Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

wrong upper strut mount mount?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 08:16 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default wrong upper strut mount mount?

what are the effects of running late style upper strut mounts on an 86 951? It appears I have the wrong ones on my car. My car was leaning to the passenger side; the strut bearing on that side is no good and ithe mounting plate may be warped, both sides are the late 86+ style, more slanted mount. I would like to be able to rebuild using the 12 dollar VW fox mounts. Also, is it possible to bolt on a strut mount in the wrong orientation? That is, with the hole for the locating stud on the underside facing the wrong way? I lost track of the orientation when I removed them, but I suspect the PO may have had them improperly installed and I'm finally getting around to getting the front end straightened out. The driver side had proper height/camber, which confuses me because i was under the impression that using the late style mount with my early offset control arms would throw my camber off. my 86 is supposed to have early style mounts I thought, but these appear to be NLA, only the bearings seem to be available any way to use the fox bearings in the late style mount?

Last edited by Dougs951S; 10-07-2012 at 08:59 PM.

Quick Reply: wrong upper strut mount mount?