Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Running a bit rich - thoughts to adjust?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 04:09 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Running a bit rich - thoughts to adjust?

I recently replaced my WB O2 converting from an Innovate LC-1 and gauge to a Prosport Gauge with a UEGO controller. This was done principally to ensure all of my gauges were the same. (I know that the Innovate is considered an excellent product, but honestly I have had difficulty with it from the very beginning. It has been really hard to get calibrated and stay calibrated. More recently it has been erratic.) When it was working it was showing 14.7 AFR at idle and constant throttle. However, I have always believed that the car has been running a tad rich based on carbon in the tail pipe.

The new gauge seems to indicate that the rich condition does exist with idle of 14.2 to 14.4 and 14.2 at constant throttle.

My FQS is adjusted to -3% (Position 2) already. Any thought on what else I could do to lean things out a bit?
Old 07-08-2013, 05:50 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can jumper the altitude sensor... this will pull out an additional 6% of fuel.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:12 AM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

You can jumper the altitude sensor... this will pull out an additional 6% of fuel.
Thanks Joshua
Old 07-09-2013, 11:41 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

I'd want to figure out why it is running rich, especially if stock. It might be trying to tell you something's not working right (fuel pressure regulator, sticky injector, clogged air filter, temp sensor, O2 sensor, air flow meter, etc.), or that some new parts are not well matched?
Old 07-09-2013, 11:49 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
I'd want to figure out why it is running rich, especially if stock. It might be trying to tell you something's not working right (fuel pressure regulator, sticky injector, clogged air filter, temp sensor, O2 sensor, air flow meter, etc.), or that some new parts are not well matched?
+1

I'd be afraid to tune around a problem only to have it come back and bite you later.

I did the same thing with my "rich at WOT" issue... I kept trying to tune around it rather than solve the root cause. It only would have gotten worse.

Is your car running rich anywhere besides idle? I wouldn't think that simply a rich idle would cause a sooty tail pipe. And how do you know the black pipe is not burnt oil, etc?
Old 07-09-2013, 12:48 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Car is not stock. Vitesse MAF with 83 lbs injectors. Almost all parts noted are new within the last 2 to 3 years and air filter was cleaned in the spring. Grounds are all tight and clean.

Car is running without a t-stat (do not flame please - it is a choice that I made based on several consultations with highly capable mechanics and I know that Tom you ran without one for while) and this I know accounts for some of the soot on the tail pipe.

My point was much more along the lines of - it looked fine with the old Innovate and a little rich with the new Uego which has me wondering, which is right?

Is your car running rich anywhere besides idle? I wouldn't think that simply a rich idle would cause a sooty tail pipe. And how do you know the black pipe is not burnt oil, etc?
It is running rich at cruise as well.

Car does not appears to be any oil... I have added may .5L over the last 3K miles and have a know seep in the sump gasket and AOS.

Note the tail pipe of my 951 looks just like the one of my TR6 with unburnt hydrocarbons....

Hey, look everybody! Another band-aid provided by the best tuner on Rennlist!
Thank you for the comment although I was looking for constructive input
Old 07-09-2013, 12:59 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fergus, where is your wideband sensor located? Is the AEM bung the same as the Innovate one, and if not, did you change them? (I recall that the Innovate uses quite a deep fitting).
Old 07-09-2013, 01:20 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

The info here should help (I don't see the UEGO on the list, but yes, different widebands get different values):

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...cts-amp-Issues
Thanks. That's is super helpful. I figured that there was likely some level error across sensors. I am not going to get too freaked out by my readings.

Fergus, where is your wideband sensor located? Is the AEM bung the same as the Innovate one, and if not, did you change them? (I recall that the Innovate uses quite a deep fitting).
Charlie, I honestly did not check the bungs, but do recall that the sensors were very close in overall dimensions. Both sensors are Bosch, the newer one is a five wire and I think the older one is a 4 wire(?).

Chris White installed the bung, so I am relatively confident that it is acceptably placed.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:50 PM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would first go to a Dyno and get something more official then check the numbers with that of a computer read out before i did anything.

You can also just double check the Fuel Pressure and verify if it is 3 bar (if thats what your chips require) You are also running stock AFM right?
Old 07-09-2013, 02:59 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by carlege
I would first go to a Dyno and get something more official then check the numbers with that of a computer read out before i did anything.

You can also just double check the Fuel Pressure and verify if it is 3 bar (if thats what your chips require) You are also running stock AFM right?
Vitesse MAF with 3 bar FPR....
Old 07-09-2013, 03:40 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Did it just start acting up out of the blue or has this always been the case? How are your grounds? Temp sensor?
Old 07-09-2013, 06:08 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Did it just start acting up out of the blue or has this always been the case? How are your grounds? Temp sensor?
+1 to the question of recency.

The fact that it's running rich on cruise when you should for sure be in closed loop might suggest to me that your narrowband O2 sensor could be going bad.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:31 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Only since I swapped widebands.... The new wideband provides a consistent reading, just about .5 lower than the old one. Grounds are tight and clean, temp sensor reasonably new.

The fact that it's running rich on cruise when you should for sure be in closed loop might suggest to me that your narrowband O2 sensor could be going bad.
That's something that did not occur to me.... It would be worth verification.

Quick Reply: Running a bit rich - thoughts to adjust?