3 Liter 16v Turbo build

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 06:24 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CyCloNe!
one less belt to deal with , Sid doesn't have them but his engine is internally balanced so really not needed.
I remember reading that chris white said it has nothing to do with the balance of the components but it's because it's an i4 being such a large bore it causes vibration because 2 pistons are always going up while 2 are always going down.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:31 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 187 Likes on 103 Posts

That's my impression as well. On each cycle there is a point where all the pistons are stopped. If the reciprocating mass was reduced to zero then the vibration would go away, but until then there would always be a second order vibration. I think the costs of deleting the balance shafts outweigh the benefits. Stuffs going to break sooner without them.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:40 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Non-ideal flat-plane 4-cylinders will always have the second-order vibration, which can only be canceled with balance shafts. Internal balancing of components does not cancel this vibration. It has to due with the fact that the pistons on the upper half of the stroke are accelerating faster than the pistons at the bottom half of the stroke. This is because of the rod-angle being different on the upper half vs lower half of the stroke... If the rod was infinitely long, then there would be no second-order vibration - but obviously that cannot be the case in reality.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:49 PM
Dutch944
Three Wheelin'

Sorry for the late response, had a "year-end party" at work.. With hotel and you name it.. Needed to get some rest today.

After the first reponse about the balance shafts i've been looking into the balance shaft delete topics and soon found out that removing them is not the way to go for me.
Ofcourse i'll balance the crankshaft and sorts but now i understand why this doesnt have any effect on the vibrations in the engines.

And as i'm not going to knive-edge the crankshaft i'm not loosing a lot of weight there and i dont need to adjust the weight of the balance shafts.

But i got a message from a friend from Belgium that he has a set of very nice turbo rods for me for not too much money so i'll be picking those up some time soon!

Btw, what are the thoughts about the exhaust here? I'm almost sure that 3" is plenty for the downpipe. I wont be getting the wastegate into the exhaust but just a screamerpipe, just because i can..
Old 12-16-2012, 07:28 AM
flipo
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A belgian friend, i wonder who that could be....
Old 12-16-2012, 07:40 AM
Dutch944
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by flipo
A belgian friend, i wonder who that could be....
Well, i dont know his name but i do know that he drives a really badass 968 turbo rs! He only needs to tune up his turbopressure soon..

Thanks Philip!!
Old 12-16-2012, 04:11 PM
Jan Mertens
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE

He only needs to tune up his turbopressure soon..

[/QUOTE]

I second that Flip but after the WEK! We want you to kick *** in the winter first and then drive around GT3's!
Old 12-16-2012, 04:26 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

3" exhaust down pipe is fine. Even 3" exhaust is good.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:13 PM
Dutch944
Three Wheelin'

Downpipe and exhaust will be 3" for sure. I'm still thinking of what to do with the header to turbo piping. A friend of mine is building a complete header for me so we're thinking of getting 2 pipes from the left to the right side of the engine and combine them just before the turbo, to get some more out of the venturi to spool up the turbo faster.. So many ideas.. And luckily plenty of time to work them out!
Old 12-17-2012, 04:55 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
Non-ideal flat-plane 4-cylinders will always have the second-order vibration, which can only be canceled with balance shafts. Internal balancing of components does not cancel this vibration. It has to due with the fact that the pistons on the upper half of the stroke are accelerating faster than the pistons at the bottom half of the stroke. This is because of the rod-angle being different on the upper half vs lower half of the stroke... If the rod was infinitely long, then there would be no second-order vibration - but obviously that cannot be the case in reality.
That's something like what i read. Just couldn't remember how it went.

Originally Posted by Dutch944
Downpipe and exhaust will be 3" for sure. I'm still thinking of what to do with the header to turbo piping. A friend of mine is building a complete header for me so we're thinking of getting 2 pipes from the left to the right side of the engine and combine them just before the turbo, to get some more out of the venturi to spool up the turbo faster.. So many ideas.. And luckily plenty of time to work them out!
a divided exhaust usually helps. make sure its from cylinders 1+3 & 2+4
Old 12-17-2012, 07:40 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Jan Mertens
[QUOTE

He only needs to tune up his turbopressure soon..

I second that Flip but after the WEK! We want you to kick *** in the winter first and then drive around GT3's!
How about some video from these cars??
Old 12-17-2012, 08:48 AM
flipo
Racer

@Patrick, Need to get me a better videocamera first !
Old 12-17-2012, 08:52 AM
Dutch944
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Paulyy

Oke perfect! That's also what i read in "Four-stroke Performance Tuning". I'll have to get some turbocharged books soon (Haha, turbocharged books.. you can really race through them!)

Originally Posted by 333pg333
How about some video from these cars??
I'll try to find something but until now the camera's on the track have been in the "slower" car so you won't see him. I know that on the 6th on january he'll be racing again so i'll take my GoPro along and put it in his car (if he wants to ofcourse!)

{edit}

Originally Posted by flipo
@Patrick, Need to get me a better videocamera first !
You can use mine!

{/edit}
Old 12-17-2012, 08:52 AM
thingo
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulyy

It is 1&4 and 2&3 actually, like on the stock headers, and it has to be fully separated including the waste gate ( preferably two). Works best with a matching divided turbine housing.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:53 PM
flipo
Racer

Sounds like i will have some nice videos to post after januari 6th and Bas wil have some nice connecting rods!

Quick Reply: 3 Liter 16v Turbo build