Spec Clutch - Stage 3+ review

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 11:59 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Spec Clutch - Stage 3+ review

I want to do a review on the Spec Stage 3+ clutch as there's a lot of people who don't like spec clutches and theres people who like it.

Please note this isn't a Stage 3 but it's a Stage 3+ (note the +)

The difference is the Stage 3 is either a 3 or 6 puck, where the Stage 3+ is a full face disc.

The Review:

I wanted a clutch that can handle higher amounts of torque with no slip. i wanted at least handle 550 ft/lb (flywheel). I also wanted the pedel to be near stock feel with the engagement. I didn't want it to be harder to press as i drive it every day.

After a lot of time searching and questioning, I came up with the Spec Stage 3+ clutch. I had a few people try steer me away from it, but i'm not sure if they know the difference with the + or not.

The clutch disc is a full face carbon semi metallic disc.
The pressure plate is a Sachs PP. I have a semi aluminium one which means the internals are aluminium, not steel which is lighter.

First thoughts
I didn't really like it, but i gave it a chance thought break in. The engagement was the same, but there's a smaller amount of time where its engaged to disengaged. And it was as soon as you put pressure on the peddle it was disengaging already. That took a small amount of driving to get use to.
The shatter was bad, I didn't like it.. It was annoying but i gave it a chance.

After break-in
After i broke it in with city driving, and just driving. I love it, Shatter free! smooth like stock, maybe a little harsher if you let go of the peddle quick, it'll just lock. In reverse it'll shatter a little (not sure why) but it's very minimal. Mind you my driveway is on a slant and i need to ride the clutch to get in it and no chatter.

It actually is a really good clutch.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:09 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

I don't know, but I think there are so many friction materials and variations available that no two people are necessarily talking about the same Spec disk. For me, I gave my spec disk almost 5k mile, and it only got worse. Chattered so bad it scortched the flywheel. Single worst thing I've ever installed on my car...
Old 03-30-2013, 12:18 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
I don't know, but I think there are so many friction materials and variations available that no two people are necessarily talking about the same Spec disk. For me, I gave my spec disk almost 5k mile, and it only got worse. Chattered so bad it scortched the flywheel. Single worst thing I've ever installed on my car...
I bought mine though Spec and they only offered one disc with the 3+ and it was the carbon semi metallic. David Norton himself told me this would be the best option as apparently he is running the same disc in his 951.

Basically the Stage 3+ is referring to the clutch disc and not the PP
Old 03-30-2013, 02:09 AM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Glad to hear it work out for you Pauly.

I'm liking my spec setup. No issues with my setup either.

I've driven far worse clutch setups before in other vehicles.....and they were stock clutches. Ever driven a lifted 75 Ford 4x4 with a 360 4 speed The worst clutches on our car will never compare to that.
Old 03-30-2013, 02:42 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Maybe Spec figured it out. Mine was circa 2007... Glad you guys are having a good experience with them!
Old 03-30-2013, 06:32 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gruhsy
Glad to hear it work out for you Pauly.

I'm liking my spec setup. No issues with my setup either.

I've driven far worse clutch setups before in other vehicles.....and they were stock clutches. Ever driven a lifted 75 Ford 4x4 with a 360 4 speed The worst clutches on our car will never compare to that.
What setup to you have?
Don't have them in Australia ahah!

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Maybe Spec figured it out. Mine was circa 2007... Glad you guys are having a good experience with them!
I have this feeling, most people who get the spec clutches either get the 3/6 puck clutch or get the full face metallic clutch not knowing the material differences. Which is either a stage 3 or stage 3 with that disc is had a constant chatter. I think that's the issue on why people don't like them.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:07 AM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

I ran the Spec Stage 3 Hybrid clutch on my stroker and really liked it. Only had about 1000 miles on it however. I am using it on my new motor also so time should tell.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:34 AM
arthropraxis
Burning Brakes

I am not a big spec fan. My clutch assembly was sent back to Spec to be evaluated for a vibration, disengagement issues and chatter. They said it must be another issue because the clutch assembly check out fine. I chased my tail trying to fix the issues and almost bought another transaxle.
All the issues resolved after installing a LS7 clutch. I sent the Spec out to a local machine shop who said it was out of balance. Spec won't take any responsibility. They blamed the installation. Installing a clutch is not a black art.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:41 AM
tman
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I currently have the full faced metallic stage 3 and I like it. Exactly like Paulyy explained.
I ran the stage 3 hybrid before but it started to slip on me. This only happened at the track though with good traction. Never had a problem on the street.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:28 AM
PJR1976
Instructor

A number of years ago I installed a SACHS sports race clutch and loved it... however, I never ran wild power back in those days so I am not sure how much power / tq it could handle. Does anyone know what the Sachs sports race clutch with aluminum flywheel will handle?

I need to replace my clutch soon (its currently stock and its warn) as I am starting my project build and targeting 450hp so want something as close to stock feel but can handle the power.

Originally I was thinking Spec 3 but I am not sure I like the sounds of how it engages as 90% of my driving will be on the road and in traffic. Thoughts and suggestions?
Old 03-30-2013, 11:48 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

What disc does the hybrid consist of? Is that the stage 2 disc with a different pp?
Old 03-30-2013, 03:34 PM
tman
Pro

6 puck disc with Kevlar on one side and carbon semi metallic on the other.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:00 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

With the spec there are quite a few different combos you can go with.

Pauly we should compile a combination chart for everyones spec setup. It appears that there are some combos that work better than others as far as comfort and performance etc.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:56 PM
CyCloNe!
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulyy
David Norton himself told me this would be the best option as apparently he is running the same disc in his 951.
Isn't he friends with Bob Norwood?
Old 03-30-2013, 06:51 PM
kev951
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I went with the full face full metal disc.

Quick Reply: Spec Clutch - Stage 3+ review