Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Turbocharger VS Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 03:12 AM
1987Porsche944WithRealLongName
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
lol...Od you really are quite random aren't you. You're like the court jester at Edward De Bono's Christmas party.
At this point I'm almost certain its aspergers
Old 02-24-2013, 03:15 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 213 Likes on 153 Posts

i was 2 quarts down. but the remarkable part was that i coasted to within a few hundred feet of the Junction, TX off ramp. amazing when you consider the last town (Fredericksburg) was 60 miles out the back of my rearview mirror.

now, my original post was pointed at the centrifugals not just because they're so f_cking useless, and not only because the automakers have spent literally, millions dollars trying to make a (centrifugal unit) work, and mostly found them unworkable (heat, fuel consumption, longevity).... but also because so few roots blowers have been associated with inline 4's (especially the German variety).... and because attempts at workable centrifugal kits—have.

now, obviously, there's the exception to every rule. i'm sure someone on this planet has experienced some outer worldly, massive success racing a centrifugal unit. and i'm not knocking him, even when all he had to do was hook up a turbo and run 5 or 6 pounds of boost and been rewarded with a nice engine with 4 times the mechanical/thermodynamic efficiency..... but you can't drive that car down the interstate for hundreds of miles without going broke.

we've all been waiting for a couple of years with glowing anticipation on Spencer's engine project. he clearly wanted not only something unique, but something that would kick ***, and because his starting point was such a high capacity blower, from the beginning, we've all thought he'd get it. i also grew up in the Sho/Supercoupe/Mustang GT era when they were kicking Chevy's ***. the cars might not have been earthshaking by today's standards, but they were pretty good cars for the masses for that time....

just the same, we tend to discuss cars from the gut. and i'll admit, in keeping it all Porsche, i would have been more thrilled just to see him go with the time-tested 968 powerplant... get turbo parts from Lart and run like, 7 pounds of boost... cuz what do they say, "there's no substitute for cubic inches ?" and on such a lightweight car ?

one final thought, to get off the subject of roots blowers for a moment; i know everyone wants to get up and cheer that someone's gonna offer a badass centrifugal kit that's gonna bring the house down, but when was the last time you saw a 2.5 litre centrifugal-supercharged 4 making 600~700 hp ?

Last edited by odurandina; 02-24-2013 at 04:03 AM.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:29 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 517 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina

now, my original post was pointed at the centrifugals not just because they're so f_cking useless, and not only because the automakers have spent literally, millions dollars trying to make one work, and only failed (fuel consumption).... but also because so few roots blowers have been associated with inline 4's (especially the German variety).... and because the centrifugal units — have.

now, obviously, there's the exception to every rule. i'm sure someone on this planet has experienced some outer worldly, massive success racing a centrifugal unit. and i'm not knocking him, even when all he had to do was hook up a turbo and run 5 or 6 pounds of boost with 4 times the mechanical/thermodynamic efficiency.

we've all been waiting for a couple of years with glowing anticipation on Spencer's engine project. he clearly wanted something unique, but something that would kick ***, and from the beginning, we've all thought he'd get it.

i thought it was cool when he announced it because i had firsthand experience, and i complimented him about it that day.... just the same, we tend to discuss cars from the gut. and i'll admit, in keeping it all Porsche, i would have been more thrilled just to see him go with the time-tested 968 powerplant... get turbo parts from Lart and run like, 7 pounds of boost... cuz what do they say, "there's no substitued for cubic inches ?" and on such a lightweight car ?
I don't recall his site offhand, but I met a pelican guy who developed his own centrifugal 968 kit and it looks completely factory...he's at about 375rwhp and has been for a few years now. Really sharp guy, priced on par with other kits.

Here it is actually. http://shop.design1racing.com/PERFORMANCE_c14.htm

And mine should hopefully be done in march. I dd my car and all my sc stuff is at my San Diego house that I only get real time at once in a while. And boost will come before displacement, in the form of a hybrid stroker most likely.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:19 AM
Dubai944
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Heres a question, how many people have actually lived with both a high performance turbo car and a high performance supercharged car for a long period of time and can compare the two objectively?

My only real turbo experience is with an Audi Ur-Quattro I owned and raced for several years. A bit 80's for sure, but it made mad power at high boost levels and was a fun drive. Ultimately though, for circuit racing at least, I much prefer the power delivery of my centrifugal supercharger setup. Linear power delivery, sharp throttle response, no lag. I've also driven a few "modern" turbo cars on track (Evos and WRXs) and while they are much sharper than the old school turbos you still get that slightly disconnected feeling at times between what I want the engine to do right now and what is actually happening. Ultimate power potential is still higher with the turbo, but who honestly needs 600-700hp anyway? Drivability is still a big advantage of superchargers over turbochargers in my mind.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:30 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

1. we've admired your achievements immensely for years.
2. the high and low scores get thrown out. hundreds have failed to your one.
3. Skunkworks (Lockheed) want's to know why you've not been returning their calls.
4. i'm petitioning the services of a dozen superchargers to go 100 k miles on a typical 968.
5. at 11 mpg.
6. ok for the track.
7. but i'm one of those ********* who drives his car really far on the interstate.
8. you might like the full time torque and power offered by a V8 even more.
9. just kidding.
10. are you gonna watch Danica try her hand at pack racing again today ?
11. oh, rumour has it that a big cyclone swell is hitting the Gold Coast. wish i could be there.
12. God bless.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:41 AM
Dubai944
Rennlist Member

Lol...wow, 12 points just like that!

But seriously what's happened to your avatars, they used to be more inspiring?
Old 02-24-2013, 06:04 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

dunno,

Pattie Boyd (Layla) ranks up there. first George Harrison was smitten by her during the filming of Hard Day's night and married her about a year later.... and ostensibly the marriage was a success for about 5 years.... it was also Pattie who introduced Eastern mysticism to the Beatles, but within a few years George kind of went of the deep end with the Krishna's, causing the marriage to begin to go south.... after collaborating on the White Album, George's good buddy Eric Clapton began to petition Pattie (and eventually both members of the loving couple) that he should be the lucky groom instead. weird huh ? and Clapton refused to take no for an answer.... turns out that during their marriage John Lennon and Mick Jagger also attempted to steal Boyd from George... but after many attempts over several years by Jagger and others, it would be none-other than Ron Wood, guitarist in Rod Stewart's band who was the first to seduce her.... but Clapton was still hard at work attempting to free her from the bounds of Harrison.... but, not long after the affair with Wood, Clapton finally succeeded in convincing her to marry him..... and the marriage likely would have a gone on for many years if it hadn't been for Clapton's alcholism and drug use. she finally divorced him in 1988.

well, she must have been doing something right. despite that the movie was garbage,

i was mesmerized by her beauty in Hard Day's Night. she was the real star of that film.
Here Comes the Sun is Here Comes Pattie Boyd....

Last edited by odurandina; 02-24-2013 at 08:16 AM.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:37 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Dubai944
Heres a question, how many people have actually lived with both a high performance turbo car and a high performance supercharged car for a long period of time and can compare the two objectively?

My only real turbo experience is with an Audi Ur-Quattro I owned and raced for several years. A bit 80's for sure, but it made mad power at high boost levels and was a fun drive. Ultimately though, for circuit racing at least, I much prefer the power delivery of my centrifugal supercharger setup. Linear power delivery, sharp throttle response, no lag. I've also driven a few "modern" turbo cars on track (Evos and WRXs) and while they are much sharper than the old school turbos you still get that slightly disconnected feeling at times between what I want the engine to do right now and what is actually happening. Ultimate power potential is still higher with the turbo, but who honestly needs 600-700hp anyway? Drivability is still a big advantage of superchargers over turbochargers in my mind.
You're probably right Steve. I would be the first to put my hand up to say I'm a boost addict. More to the point, a Lag addict. It really is the rush of the onset of boost vs the linearity of big bore all motors or in your circumstance, a Supercharged car. I guess if we line up the % of successful race cars and their induction it would be an overwhelming majority of n/a...then a long way back turbo. Coming 3rd would be S/Charged...and that's taking into account all those pre war blower cars and perhaps a few Indy car back in the 50's. The alacrity of a S/C car 'should' win hands down. Now builders are making engines that wouldn't be out of place as n/a with 12:1 static c/r and then putting 6 lbs turbo through them. Seems odd that they're doing this and not looking more towards S/charging though? Then you take into account the track layout. I'm sure certain tracks would suit your car vs say Sean's...and Visa Versa. I'm hoping to blow all your doors away this year!!!

ps...gotta love the old school turbos. Get this into you!! lol...just a 'wind-up'..

Old 02-24-2013, 12:15 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dubai944

While my experience may not be what you had in mind racing wise.

I have used both platforms for driving and playing for over 3 years on each one.

I absolutely agree that the SC feels very responsive in comparison. I still miss how fun the sc car was around town. I had to add stroke to really feel responsive. But, I have a pretty big turbo.

If I had the room, I'd have one of each. Both of them 3.0+.

I will say this for another comparison. I work on minis weekly, and they went from sc to turbo. Even with all the new tech, the sc is still more responsive for around town driving. However, the top end flattens out quickly, leaving you wanting more. I felt the same about my sc car.

So IMO, it's really more of a preference if you are wanting around 300 hp out of a 2.5. Anything over that turbo may be your only choice.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:43 PM
Dubai944
Rennlist Member

The real truth is I prefer NA cars hands down. I think that's why I like the supercharger over turbos, it just feels like a bigger engine. OD's point number 8 is actually true, my favorite cars from an engine standpoint have been my V8 converted Z cars and my V12 Bimmer but a V8 swap for the Porsche has never been an option in the race categories I've been interested in. As a whole package the 944 works well and I am happy enough with 400whp as a final goal for this car and the supercharger works for me.

Each to their own, I realise people have very different goals for road cars. And Pat, we will see....wouldn't it be fun for all the stars to line up and we all end up at Bathurst together with our cars in finished form? Don't forget you also have to be able to drive the thing as well...
Old 02-24-2013, 04:39 PM
1987Porsche944WithRealLongName
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Makes you wonder if Porsche even considered a supercharger for the 944. I mean all of that spare room on the opposite side of the exhaust is almost perfect for it
Old 02-24-2013, 05:48 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 517 Posts

Originally Posted by 1987Porsche944WithRealLongName
Makes you wonder if Porsche even considered a supercharger for the 944. I mean all of that spare room on the opposite side of the exhaust is almost perfect for it
I have a piece of A document that said they did

They put a positive displacement unit on a 944S engine with 9:1 dished pistons and a Maf in 88 or 89. They experimented with 4 pulley ratios and got peak numbers of about 220hp/260tq on pump gas. They didn't have the benefit of the Eaton superchargers higher efficiency yet though.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:00 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

should have called Ford.

they were selling plenty of 944s to attempt a production supercar running a roots.

Quick Reply: Turbocharger VS Supercharger