Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Arduino Data Logger Project

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 08:31 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Arduino Data Logger Project

Well, I want to log quite a few temp/pressure sensors on the hybrid stroker and the Zietronix is just not going to be able to handle it. Therefore I have been looking at the making my own 12 channel data logger using the Arduino Leonardo. The Leonardo has 12 analog inputs. I know Tom M has used the Arduino and had some success. The cost should be fairly cheap as the Leonardo is only $24:

http://arduino.cc/en/Main/arduinoBoardLeonardo

Then I will need the sensors. Been looking at these:

Temperature Sensor:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fst-307004

MAP Sensors:

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?ma...roducts_id=122

Or this looks like a cheaper possibility:

http://www.digikey.com/product-searc...0AP&vendor=375

http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...50DP-ND/684665

EGT Cheap Probe Possibility:

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5_22&products_id=87

Total cost should be fairly inexpensive at about $250. I am no EE so this ought to be interesting but fun. I will update my progress here as I hope to to put something together in the next few weeks.

Last edited by refresh951; 07-06-2013 at 11:04 PM.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:53 PM
nofalls
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out Adafruit.com for a logger board. Depending on the thermocouples you use along with i2c or DAC outputs there arel solutions there as well.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:01 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nofalls
Check out Adafruit.com for a logger board. Depending on the thermocouples you use along with i2c or DAC outputs there arel solutions there as well.
Very cool site! Thanks!
Old 07-06-2013, 09:22 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Cool data logger shield for the Ardurino that allows data storage to an SD card:

http://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-data-logger-shield
Old 07-07-2013, 12:28 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What program are you using to log with or display data?
Old 07-07-2013, 12:35 AM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paulyy
What program are you using to log with or display data?
I believe the data will be written to a CSV type file and then can be plotted in Excel or other apps. I am looking at an LCD display to toggle through live output but really not sure yet.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:39 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Arduinos are great, and if I can help, just let me know. Nice thing about the Arduino is that you can configure/program it to work with your existing sensors, including MAP, rpm, TPS, TPS switch, AFR, MAF, eng Temp, knock, etc., with bonus points for ignition advance and injector duty cycle... The analogRead function is fast at 100us, but it's 8 bit and you'd need to read sequentially, so that will limit you to under 800 samples per second for 12 channels (thought that's still 16 times faster than the zeitronix at about 50 samples per second). For that many channels, you might consider adding additional 10 bit ADC hardware. LCD's are simple too - see pic below...

For a super fast, super cheap, logger all ready to go, consider also one of the DataQ boxes. See some details in my post here:

http://reutterwerk.com/forums/showth...ercooler+temps
Attached Images  
Old 07-07-2013, 02:31 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Tom - Thanks. The DataQ is pretty cool. Do you have a schematic for your driver circuit? Also a bit OT but what kind of changes did you see when you switched to the FMIC?
Old 07-07-2013, 04:16 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

I'll dig up the circuit. Nothing fancy, just a voltage regulator and fixed resistor, so the sensors created voltage dividers the DataQ can log as variable voltages. It's cheaper and easier than the Arduino for sure, but you could make a cool logger with the arduino incorporating the hardware interrupts to pick up knock counts and glitches, along with RPM, ignition signals, etc. and then process them for human-friendly display (I've been mulling making an injector duty cycle and ignition advance gauge...). The DataQ is best for signal that can be easily made into variable 0-5vdc signals (TPS, MAF, IAT, temps, etc.).

The biggest difference with the front mount was the recovery time. I couldn't really tell any noticeable difference in post-I/C temps for street driving, but the temps returned to ambient sooner so successive boost runs stayed cooler. Since my car is a street car, I concluded it wasn't helping that much (though I'm sure it was also less restrictive). I ultimately pulled it out because it the mounting/ducting etc all seems a bit jerry-rigged for my liking...
Old 07-07-2013, 04:36 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
I'll dig up the circuit. Nothing fancy, just a voltage regulator and fixed resistor, so the sensors created voltage dividers the DataQ can log as variable voltages. It's cheaper and easier than the Arduino for sure, but you could make a cool logger with the arduino incorporating the hardware interrupts to pick up knock counts and glitches, along with RPM, ignition signals, etc. and then process them for human-friendly display (I've been mulling making an injector duty cycle and ignition advance gauge...). The DataQ is best for signal that can be easily made into variable 0-5vdc signals (TPS, MAF, IAT, temps, etc.).

The biggest difference with the front mount was the recovery time. I couldn't really tell any noticeable difference in post-I/C temps for street driving, but the temps returned to ambient sooner so successive boost runs stayed cooler. Since my car is a street car, I concluded it wasn't helping that much (though I'm sure it was also less restrictive). I ultimately pulled it out because it the mounting/ducting etc all seems a bit jerry-rigged for my liking...
Thanks again. I am running Rogue's Tuner/Logger so I have an awesome platform for monitoring/logging most sensors. Would be nice to add knock monitoring along with rpm to my temp/pressure data which should be easy enough. I think I will go with Arduino as I want to become familiar with it as I can see a lot of uses for it.

It will be nice to have pressure in addition to temp data.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:49 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by refresh951
Thanks again. I am running Rogue's Tuner/Logger so I have an awesome platform for monitoring/logging most sensors. Would be nice to add knock monitoring along with rpm to my temp/pressure data which should be easy enough. I think I will go with Arduino as I want to become familiar with it as I can see a lot of uses for it.

It will be nice to have pressure in addition to temp data.
Very true. Once you get going with the Arduino, its hard to stop coming up with new things to do with it... fancy gear based boost controller? Traction control (speedo calibrator gets you have way there)? Duty cycles? Ignition advance gauge? Wideband for price of the sensor only? Water injection (or 5th injector) controller? Finally control those fans however you want? Failsafe box for any combo of problems (too much knock, too lean at high boost, overboosting, overheating, etc.). List is endless. You can use the hardware interrupts to catch knock counts from the KLR, but it requires some careful coding to faithfully replicate a Curtis knock counter.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:39 PM
audisport
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is highly interesting to me, the only thing that scares me is the programming language and the learning curve to get results I'd want. Been doing some reading and there's a new 32 bit unit (Due), that also supports CAN for newer cars which I'd be interested in as well.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:52 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Very true. Once you get going with the Arduino, its hard to stop coming up with new things to do with it... fancy gear based boost controller? Traction control (speedo calibrator gets you have way there)? Duty cycles? Ignition advance gauge? Wideband for price of the sensor only? Water injection (or 5th injector) controller? Finally control those fans however you want? Failsafe box for any combo of problems (too much knock, too lean at high boost, overboosting, overheating, etc.). List is endless. You can use the hardware interrupts to catch knock counts from the KLR, but it requires some careful coding to faithfully replicate a Curtis knock counter.
Well, I got everything ordered and it should arrive in the next few days. I have a lot of ideas for this project. I ordered some cool pressure sensors that are pretty cheap. I am going with Adafruit TC Amplifier Breakout boards for EGT Sensors:

http://www.adafruit.com/products/269

Originally Posted by audisport
This is highly interesting to me, the only thing that scares me is the programming language and the learning curve to get results I'd want. Been doing some reading and there's a new 32 bit unit (Due), that also supports CAN for newer cars which I'd be interested in as well.
I will share my code in this thread and hopefully that will help! I think it would be cool to get a few guys working with the Adruino so we could collaborate. I am with Tom, this little board has a lot of potential for small automotive projects.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:58 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by audisport
For basic control stuff, the code is generally pretty simple. It's a version of C++ so useful to learn anyway. I've done BASIC and various machine language in the past (8088, 8051) and was able to pick up enough from the Arduino examples to get started right away. Don't let the code hold you back...
Old 08-07-2013, 11:51 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

How are things on the Arduino front? Here is my latest -- the Arduino is a remarkably capable fuel controller. I'm going to work on ignition next. With one Arduino for fuel and one for ignition, it seems plenty fast enough to handle the motor all by itself....
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Arduino Data Logger Project