Old 04-23-2013, 05:18 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

A couple of answers/comments;
Don’t increase the bottom end bearing clearances – you will not have enough oil volume through the pump to keep the flow up and as a result the hot idle pressure will be dangerously low.
‘stock’ clearance range on the mains is .020 to .098mm ( .0008 to .004”) with the max wear allowed at .18mm (.007”) – that is a huge tolerance range! .0025” is a good place to be. The problem is that it is a major pain to decrease the main journals – you have to skim cut the girdle and then align bore the mains to fit. Most used blocks / cranks are not anywhere near the .0008” low end so ‘opening up’ the clearance is rarely an issue.

Accusump – I believe that not only is this a waste of time/money, it also creates more problems than it fixes. The way the accusump works creates a problem with the oil level. The Accusump is precharged with a pressure that you set – whenever the pressure drops below that setting it dumps 3 quarts of oil in to the system. So if you set it to the ‘critical’ oil pressure (using Porsches 1 bar per 1k RPM) you would have to set the trigger pressure fairly high – I see many set at 60 psi (4 bar). So anytime you are under 60 psi you will have an extra 3 quarts of oil in the sump – that means that the crank is actually partially submerged in oil. Fire up the blender!!!!! Now you have severely aerated oil – not good. On the track most hot engines are doing pretty good to keep 20-30psi at idle and will not hit 60psi until half way up the rev range.

Prelubing is nice – for a street car. In reality any engine used hard on the track will need refreshing long before the wear from cold start ups is an issue.

Aftermarket oil pan? I’m in. I tried to get some made up many years ago and gave up. If this works out at a reasonable price I will pick up several of them.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:36 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris White
A couple of answers/comments;
Don’t increase the bottom end bearing clearances – you will not have enough oil volume through the pump to keep the flow up and as a result the hot idle pressure will be dangerously low.
‘stock’ clearance range on the mains is .020 to .098mm ( .0008 to .004”) with the max wear allowed at .18mm (.007”) – that is a huge tolerance range! .0025” is a good place to be. The problem is that it is a major pain to decrease the main journals – you have to skim cut the girdle and then align bore the mains to fit. Most used blocks / cranks are not anywhere near the .0008” low end so ‘opening up’ the clearance is rarely an issue.

Accusump – I believe that not only is this a waste of time/money, it also creates more problems than it fixes. The way the accusump works creates a problem with the oil level. The Accusump is precharged with a pressure that you set – whenever the pressure drops below that setting it dumps 3 quarts of oil in to the system. So if you set it to the ‘critical’ oil pressure (using Porsches 1 bar per 1k RPM) you would have to set the trigger pressure fairly high – I see many set at 60 psi (4 bar). So anytime you are under 60 psi you will have an extra 3 quarts of oil in the sump – that means that the crank is actually partially submerged in oil. Fire up the blender!!!!! Now you have severely aerated oil – not good. On the track most hot engines are doing pretty good to keep 20-30psi at idle and will not hit 60psi until half way up the rev range.

Prelubing is nice – for a street car. In reality any engine used hard on the track will need refreshing long before the wear from cold start ups is an issue.

Aftermarket oil pan? I’m in. I tried to get some made up many years ago and gave up. If this works out at a reasonable price I will pick up several of them.
Do you think the aftermarket pan will alleviate the oiling issues?
Old 04-23-2013, 05:45 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 86 951 Driver
Do you think the aftermarket pan will alleviate the oiling issues?
Alleviate? No, but it may help quite a bit. The close fit of the steering rack and suspension cross over mean that there will always be some oil foaming - but anything that reduces the foaming is a good thing!
Old 04-23-2013, 06:39 PM
bebbetufs
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for chiming in Chris. It really helps for motivation. I have received replies from at least 4 manufacturers who are willing to make the pan. Price will depend on design and numbers. I will make some sketches and post them here for collective feedback and comments.

Quick Reply: The Elephant in the Room - #2 Rod Bearing Failures