Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Noob needs advice on timing/balance shaft belt replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 03:33 PM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes gotta change the rollers. Theyre what sieze and tear the belt, namely the TB, to pieces.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:01 PM
Turbo17
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim Sick
Is it necessary to change the rollers and gears too? Pelican parts sells the belts and rollers as a kit. Just seems too pricey and unnecessary and I might just get the belts. Anybody use the ArnnWorx 920Xv6 tool?
The oil pump gear needs changing if it has a ridge and you leak oil. I felt a small ridge and replaced it. I was leaking oil. It turned out that most of the oil was leaking through the lower balance shaft sleeve, which seemed OK, so I didn't replace it - until later.

The balance shaft sprockets are pricey. I cleaned them and checked them. They didn't seem to be excessively worn on their shafts, so I still have my originals on at 300K miles. The same is true of my idler rollers for the TB - I still have originals. They spin freely, and don't wobble on the shaft, so I kept them.
YMMV. I looked at the arnnworx device. I almost built something like it it for myself. I was able to find the spacing, force and deflection needed to emulate it, but, ultimately I decided it's just a d*mn timing belt. I felt I could get it pretty close to the tension of the belt that was already on there. That coupled with the videos and comments of others convinced me to go with the twist method. I tend to run on the riskier side and I'm willing to take the consequences of my decisions, even if they turn out to be bad.

If it's of any help, most of the belt failures I found in my research were studs breaking on the idler rollers, but when I tried to buy them, they were out of stock, and when I asked here, I didn't find anyone who regularly replaced the studs. I just was very careful to use counter torque when installing or removing nuts on the studs.

If your rollers sound like this, however, it's time to replace them. Mine didn't make any sound:
Old 01-25-2013, 12:27 AM
PorscheFanatic202
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

thanks. will do this all this weekend. Can't wait.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:02 AM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Turbo17
The oil pump gear needs changing if it has a ridge and you leak oil. I felt a small ridge and replaced it. I was leaking oil. It turned out that most of the oil was leaking through the lower balance shaft sleeve, which seemed OK, so I didn't replace it - until later.

The balance shaft sprockets are pricey. I cleaned them and checked them. They didn't seem to be excessively worn on their shafts, so I still have my originals on at 300K miles. The same is true of my idler rollers for the TB - I still have originals. They spin freely, and don't wobble on the shaft, so I kept them.
YMMV. I looked at the arnnworx device. I almost built something like it it for myself. I was able to find the spacing, force and deflection needed to emulate it, but, ultimately I decided it's just a d*mn timing belt. I felt I could get it pretty close to the tension of the belt that was already on there. That coupled with the videos and comments of others convinced me to go with the twist method. I tend to run on the riskier side and I'm willing to take the consequences of my decisions, even if they turn out to be bad.

If it's of any help, most of the belt failures I found in my research were studs breaking on the idler rollers, but when I tried to buy them, they were out of stock, and when I asked here, I didn't find anyone who regularly replaced the studs. I just was very careful to use counter torque when installing or removing nuts on the studs.

If your rollers sound like this, however, it's time to replace them. Mine didn't make any sound:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPTUM4g4yQM

Do you drive around without insurance too because it's also too pricey??

300k miles... my goodness...
Old 01-25-2013, 07:11 AM
PorscheFanatic202
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep no insurance. Also to save money I bought some Honda civic rims and drilled an extra hole. Also since oil is so expensive I only put 3 quarts of oil in and those filters should be good for 30k miles I rekon
Old 01-25-2013, 09:29 AM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

...little red/blue device tubed into the banjo bolt - what exactly does that do?
Its a little bit of a hack but a clever one. By restricting that line, the pressure signal is delayed allowing your boost cycling valve to enable a short surge in boost pressure. Its noticeable if you remove it. The ones I've seen (back in the day) appeared to be similar to brass carburetor jets, not colored red/blue though...Bruce
Old 01-25-2013, 09:15 PM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Tim Sick
Yep no insurance. Also to save money I bought some Honda civic rims and drilled an extra hole. Also since oil is so expensive I only put 3 quarts of oil in and those filters should be good for 30k miles I rekon

You're crazy. I like you, but you're crazy!
Old 04-09-2013, 08:18 PM
patanga
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is Timing and balance belt tension procedure the same for the later DOHC S2 models as discussed here for the SOHC types?....
Old 04-09-2013, 10:06 PM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by patanga
Is Timing and balance belt tension procedure the same for the later DOHC S2 models as discussed here for the SOHC types?....
Partially. The S2 has an auto-tensioner that is 'supposed' to be able to tension the Timing Belt without using a gauge. I think the guys that actually rely on it however, check it at least once, to make sure it's spot-on, before ever turning the engine over.

The Balance Belt is the same as the other cars; it has no auto-tensioner.
Attached Images  
Old 08-18-2015, 12:41 PM
Tampa 928s
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Chasing idle vibration

88 924s 50k miles 5-speed

Chasing an idle vibration after reading many posts I am unsure if this will cause this issue. Most posts reference a 4K vibration. I did have this and found the balance shafts 180 degrees out it corrected this issue. Car has new MM, all new front motor parts, belts tensioner, pulleys Etc. compression is good full new tune up Etc. Clutch is new style with no rubber center. I have to increase the idle to about 1k minimum with the air on for it not to vibrate, I think the balance belt is set up correctly but will look into this again this weekend. I checked the AFM, plugs are tan so it is burning good. Other then that car runs great plenty of power, is it possible that this could be causing this idle vibration. If so what should I look for that I may have missed last time I had it apart, very noticeable with air on. Is there any other areas I should check, thanks in advance.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:30 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 501 Posts

With the AC on there is an extra ~10HP dragging on the idling engine and the speed will drop from 1000 to 800 or so.

To compensate for this, there (should) be a little air valve mounted under the back of your air filter box. It is a second idle-air bypass valve that comes on with the AC switched on, to bring the idle back up. It has 2 wires/prongs on it and 2 hoses connected to it.

From what I've seen many cars had this item removed during previous services and not replaced. It really makes a difference.

Quick Reply: Noob needs advice on timing/balance shaft belt replacement