82 Octane Gasoline in Bogota, Columbia

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 10:36 PM
seattle951
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 82 Octane Gasoline in Bogota, Columbia

Hello,

I will be living Bogota Columbia for 2 years and will need a car. My 944 Turbo is modified, runs 17 PSI boost and has been lowered. It would not do well in Bogota. However, I would like to have a 944 in Bogota.

There are two grades of gas in Bogota, 82 and 85 octane. If I were to purchase and take a stock 944 turbo to Bogota, would it be possible to disable the turbo? With a 8:1 compression ratio, a 944 turbo without the turbo should do well. Bogota is third highest altitude city in South America at 8,600 feet.

After my two year are up and I return to the US, I would reactivate the turbo.

Any thoughts about how well this would work?

I also have a 1999 Chevrolet Suburban 2500 with a 454 motor. The K2500 is 4 inches taller than the standard Suburban. This car will not work since gas costs $5 per gallon, the roads are narrow and the underground parking will not accommodate even a normal sized SUV.

I am also considering a 1987 924S since it runs on regular in the U.S. The 1988 requires premium.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:41 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Bogata you say? Watched a documentary on it called "A Clear and Present Danger". Looks like a tough place. Stay away from Lindo coffee!
Old 05-03-2013, 10:54 PM
Ben951S
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Octane booster. Profit.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:07 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could add some AV gas, work the law of averages and up the octane. Just remember to add an ounce of Marvel Mystery oil or some lubricant to the AV gas for each gallon used. Paint thinners; Xylene @ 117 octane or Toluene @ 112 IIRC.

Having been in Santa Marta, Medellin, Cartagena, and Baranquilla, I'd find a Toyota pick up to take unless the roads are better in Bogota.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:26 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

At that altitude, off-boost power will be down 30% or more (depending on weather conditions)...
A 2.5L, low-compression, tall-geared turbo car is not very friendly for around-town driving at high altitude.

Another thing to consider. At high altitude a NA car has a lower octane requirement, as the engine has less cylinder pressure.

My 944NA is much easier to drive, and quicker around town compared to my 951 at Denver altitude (5-6k feet).
Old 05-04-2013, 12:29 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

FQS switch, isn't that what it's for?
Old 05-04-2013, 01:05 AM
seattle951
Pro

Originally Posted by Paulyy
FQS switch, isn't that what it's for?
This is the first time I have ever heard of the Fuel Quality Switch (FQS) in the DME. I will research this further.

Maybe the combination of the altitude and the FQS will do the trick. If there is a ping, the DME/KLR should catch it and retard the timing.

Thanks for the input.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:55 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

http://members.rennlist.com/951_racerx/FQS-adjust.html
Old 05-04-2013, 09:48 AM
lee101315
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by seattle951
Hello,

I will be living Bogota Columbia for 2 years and will need a car. My 944 Turbo is modified, runs 17 PSI boost and has been lowered. It would not do well in Bogota. However, I would like to have a 944 in Bogota.

There are two grades of gas in Bogota, 82 and 85 octane. If I were to purchase and take a stock 944 turbo to Bogota, would it be possible to disable the turbo? With a 8:1 compression ratio, a 944 turbo without the turbo should do well. Bogota is third highest altitude city in South America at 8,600 feet.

After my two year are up and I return to the US, I would reactivate the turbo.

Any thoughts about how well this would work?

I also have a 1999 Chevrolet Suburban 2500 with a 454 motor. The K2500 is 4 inches taller than the standard Suburban. This car will not work since gas costs $5 per gallon, the roads are narrow and the underground parking will not accommodate even a normal sized SUV.

I am also considering a 1987 924S since it runs on regular in the U.S. The 1988 requires premium.

As for bypassing the turbo on the 951, Id simply remove the waste gate, take the valve and spring out, and reinstall it hollow. Should do the trick.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:12 AM
s14kev
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

If I was moving to Bogota, a 944 would be the last car I would drive.

A trip like that is a great opportunity to blend in with the locals and experience their culture. You are best off doing that by NOT looking like a foreigner in a Porsche.

I would look at something supremely reliable first. IIRC Bogota was one of the most violent cities in the world at one time. I would maybe look at something with bulletproof glass second (j/k!)
Old 05-04-2013, 11:21 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by s14kev

A trip like that is a great opportunity to blend in with the locals and experience their culture. You are best off doing that by NOT looking like a foreigner in a Porsche.

I would look at something supremely reliable first. IIRC Bogota was one of the most violent cities in the world at one time. I would maybe look at something with bulletproof glass second (j/k!)
one of these?

Old 05-04-2013, 11:43 AM
s14kev
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paulyy
one of these?

No. I got one of those after moving from Australia to Tennessee. It's perfect here in the south but for Bogota I would look from something with more firepower. This is ideal:
Attached Images  
Old 05-04-2013, 12:19 PM
seattle951
Pro

Originally Posted by s14kev

Bogota is a city of 8 to 12 million people. The northern part of the city is affluent with shopping malls and plenty of high end cars. There is Porsche dealership in every major city in Columbia. I have sent an e-mail to the Bogota Porsche Club for input. The club sponsors their own DE days, road trips, and luncheons. The track they uses is about 45 minutes outside of Bogota. Judging by the pictures they post on-line, they seem to like 911s and Panameras. If anything, my 944 will stick out because it is low budget. I am curious how the local PC is dealing with low octane fuel. I will pass on what they tell me.

I think Bogota suffers from its reputation from the 1990s and movies like "Clear and Present Danger". Columbia has been fairly well cleaned up and is far less dangerous than cities in Mexico.

I just completed a two year assignment in Lagos, Nigeria. It was far more dangerous than Bogota. Believe it or not, there were plenty of Porsches, huge numbers of BMWs and Mercedes, with occasional Rolls Royces, Maybachs, Ferraris, Maseratis and Austin Martins. Before I left, I was bidding on a 1973 Ferrari Dino with a bad motor. It turned out to be to difficult to import back to the U.S. Too bad, it would have been a fun project car.

Thanks for the input.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:38 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Maybe its not the same octane test, remember ours is (R+M)/2 octane
Old 05-04-2013, 12:51 PM
s14kev
Rennlist Member

Generally, third world nations (like Nigeria) will have a decent contingent of exotic vehicles. In such nations, a small minority control the bulk of the wealth and will often flaunt their wealth. The ability to flaunt wealth in such nations is also linked to your "alternative" means of income. In poor nations if you flaunt weath, you need the backing of and association with organized crime since everyone wants what you have. I'm not sure of your employment but a majority of foreigners who work in Nigeria are associated with the petroleum industry. Many live in Company run enclaves that are segregated from the local population for safety reasons.

Colombia is not a third world nation. It is a developing nation so not anywhere as poor as Nigeria. Many places will be comparable to the US. If you are affluent and can run with the big boys in Bogota, their exotic cars and lifestyle then you are probably in a different category to most 944 enthusiasts. Don't get me wrong. I think Bogota would be a great assignment for 2 years and I would love to experience what you will over the next 2 years. Keep us posted on your experiences there.

Quick Reply: 82 Octane Gasoline in Bogota, Columbia