Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Ran over driveshaft on highway

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 04:13 PM
numbskull
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Ran over driveshaft on highway

So I was out cruising on the highway and drove over a 5ft long driveshaft in the middle of the lane. Of course at the time I was boxed in with no ability to swerve so had to run it over. Not sure of damage yet though it hit on the drivers side.. new toyos probably saved the day from a double blowout.

Pulled over and there is the "guy" missing a driveshaft. !@#$$%
Old 03-02-2013, 04:47 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yuck...that must have been a sickening thud. Sorry to hear!
Old 03-02-2013, 05:31 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by numbskull

Pulled over and there is the "guy" missing a driveshaft. !@#$$%
Hmmm, I'd refer to said guy as "the defendant"...
Old 03-02-2013, 07:10 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

lol...but possibly the correct term Tom.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:29 PM
lejams
Pro

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Hmmm, I'd refer to said guy as "the defendant"...
True, but good luck in court.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:04 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,068 Likes on 1,825 Posts

That really sucks but it sounds like you made out better than me.

I ran over a small I-beam under similar circumstances. About 500 miles later I needed new wheel bearings on the passenger side of the car where I hit the beam. I also blew out two tires and bent both rims. I was doing 90mph in an Audi A4 an it stayed steady.

Check your bearings!
Old 03-03-2013, 02:28 AM
numbskull
Racer

Had more time to see whats going on and it appears the front and rear drivers side fuchs might be bent. Still checking A arms out. The car is in the garage now for better inspection. Though the road garbage clammered under the front wheel, hit the sway bar, possibly oil pan and exhaust, then rear wheel as well it might be a lucky day?. No major oil leaks.. or lol at least worse than the current aos..pos need to verify the oil pan baffle has no cracks that start up anything horrible underneath. Man the staties were SLOW to get that rash off the road.. so dangerous.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:30 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

that really sucks. good luck. take some pics
Old 03-03-2013, 03:22 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by numbskull
Had more time to see whats going on and it appears the front and rear drivers side fuchs might be bent. Still checking A arms out. The car is in the garage now for better inspection. Though the road garbage clammered under the front wheel, hit the sway bar, possibly oil pan and exhaust, then rear wheel as well it might be a lucky day?. No major oil leaks.. or lol at least worse than the current aos..pos need to verify the oil pan baffle has no cracks that start up anything horrible underneath. Man the staties were SLOW to get that rash off the road.. so dangerous.
That's a bummer for sure. One time in my old rx7, a truck clipped a construction cone/barrier thing and it bounced right in front of me -- did a pretty good number on the bumper cap of my car. I was prepared to pay for it myself, but the body shop guy talked me into calling my insurance and they ended up paying for virtually all of it under some unexpected coverage (want to say uninsured motorist or something like that...). Anyway, might be worth a call....
Old 03-04-2013, 01:40 AM
TheHummel
Intermediate

About a month ago I was driving down the freeway and spotted a large object in the road ahead. I thought it was a large tree branch at first but as I got closer it became evident that it was an entire exhaust system- headers, cat, muffler, and all. I moved over the the other lane to avoid it, but the driver of the Accord behind me must've not been paying attention and ran over it. Quite a loud series of bangs ensued and he pulled over. Being the generous man I try to be, I turned around at the next exit and came back around. There was oil everywhere on the ground, so my guess is it hit the oil pan, but he said he didn't need any help and insisted that he would be fine so I left. I can't imagine any way an entire exhaust system could simply fall off in that way, so I assume it was in the back of a pickup or something and fell out, but then it probably wouldn't be bolted together like it was... I just don't know.

Sounds like you got lucky. Something that big and heavy could have done a lot more damage.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:06 PM
numbskull
Racer

Going to be placing an order soon, going with new A arms, new bearings, aos seal kit, rebuilt front struts and new exhaust hangars. Will have to drop off the wheels at a shop to check balancing. My guess if they can't balance them, replace it. I do know the car shakes a bit over 60mph now so going to replace everything upfront that seems reasonable and check alignment. No real carnage and hopefully just a smashed bearing being the wheel problem, but its all an onion of potential issues until its completely apart. And then there's brakes.. (Sigh).

Quick Reply: Ran over driveshaft on highway