Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

944 turbo header leak at head??? Advise

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 04:21 PM
djtalon
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 944 turbo header leak at head??? Advise

So on my 89 turbo i had a crack where the flange meets the tubes on the 2/3 header. So i got a used one from a trusted source and now i cannot get rid of the leak on both 2 and 3 where it mounts to the head. I have tried original metal backed gaskets and now with the copper ones lindsey's sells and no luck it still leaks. I have disassbled the entire exhaust and loosened the hot side of the turbo (clocking it). Any ideas on how to help it seal up? Are the copper lindey gaskets good or no? Really frustrating since i just cant get it fixed.

oh, i still have intake off as i been pressure checking with a leaf blower in the exhaust pipe.

Could the flanges on 2/3 could be warped or somthing? Are the 2/3 and 3/4 headers built as pairs so you cannot mismatch them?
Old 10-17-2012, 04:50 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by djtalon
So on my 89 turbo i had a crack where the flange meets the tubes on the 2/3 header. So i got a used one from a trusted source and now i cannot get rid of the leak on both 2 and 3 where it mounts to the head. I have tried original metal backed gaskets and now with the copper ones lindsey's sells and no luck it still leaks. I have disassbled the entire exhaust and loosened the hot side of the turbo (clocking it). Any ideas on how to help it seal up? Are the copper lindey gaskets good or no? Really frustrating since i just cant get it fixed.

oh, i still have intake off as i been pressure checking with a leaf blower in the exhaust pipe.

Could the flanges on 2/3 could be warped or somthing? Are the 2/3 and 3/4 headers built as pairs so you cannot mismatch them?
I have a very small leak as well in the 2-3 header. I have been told that those flanges can warp and that maybe a smoothing or leveling of the flange face, may fix it? I would check the flange to see if its warped or uneven before trying to square it ...
Good luck
Ed
Old 10-17-2012, 11:37 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
I have a very small leak as well in the 2-3 header. I have been told that those flanges can warp and that maybe a smoothing or leveling of the flange face, may fix it? I would check the flange to see if its warped or uneven before trying to square it ...
Good luck
Ed
Right, they warp. Pull the header and put the flanges on a flat table and see how out of whack they are. If both the flanges don't sit flat at the same time, try having a machine shop flatten it out on a belt sanding surfacer or the like...
Old 10-17-2012, 11:48 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i have a good set of non warped/ non cracked headers for sale- actually on ebay right now- i will sell them for $150 here though, hard to find a good set sometimes......these are very nice.

Quick Reply: 944 turbo header leak at head??? Advise