Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Who is still using Weltmeister chips?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 11:59 AM
sfierle
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool, I am going to look into the boost enhancer for my set up.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:43 PM
bumper87
Instructor

I just sold a set of these chips. They were with the car when i got it. Had no shims in the wastegate and no 3bar fuel pressure regulator. Ran well and strong like that/ Although i've changed many many things since then.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:34 PM
Chibukis
4th Gear

I've found your discussion very interesting.
My 944 Turbo S has a weltmeister chip, that is installed with a 3bar regulator
When I go to the Yearly Technichal Inspection (legal Issues in Spain), I must replace the regulator for the original one, because, if not so, the CO ratio is too high, so I assume it’s running too rich in idle state
I suppose that, for a given amount of air, the richness depends on the time inyectors are open in a cycle (controlled by the DME), and the pressure of the fuel given to the inyectors (Controlled by the regulator). So when I substitute the 3bar regulator by the original one, I’am reducing the second factor, so I do with the richness.
On the other hand, the consumption is high even when not demanding high boost, so I assume that is running rich in the PT zone too.
And here are my questions:
• Is the weltmeister chip made for being rich in the whole range of revs?
• Is it mandatory for security reasons to be rich in the whole range or only in the high revs?
• Could it be right to reduce the richness at low and medium revs to reduce consumption and emissions?
• Could it be done by editing the time inyectors are open?
• Could it be done with some kind of revs-ruled regulator?
Thanks in advance
Old 05-06-2014, 01:30 AM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

um, i think there's some mis-information here:

first of all, i have been running welts for close to ten years now. originally i had it without the shims and it was horrible.. it was way too rich. you could smell raw gasoline whenever it was running and i think it actually made smoke from the richness. then i installed shims and it was so much better. i used a LBE to run the boost really low at 13 because i was worried about too much. i had it dynoed at this point and it was still way too rich and only made 198hp and 236lb so i raised boost to 15 and it runs pretty strong now. i have a 3.0 fuel regulator but haven't installed it yet and will probably post a thread asking if i should.

so i wouldn't even think of running these without the shims. i don't think the LBE will make up for the lack of shims but i could be wrong on that. and the shims are not tough to install. the hardest part is just getting under there. my bolts came off without any problem and no big deal. literally a half hour or so once you're under there.

and i've been running this set up for quite some time now so i assume i'm somewhere in the ballpark. of course, nothing beats an AFR gauge (which i still don't have!)
Old 05-06-2014, 06:32 AM
Chibukis
4th Gear

Superloaf, are the shims part of the weltmeister kit?

Last edited by Chibukis; 05-06-2014 at 06:32 PM.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:27 AM
sfierle
Rennlist Member

I see my old post has resurfaced. I found little info and a lot of conflicting opinions on these old chips, so I never installed them for fear of damaging my engine.
Old 05-08-2014, 12:59 PM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Chibukis
Superloaf, are the shims part of the weltmeister kit?
Yes, they originally came with shims but I got my chips from a friend and didn't get the shims with them. I bought the shim (I just used 1) from vertex if I remember correctly. The guy at vertex worked for weltmeister and actually knew a lot about them and just what was needed for them. And they are very strong chips. There is a thread on here that has a dyno with just the welt chips and it's so high that no one believed that's all he had done to the car. It's worth finding for the dyno and some other info. I'll look for it later when I have some time and put a link here.

And I'm also interested in just how the 3.0 fpr affects the fuel ratio and if it's everywhere in the curve or any info about it.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:36 AM
Chibukis
4th Gear

Originally Posted by superloaf
Yes, they originally came with shims but I got my chips from a friend and didn't get the shims with them. I bought the shim (I just used 1) from vertex if I remember correctly. The guy at vertex worked for weltmeister and actually knew a lot about them and just what was needed for them. And they are very strong chips. There is a thread on here that has a dyno with just the welt chips and it's so high that no one believed that's all he had done to the car. It's worth finding for the dyno and some other info. I'll look for it later when I have some time and put a link here.

And I'm also interested in just how the 3.0 fpr affects the fuel ratio and if it's everywhere in the curve or any info about it.
Would it be possible to ask the guy from vertex?
Old 05-16-2014, 12:12 PM
CO951
Burning Brakes

One thing I've never seen mentioned her is much about the Welt KLR chip, because mine allowed the boost to go slightly higher.
I bought the car with stock chips and LBE. I saw improvement when I went to Wlet chips, 3.0 FPR and shims slightly thicker than what came with the Welt kit. I later tried the the 951 Max chips and there was slight improvement, but I noticed it didn't boost quite as high. I installed the Welt KLR with the 951 Max chips and the boost was back up. I talking a differance of about half a mark on the stock gauge, but it came and went everytime I changed the KLR chip. It looks like theWelt chips allows the KLR to go to the max limits of what the physical sensor in the KLR will allow. (How much more power you get from ~.1 bar boost I'm not sure.) I've stayed with the Welt KLR ever since.
To complete the comparisons I worked with Josh testing his A tune chip and after it was complete switch back to both the Welt and the 951 Max and there was no doubt the A-tune was better than either of them. Just like described before as turning the AC off. I have since gone to the M-tune and e-85 while still running stock boost and it has so much more in the low and mid range than before.

From my slow, progressive increases. I would say the Welt is a nice little improvement if you get it real cheap, but if you're going to spend a little money go ahead and go to the A-tune it is without a doubt another step up most aftermarket chips. But if you get a Welt KLR chips use it and keep it!
Old 01-11-2015, 12:23 PM
Geoff Baltz
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

I have a set of TC-8200 chips. 24 Pin DME and KLR.

They work great. I took them out this weekend as I am putting in a standalone ECU.

Anyone want them? $100. PM me....

Last edited by Geoff Baltz; 01-11-2015 at 02:22 PM.
Old 01-11-2015, 01:50 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

I was about to say that old performance chips aren't worth much these days, since there are so may BIN files floating around for free, but the CARB number on those chips might make them interesting to a California owner who wants to keep his/her car strictly smog legal.
Old 01-11-2015, 02:00 PM
Geoff Baltz
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

And a bit more plug and play for the kids that didn't take apart their new toys on Christmas morning.

I have to say that these were solid chips. With them I had a 2.5 Bar FPR, 3" Exhaust w no CAT, stock wastegate, and Lindsey Quad MAF. She dyno'd at 275HP and 315TQ at wheels with 13.5 psi of boost.

Quick Reply: Who is still using Weltmeister chips?