FYI I'm using the stock flywheel.
Old 10-17-2014, 04:05 AM
Pfc. Parts
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulyy
FYI I'm using the stock flywheel.
That doesn't surprise me at all Paul, in fact I didn't even bother asking

I'd been looking at the Fidanza 199441 flywheel but after reading the reports here on Rennlist as well as 944online I started to think the very light weight FW's were the root cause of the "shuttering" and juddering reports comming from folks who'd used not only the Spec clutches but also Centerforce and whatever it is Vertex is selling. The common factor was the light weight FW; Some folks loved these clutches and others hated them, but the hatred was almost always coming from people who'd also put in the aluminum FWs. I stumbled on a few folks who had some background with the 3L engines in both the 944 S2 and the 968; they went into some detail about the engineering Porsche did on these drive trains and mentioned some Cup cars that had been developed for the 968 platform using light weight FWs. There was a small outfit that built the "hen's teeth" 16lb alu FWs for 968 Cup projects; very expensive, very difficult to find, but they were (according to legend) the cats pajamas.

Factor out the FW and you can see where the problem is. At least that's what I'm (literally) banking on. I understand they work well on the 2.5 and possibly the 2.7 motors, but they've been an across the board failure in the 3.0s
Old 10-17-2014, 05:21 AM
fejjj
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

^^^good information and thank you for sharing^^^
Old 10-17-2014, 06:02 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Spec do offer a semi and full aluminium PP which is what i've got. But IICR you can get a full aluminium one but i think that has more clamping force. Not sure.

The PP isn't the issue. It's the clutch disc that changes the way it feels. Like i've mentioned above, they use a scachs PP and put their sticker on it. The more course the material on the clutch, the more chatter and less movement you'll get for engagement.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:02 AM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

My spec full aluminium PP and full metallic disk is still working great. I do have to Fidanza flywheel that I bought from Performance Products installed also.
Things are working fine for me. I would however in future go with the steel SPEC flywheel or get Michael Mount to lighten a stock one for me.
Car spins the tires in third....clutch is holding well
Old 10-17-2014, 12:32 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This is encouraging news. I was discussing this the other day with Sid. I too have a Spec Stage 3 hybrid like Paul, but have full aluminum version in combo with the lightweight steel FW. I was told not to get the all aluminum FW directly from ML because of shuttering. I plan to install this on FrankenMotor. I was going to swap it out to the Kep, but no I might give it a try.

Quick Reply: Spec Clutch - Stage 3+ review