Exhaust gaskets re-usable?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 08:59 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust gaskets re-usable?

Hi all,

Just wondering if you all have found any of the exhaust gaskets or crush rings to be re-usable at all. Only reason I ask is, I replaced the vast majority of them about 20k miles ago, and I'm probably going to be in there again pretty soon... and they're expensive. Thoughts?

TIA!
Old 12-26-2012, 09:07 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I'm curious too. I've been converting as many gaskets as possible to the LR copper gaskets, but there are a couple donuts and that self-destructing gasket on the waste gate pipe from the crossover that they don't have replacements for.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:10 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Copper ones would be re-usable. The standard crush ones I would replace. After they crush, they are not going to want to "re-crush" and seal properly...
Old 12-26-2012, 09:43 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
Copper ones would be re-usable. The standard crush ones I would replace. After they crush, they are not going to want to "re-crush" and seal properly...
Damnit ... I mean, thanks, but damnit. Why are they so f-ing expensive?!?!? They're just crush rings...
Old 12-26-2012, 10:08 PM
Reimu
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah the rings are ridiculously expensive for what they are, I went ahead and bought the copper gaskets from Lindsey. Could've probably did it cheaper by buying the copper myself and having it cut but I was lazy about it.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:21 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Reimu
Yeah the rings are ridiculously expensive for what they are, I went ahead and bought the copper gaskets from Lindsey. Could've probably did it cheaper by buying the copper myself and having it cut but I was lazy about it.
When I last had my motor apart, I invested in copper intake and down pipe gaskets. This time around I'm adding copper exhaust manifold and collector gaskets. I think that's all LR has.. nothing for the waste gate, unfortunately.

Edit: they do have a waste gate inlet copper gasket too - time to add that to my shopping list.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:37 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

May have to go that route... stupid expensive crush rings..
Old 12-26-2012, 11:24 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

I reused my crush rings. but i re opened them.

I used a knife, (not a kitchen knife, one of them narrow tall ones, for cutting meat i think) can also use a string sharp flat tip screwdriver, a hammer and a piece of steel clamped to a bench for a small surface to hit the ring on while you spin it around.
I put the knife in the groove and hit it with a hammer and it opens up the crush bit. i kept doing it untill it was opened enough. it worked.. just took some time. and $0.00
Old 12-26-2012, 11:56 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Thanks Pauly!

On a related note, what does "string sharp" mean? I don't think I've ever heard that term..

Originally Posted by Paulyy
I reused my crush rings. but i re opened them.

I used a knife, (not a kitchen knife, one of them narrow tall ones, for cutting meat i think) can also use a string sharp flat tip screwdriver, a hammer and a piece of steel clamped to a bench for a small surface to hit the ring on while you spin it around.
I put the knife in the groove and hit it with a hammer and it opens up the crush bit. i kept doing it untill it was opened enough. it worked.. just took some time. and $0.00
Old 12-27-2012, 12:09 AM
Grandpa#3
Three Wheelin'

Location: Hawkinsville / Perry, Georgia, RETIRED USAF GO BLUE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Come on Gents, a crush washer is just what the name implies, Once the crush washer is used it should be replaced. The same applies to any Self-Locking Nut like used on the rear axle or any place else. The Self-Locking Nut is for a one time use, because once used it looses locking ability. These items are not something to cheap out on.

Cheers,
Larry
Old 12-27-2012, 12:27 AM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I knew the answer before I asked... I just figured it was worth a shot before I bought a bunch of $20 a piece crush rings... If they were reasonably priced, I wouldn't have even asked...

Originally Posted by Grandpa#3
Come on Gents, a crush washer is just what the name implies, Once the crush washer is used it should be replaced. The same applies to any Self-Locking Nut like used on the rear axle or any place else. The Self-Locking Nut is for a one time use, because once used it looses locking ability. These items are not something to cheap out on.

Cheers,
Larry
Old 12-27-2012, 12:38 AM
numbskull
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Grandpa#3

Cheers,
Larry
Ya know I ordered $80 in crush rings just recently, but should have just bought a bottle of Dom instead! It's worth not having exhaust in the cockpit. For a while I was converting to copper which worked great' now I am trying out composite gaskets which are cheaper and seem to fit tighter. Just buy a sheet of composite and dremel your own custom gaskets.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:17 AM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by numbskull
Ya know I ordered $80 in crush rings just recently, but should have just bought a bottle of Dom instead! It's worth not having exhaust in the cockpit. For a while I was converting to copper which worked great' now I am trying out composite gaskets which are cheaper and seem to fit tighter. Just buy a sheet of composite and dremel your own custom gaskets.
What sort of composite are you using? And where do you get sheets of it?
Old 12-27-2012, 01:31 AM
numbskull
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Advanced auto lets me walk in the back and scrounge parts that look like what I need. I drive them crazy too many times, me get back stage.! While I was in the back routing through stock, I came across an exhaust gasket that looked like metal and plastic.. composite for newer cars I guess. Descent material and cheap. Since then I have seen a few places that now stock exhaust gaskets using this material. I do not know where to get a sheet of it yet as but will share the info when I find the raw material in nice squares for purchase.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:47 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Crackership
Thanks Pauly!

On a related note, what does "string sharp" mean? I don't think I've ever heard that term..
i'm pretty sure that means sharp so it can cut string with no effort. like when you get paper and run a knife along the edge it'll cut it clean if it's sharp.

Quick Reply: Exhaust gaskets re-usable?