to operate it. Had that ARC2 set up, 17lbs of boost and all sorts of other issues. I should not have bought it to begin with. But as I talked about my issues here some 10+ years ago, many were having issues as well, which is probably why I have the perception I do. I'm looking at a 110k 89 with really good service history and completely bone stock. I would do a front engine service, timing belts, rollers and any seals etc... So hopefully that buys some reliability. Still a tough call, but I feel like I should give it one more shot.
Old 11-14-2014, 02:42 PM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by clubracer6
Great to hear. Honestly, my 88 had issues from the moment I bought it. I was modded and the guy I bought it from didn't know how to operate it. Had that ARC2 set up, 17lbs of boost and all sorts of other issues. I should not have bought it to begin with. But as I talked about my issues here some 10+ years ago, many were having issues as well, which is probably why I have the perception I do. I'm looking at a 110k 89 with really good service history and completely bone stock. I would do a front engine service, timing belts, rollers and any seals etc... So hopefully that buys some reliability. Still a tough call, but I feel like I should give it one more shot.
I would. A stock 944, well kept, with the major services done, also the venturi delete and vac line replacement would be a great running car
Old 11-14-2014, 09:07 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I looked at buying an E39 M5 over the summer but decided to pass, mainly due to the quirks of the S62 motor. I can deal with the usual BMW stuff of suspension bushings and cooling system but a few aspects of the S62 sort of spooked me. Mainly the 100k rod bearing change and the finicky Vanos. The prices are very attractive though, clean ones are well within the 15k range. But i think one can expect to put another $5-6k into it to bring it up to par mechanically. Clutch, rod bearings, vanos, cooling system...etc. My big turn off though was the relative rarity of the S62 in the event it needed replacement.

I ended up looking for a '03 E39 540i with M-Sport Package; specifically a 6-speed (only 1260 made!). I figured this was a worthy runner up as it has the M5 look, 6-speed and the more 'generic' M62 V8. The M62 has its quirks also, but nothing i considered a show stopper. It took a few months but i bought one back in early October.

The E39 M5 has been a dream car since high school when it came out. I would love to own one but the potential maintenance bills sort of scared me away. So i went with the slightly more reasonable 540i.

Comparing a E39 M5 and 951 is tough though. I would say if you wanted only one car to do it all, the M5 is the way to go. But if you can swing keeping a second 'fun' car then go with the 951. The 951 has great storage space in the hatch, but nothing beats having a huge trunk and 4-doors sometimes.

I think one bad *** ride would be an LSx swapped E39. You get a great ride with a reliable engine. Ive already been reading about them... . It would be great having an LSx swapped E39 to go with my LS1 swapped 951 .
Old 11-15-2014, 01:45 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Nice E39 Jon, may I mention that a VF Supercharger is an excellent addition to the M62?

I installed one on my buddies E39 over a weekend. It has adequate power now
Old 11-20-2014, 11:30 AM
Penguinracer
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Although there's a lot of hate for the car - I've owned my E32 750iL for 14 years and it's been incredibly reliable & trouble-free.

The V12 transforms the E32 -it makes it turbine smooth & it disguises the car's weight like it's a High Speed Train.

On the continent I've had the cruise-control on at an easy 130 mph cruise - at which it's only turning over at 4000 rpm. The massive rear leg-room, electric seats front & rear, effective aircon & Electronic Damper Control make for a magnificent passenger experience. Not bad for a 1988 car with 90K on it!
Tim
Old 11-20-2014, 11:39 AM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

+1 for the E32

Bought my '93 740i last summer with a whole 70k miles on it. Not surprisingly, these cars tend to be owned and driven by adults who have garages and $$ to maintain them. Add in the fact that BMW used their best paint/leather/plastic on the 7 series and I think they make a great 'grown up' car. Tech wise, they're still maintainable by us car geeks as well.

A set of H&R's, some 18' wheels and it even looks kinda slinky...

Old 11-27-2014, 01:09 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 972 Likes on 634 Posts

i know i'm late to the party, but with a considerable BMW history (16 owned, BMW CCA chapter president, raced an E30 in SCCA...) i have just a few thoughts. personally, i view these cars very differently and what you want from them, at the end of the day, is the key factor. the M5 is a great car and it's fast, but it's locomotive fast. it's not 'quick', imo, and the thing i like about porsches is that they are typically quick. another favorite of mine, shopping them now, is the 500E and they (500E and M5) are both boulevard bruisers - great highway cars, fast, tanks, great build quality, etc., but not something i'd consider as a replacement for a 951. if you want what an M5/500E offers, then move in that direction, but it won't be what the 951 can offer. the boost rush, the steering feel, the nimbleness - to a great extent - will be lost. for an enthusiast's 'family car', both are phenomenal options. point is, unless you need what the M5 offers, you might be disappointed in the differences. the M5 will not be disappointing on it's own merit's, though. of course, i have not brought into play the maintenance issues/costs of the comparison and the 951 will, believe it or not, be the better choice here. most of us are diy'ers on the 951, as it's required in making the car 'worthwhile' to own. the electronics of the M5 make it [potentially] a bit more problematic. good luck with the decision.
Old 12-01-2014, 02:15 AM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm kinda late to the party, but I did own an E39 M5 for a few years and I loved driving the car. I did not love keeping it in good repair, however. Parts weren't really that expensive if I shopped around, but, in the two years I had mine it seemed to need a new everything. Of course, YMMV. Part of my problem was my ex pretty much commandeered it and drove it daily and felt that the appropriate response to weird sounds and strange vibrations was to turn the stereo up louder. It seemed like every time I drove it, it just got worse. But, I really think that was her fault, not the car's. Needless to say, when when it came time to split the sheets, I was more than happy to give it (and the payment) to her, and let her deal with the impending catastrophe.

With all that said, it was a fantastic car, very fast, very comfortable, handled very well for a car of it's size.. but it's no replacement for the 951.

The story leading up to (and following) my purchase of the M5 is actually probably the most telling, and relevant in this context:

It all started a couple years before I bought the M5. I had an 85.5 944 N/A. Loved the car, poured tons of time and money into the car.. I loved it but I knew, deep down, it wasn't a turbo, and it was never going to be that cool. Late one night, while I was driving home from work, some jackass decided to take a nap while driving and inadvertently inserted his Toyota Tacoma into my tailpipe at a great rate of speed. The car was totaled, and I was pretty crushed.
Later that year, with some of my settlement money, I picked up an 85 Alfa Romeo GTV6, dumped a ton of money and time into it, drove it like crazy and sort of grew tired of it... there was something missing from it.. So, I bought a Mk2 Supra (First car I ever fell in love with as a kid). Spent a bunch of money and time on it, drove the hell out of it and sort of grew tired of it... again, something missing. So, I thought, maybe I need something truly exceptional to satisfy me... An E39 M5 should do the trick, right? How could a ~400hp super-luxury-awesomeness-monster not do the trick? Well, I poured a ton of money and time into it, drove it like crazy but still.. something missing... This was getting ridiculous (and expensive)! So, I thought about it... after all the time and money and driving I'd spent with my 944, the only thing I'd been missing was some fastness.. I knew what was missing from that car, but I couldn't identify what was lacking in any of the others.. So I bought a 951. I've poured a bunch of money and time into it, I've driven it like crazy... and? Nothing missing. Sure, I've got plans to make it "better" but I don't need to do any of them in order to absolutely love the car. I guess there really is no substitute.

It's just my story. Of course, everyone is different.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:05 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 409 Posts

Not that much different, trust me.
Old 12-01-2014, 12:06 PM
will951
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Techno Duck

I think one bad *** ride would be an LSx swapped E39. You get a great ride with a reliable engine. Ive already been reading about them... . It would be great having an LSx swapped E39 to go with my LS1 swapped 951 .
Originally Posted by MM951
Nice E39 Jon, may I mention that a VF Supercharger is an excellent addition to the M62?

I installed one on my buddies E39 over a weekend. It has adequate power now
Both good points. Over the last few weeks I've been looking at E39 wagons. Considering selling my M3 and doing an LS swap to the wagon. Probably add the M5 bumpers, etc.

But....the VF kit is CHEAP for the M5 sedan and would save a lot of headaches!
Old 12-01-2014, 02:09 PM
manticore33
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by will951
Both good points. Over the last few weeks I've been looking at E39 wagons. Considering selling my M3 and doing an LS swap to the wagon. Probably add the M5 bumpers, etc.

But....the VF kit is CHEAP for the M5 sedan and would save a lot of headaches!
Inspiration:

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...project/page50

I love the color.

As an e39 owner, I concur with this thread about the 951 being a special car.

Quick Reply: Any past or present E39 m5 owners