Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Engine rebuild DIY

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 12:31 AM
minho78
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine rebuild DIY

I have searched a lot and I can't find a single thread explaining how to rebuild a 944 engine. Anyone up for the challenge?
Old 04-18-2013, 12:35 AM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

This series of videos from Van is a pretty good start!
Old 04-18-2013, 12:44 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

it's easy. basically, what ever comes off, must go back on. unless it's rubber, that gets swapped with a new one
The following users liked this post:
Klkmmg (02-14-2020)
Old 04-18-2013, 12:46 AM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

+1 on Van's stuff

http://www.haynes.com/products/productID/459

http://www.2010.cannell.co.uk/manual...s_porsche.html
Old 04-18-2013, 01:00 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The only time i used any info was on torque specs and ring clearances. other then that, it's like lego.

What do you plan on changing?
Old 04-18-2013, 01:12 AM
minho78
Burning Brakes

I have to take it apart and check for damage but it seems the HG gave up and with the pressure of the compression the hose by the heater valve gave up. Then I ran it another mile to just get it of the highway. Lots of smoke.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:13 AM
minho78
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by divil
This series of videos from Van is a pretty good start!
First time I see these videos. Van lives about an hour from me, I wish he was my neighbor.

Thanks for sharing
Old 04-18-2013, 01:18 AM
minho78
Burning Brakes

I have the Haynes Manual somewhere, I guess I have to do a lot of reading.

Thanks
Old 04-18-2013, 01:59 PM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 319 Posts

Absolutely you need to get the factory workshop manual, available from on-line retailers as a CD with pdf files for about $20.

Download the Porsche parts manual (PET). It actually has some very detailed drawings of how everything goes together in easy to digest drawings. God bless the **** Germans!

One thing I would suggest if you've never torn any engines down is to buy a known bad engine for cheap from a junkyard and just practice by taking it apart and putting it back together. It doesn't have to run when you're done but you will gain a lot of knowledge and confidence about how they are put together. I have an old Volvo engine that has been taken apart and put back together several times by young guys that come over to my place to learn.

Take a zillion pictures as you take things apart. The internals are pretty straight forward but the exterior stuff can be confusing as you go back.

Just FYI, you probably already realize this, but the parts to do a fairly complete rebuild are going to run from $1000 to $2000 (the clutch alone is close to $700) and machine shop work will run $250 to $1000.

Assuming that white car in your avitar is the candidate, it looks great and certainly deserves the best treatment. And after spending all that money she won't kick you to the curb for another guy
The following users liked this post:
jmc1590 (02-07-2020)
Old 04-18-2013, 03:24 PM
minho78
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by harveyf
Absolutely you need to get the factory workshop manual, available from on-line retailers as a CD with pdf files for about $20.
Will do.
Download the Porsche parts manual (PET). It actually has some very detailed drawings of how everything goes together in easy to digest drawings. God bless the **** Germans!
I already started looking at it last night
One thing I would suggest if you've never torn any engines down is to buy a known bad engine for cheap from a junkyard and just practice by taking it apart and putting it back together. It doesn't have to run when you're done but you will gain a lot of knowledge and confidence about how they are put together. I have an old Volvo engine that has been taken apart and put back together several times by young guys that come over to my place to learn.

Take a zillion pictures as you take things apart. The internals are pretty straight forward but the exterior stuff can be confusing as you go back.

Just FYI, you probably already realize this, but the parts to do a fairly complete rebuild are going to run from $1000 to $2000 (the clutch alone is close to $700) and machine shop work will run $250 to $1000.
The rebuild kit is about 1K. The clutch only has 13k miles.
Assuming that white car in your avitar is the candidate, it looks great and certainly deserves the best treatment. And after spending all that money she won't kick you to the curb for another guy
It is is in really good shape.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:44 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

If you're sure the HG is toast, then start by getting the head off before you buy a complete rebuild kit. With the head off, you can at least look at the cylinders, check the head and block with a straight-edge, and inspect the head for damage. Maybe all the problems/damage will be in the head, and you can leave the bottom end alone.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:26 AM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 319 Posts

Just FYI, regarding special tools that you will need to get down to the level of the head gasket you'll need a set of "12 point triple square" aka "cheese head" sockets for the bolt on the end of the cam shaft. If you get to that point, the bolts on your clutch plate and flywheel may also be triple square.

Not mandatory but a simple gear puller is a big help to get sprockets off the ends of the balance shafts, crank shaft, etc.

I also find that a set of long extension metric allen head sockets is a big help to reach into the cam tower and get the allen head bolts lurking in there. But it can be done with the stubby sockets and and extension. I don't think a manual (L) allen wrench would reach.

You will of course need a tool to check the timing belt tension when you put things back together. I have found the Arnworx tool to work great. You'll need a torque wrench.

If you get into the bottom end and pistons you'll need a ring compressor. You'll want new nuts for the big end studs on the piston rods.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:37 AM
minho78
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
If you're sure the HG is toast, then start by getting the head off before you buy a complete rebuild kit. With the head off, you can at least look at the cylinders, check the head and block with a straight-edge, and inspect the head for damage. Maybe all the problems/damage will be in the head, and you can leave the bottom end alone.
I guess that will be step one. The engine has now 81K miles, and I know the RMS it's leaking. I hope it's something simple like you state. I have another good head in the garage.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:39 AM
minho78
Burning Brakes

The only thing I don't have is the ring compressor. The connecting rod nuts have to be purchased. Any recommendations?
TIA
Old 04-19-2013, 12:19 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Do you have a Harbor Frieght up in NY? I bought my ring compressor from HF. In fact I buy a lot of stuff from HF.

Quick Reply: Engine rebuild DIY