Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Can I rebuild the control arm?

Old 05-11-2013, 03:54 PM
Snugglepush
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I rebuild the control arm?

Hello guys,

I've been researching a lot about this topic but I have found too many contradicting opinions so I need one true answer before I decide to purchase anything.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170701183813 this is the link for the Deluxe Ball Joint rebuild kit with bronze bushing.

I'm wondering if my control arms from an 1986 951 *early offset* are rebuildable? The part numbers are 951.341.149.00 and 951.341.150.01.

From what I understand, mine are aluminium control arms so they are rebuildable with the kit? Please confirm.

Thanks a lot guys,

Matt
Old 05-11-2013, 04:57 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Renbay kit is nice. Mine work fine and never had any issue. Check them often just because I'm always looking over my car.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:22 PM
Snugglepush
Advanced

How difficult is the procedure? I'm afraid of messing up. In addition, would it be possible to not be able to rebuild the arm if the condition is bad? I'm not sure how to check that if the arm is still mounted on the car and the old ball joint is still in place and holding on for now.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:17 AM
gruhsy
Drifting

Arms are easily rebuildable.....If yours can't be you would know simply by looking at physical damage on the arm. It's a very easy procedure. The directions are good. Clean them up. Pop out the retaining ring on the back and drop the new ones in. Just be careful with what you use to pop out the old retaining ring. You don't want to damage the surface that the snap ring sits in. It's not something you can mess up easily. If you can change a tire you can do a ball joint.

Good luck
Old 05-12-2013, 01:03 AM
Snugglepush
Advanced

ok thanks for your great input
Old 05-12-2013, 01:14 AM
gruhsy
Drifting

I should have taken pics when I rebuilt mine...would have helped
Old 05-12-2013, 03:24 AM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Since you have an 86, your car is early offset. You can easily and very cheaply convert to the early steel control arms which are not only much stronger, but have very cheap and easy to replace ball joints. My 87 is running early offset and when my ball joints bite the dust I will be running steel arms. The early ball joints are ~10 dollars a piece and the arms are ~25.
Old 05-12-2013, 01:06 PM
Snugglepush
Advanced

Dougs951s, you have made my day!!! Can you show me precisely what the steel control arms look like and where I could get a pair? I'm assuming this swap is only recommended for street cars. I'm so excited now haha
Old 05-12-2013, 01:26 PM
Snugglepush
Advanced

So I just did some research and it seems that I should definitely go with the steel arms... Steel doesn't break, it just bends if abused really hard. Also the sheet metal of aluminium seems to be heavier than the small sheet Steel so I might actually be weight saving. And definitely the biggest advantage would be $$$$. If I decide to get this from Paragon http://www.paragon-products.com/Cont....153d-race.htm, would I need anything else or do anything else? I think this is a kit made to help with these swaps. Thanks for all your help
Old 05-12-2013, 05:10 PM
Snugglepush
Advanced

yes Robstah :P I saw your detailed post on the steel arms vs alum ones. I'm very convinced about the steel ones now. Just wondering if I'll need anything else besides this kit offered by Paragon: http://www.paragon-products.com/Cont....153d-race.htm
Old 05-13-2013, 11:03 PM
Antonio
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

First off, the Rennbay kit does a pretty good job. I have used it to rebuild two pairs of control arms on a race S2 with zero issues. As far as converting to steel, I run them on the '86 Turbo race car. They are great for a track car because the ball joints can easily be replaced. For a street car maybe not so much. First off, in addition to the arms and the ball joints you'll need to buy the bushings and the caster clips. Also you will need to dril the control arm for the sway bar link and probably weld some metal to reinforce that spot. By the time you'll done all that you'll be well past the price of the Rennbay rebuild kit. If your aluminum arms are in decent shape I suggest you rebuild them.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:14 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Antonio
First off, the Rennbay kit does a pretty good job. I have used it to rebuild two pairs of control arms on a race S2 with zero issues. As far as converting to steel, I run them on the '86 Turbo race car. They are great for a track car because the ball joints can easily be replaced. For a street car maybe not so much. First off, in addition to the arms and the ball joints you'll need to buy the bushings and the caster clips. Also you will need to dril the control arm for the sway bar link and probably weld some metal to reinforce that spot. By the time you'll done all that you'll be well past the price of the Rennbay rebuild kit. If your aluminum arms are in decent shape I suggest you rebuild them.
This is what I have found too. Unless you buy a used set of complete arms and get new bushings. Then it will be any the same cost if not more.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:57 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Support Rennbay. Travis is a 'lister, has good documentation on his website, and is a good person to deal with.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:36 PM
dmcampbell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Van
Support Rennbay. Travis is a 'lister, has good documentation on his website, and is a good person to deal with.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:10 PM
Snugglepush
Advanced

Hey Guys,

Let me keep you guys updated! I decided to go with the steel arms because I picked up the bushings + Sway Bar Links from a 83 Parted 944 from Elliott (Drifta944). I bought brand new steel arms + racing bushins from Paragon Products with Jason who was of great help. I don't believe to need to drill or weld anything with this setup and it cost me less than the rebuild kit The thing is that I was away from town so I couldn't check if my arms were rebuildable but I decided to go with the conversion anyways I'll post pics soon

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can I rebuild the control arm?