Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Deck plate for closed deck block, options?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 02:57 PM
KSira
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 18 Posts
Question Deck plate for closed deck block, options?

Need a deck plate for a 3.0L bloock. Dave @ CEP would only sell it if he got to install the deck plate (No hard feeling, he seems like a great guy). Are there any other options out there?
Old 04-15-2013, 03:03 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Darton sleeves if you don't mind wet sleeving.

Old 04-15-2013, 03:32 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I doubt you'll find anyone just selling the deck plate. For proper installation, it requires machIning the block perimeter as well as the cylinder OD. Each builder is going to use different depths and interference tolerances.

I do know that FRF will be selling blocks in the next year. We are going to be testing them out soon.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:47 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Yep, no-one will just sell you the deckplate itself. It's not like you can just glue it in there. The whole thing needs to be assembled very carefully with the block.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:26 AM
KSira
Racer

I know that it has to be fitted by machining the engine block. I'm not an idiot who thinks it is a bolt on thing that can be fitted with a spanner. I just do not want to ship an engine block all the way to USA, when this could just as easily be installed by a proper machine shop here in Norway, given the proper installation instructions.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:16 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

No one is implying that you're an idiot but you would probably find that the people that offer this service want to make sure it's done properly and also control the intellectual property of the parts and process.
Rather than ship a block to the U.S., have the process done and ship it back to you, you could have them supply you a fitted short block with the deckplate installed perhaps? Then at least you only ship it one way?
Old 04-16-2013, 05:42 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

thats the hardest thing. deck plates will be different from who made it. The reason dave wont just supply you it is because he doesn't want the blame if something goes wrong. And obviously he wont give out secrets on how he would go about installing it.

Darton wet sleeve would be a good option. pretty close to a closed deck as it has a lot of surface around the top of the sleeves.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:42 AM
KSira
Racer

Originally Posted by 333pg333
No one is implying that you're an idiot but you would probably find that the people that offer this service want to make sure it's done properly and also control the intellectual property of the parts and process.
Rather than ship a block to the U.S., have the process done and ship it back to you, you could have them supply you a fitted short block with the deckplate installed perhaps? Then at least you only ship it one way?
My point was that I know it is not an easy fit, should have used one of these to not come of to aggressive. Anyway Darton sleeves are to expensive, and buying a new engine block with plate is probalby not much cheaper. Since I use a stand alone ems with ebc, we will limit boost on peak toque to keep the cylinder pressure down, and increase the boost to keep the toque up while rpm climbs. This should give me lots of power and a nice linear power curve
Old 04-16-2013, 08:56 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KSira
My point was that I know it is not an easy fit, should have used one of these to not come of to aggressive. Anyway Darton sleeves are to expensive, and buying a new engine block with plate is probalby not much cheaper. Since I use a stand alone ems with ebc, we will limit boost on peak toque to keep the cylinder pressure down, and increase the boost to keep the toque up while rpm climbs. This should give me lots of power and a nice linear power curve
Talk to dave about a camshaft. instead of playing with boost. keep the boost steady and get a cam to hold your torque more steady.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:06 AM
KSira
Racer

Originally Posted by Paulyy
Talk to dave about a camshaft. instead of playing with boost. keep the boost steady and get a cam to hold your torque more steady.
Why is that a better solution? Cams would no doubt be a useful upgrade, but why not use the options at hand and play with boost to get the best out of my engine?
Old 04-16-2013, 09:15 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

well the higher the engine revs, the more air you want to force into it which is straining the turbo to keep a straight curve especially with the stock cam. You'll need a turbo that can boost low enough to support more boost at higher rpm.
Where if you get an appropriate cam, you can keep a steady boost level and probably have more of a power band.

There's nothing wrong with the other way. it might work better with a different type of turbo. all depends on the rest of your set up. But i'd rather get the cam.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:33 AM
KSira
Racer

Originally Posted by Paulyy
well the higher the engine revs, the more air you want to force into it which is straining the turbo to keep a straight curve especially with the stock cam. You'll need a turbo that can boost low enough to support more boost at higher rpm.
Where if you get an appropriate cam, you can keep a steady boost level and probably have more of a power band.

There's nothing wrong with the other way. it might work better with a different type of turbo. all depends on the rest of your set up. But i'd rather get the cam.
Thank you for your input. This could be a problem, but I hope not. Will be interesting to see the results.

This is a 16V (S2) engine with a precision CEA 6266 or 6262 with AR .82, custom intake, and ported head. The turbo should not struggle to keep up with higher boost through the RPM range. A set of custom cams to complete my setup would no doubt be nice, but that will have to be for later. It is already getting to expensive as it is.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:07 AM
michaelmount123
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 133 Posts

The 2.7 and 3.0L 944 blocks are designed with far more cylinder stability than the 2.5L. Not only are the supported by much shallower water jackets, they are also tied together at the deck surface. I don't believe there would be an appreciable improvement with a deck plate on these blocks.

If you need one from past experience, I'll bet there's another issue to address. Can you elaborate on why you think you need one?

MM
Old 04-16-2013, 11:12 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Michael, do you think there is any possible downside to the 2.7 or 3L blocks for those very same reasons you state? In regards to localised hot spots with less overall cooling potential with the webbed cylinders and shallower water jackets.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:46 AM
michaelmount123
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 133 Posts

I see no downside. Re cooling: The heat is generated at the top of the cylinder, so it only makes sense to focus the cooling there. The webbing is also designed with cooling in mind.

I don't know how thick the deck plates are, nor how they're integrated with the cylinders, but the I'd be interested in seeing how dimensionally stable (i.e. round) a hot cylinder stays with a plate installed. This would be tough to test, though.

I did develop some special head studs to use with the 2.7/3.0 turbocharged blocks. I think the studs on the market don't do what they are intended to do.

Quick Reply: Deck plate for closed deck block, options?