Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Godzilla Bov question

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 10:47 PM
eric951turbo
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott H
Replace the IC to TB pipe with the original IC pipe and reinstall the bypass valve. There's really no performance difference, you just don't get the fancy woosh noises.
and the point of spending my $ on this setup would be?

ending up with only one nice pipe?
Old 09-15-2012, 10:50 PM
eric951turbo
Burning Brakes

This is a set from Speed force Racing. They still sell this set online. And they picture it the same way I have it install. Something is wrong here.

http://www.speedforceracing.com/index.php?productID=740
Old 09-15-2012, 10:58 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

These pipes are set up for the Godzilla valve I ran years ago, you can still here the wooosh very well even routed back to the MAF pipe.

Old 09-15-2012, 11:11 PM
eric951turbo
Burning Brakes

If I could find myself a maf pipe like that, I would be really happy.

But this is a good pict, I could try to convert my vitesse maf pipe like yours, thanks.

Doesn't change the fact that I don't understand the why it doesnt work atmospherically
Old 09-15-2012, 11:32 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eric951turbo
Doesn't change the fact that I don't understand the why it doesnt work atmospherically
It doesn't work because these cars weren't designed that way. When you vent metered air to the atmosphere, the ECU doesn't know what you did, so it doesn't remove fuel. You end up with a very rich mixture that will cause backfires and stumbling. The SFR kit is most likely designed for use with a standalone engine management system, not the stock ECU.
Old 09-16-2012, 12:05 AM
eric951turbo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by zerMATT951
It doesn't work because these cars weren't designed that way. When you vent metered air to the atmosphere, the ECU doesn't know what you did, so it doesn't remove fuel. You end up with a very rich mixture that will cause backfires and stumbling. The SFR kit is most likely designed for use with a standalone engine management system, not the stock ECU.
Thanks! I needed to ear that. I've been searching on the internet for hours.
The seller told me I had everything to install it to vent to atmosphere.

The only reason I bought this kit was not because of the godzilla bov, but because of the nice looking pipe. I got them way cheaper than if I would of bought them new, and they look new.

So the question is: Will it work great if I connect this Godzilla bov back to the maf pipe, same as I had before.

I want to know before I start looking at ''how'' i'm gonna do that.

for sure it needs some welding, and before I start throwing $ way on fabrication, is it worth it?
Old 09-16-2012, 12:16 AM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Is all this trouble worth it for a novelty?

I'd personally sell the BOV on eBay, pay someone local to weld on a bung for a Forge and not look back. Or put the stock pipe back on there but shine it up to match the other. Lart can give you a diy on polishing pipes...
Old 09-16-2012, 12:27 AM
eric951turbo
Burning Brakes

it's too bad, the bov looks amazingly good.

I'll sleep on it.

thanks
Old 09-16-2012, 12:51 AM
Dr. Dynamics
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to run my forge bov to atmosphere without a problem. Even better, it had very cool flame popping upshifts when redlining...

Try adjusting the spring if possible
Old 09-16-2012, 01:06 AM
Lightningmcnulty
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Your being fed mis information at this point.

Your all quite right that venting metered air for long periods through a bov is a problem, to say that during acceleration your venting metered air is insane, if that was the case all of your boost would blow back through your intake in the standard setup.

the only time a BOV should be open is when you first lift off the throttle, it will then vent metered air but this is irrelevant since the car has stopped/is stopping firing the injectors at this point anyway.

An atmospheric BOV will work, I know this because I have one sat in my car right behind me right now, there is no descernable difference with atmospheric or otherwise.

Your issue is that your BOV is open when it shoud be closed, I would suggest that its either stuck/sticky from being sat and that you should remove it, push the piston with your finger and grease it, better still take it all apart grease and put back together, if that doesn't resolve the issue then the spring is probably too weak to close the piston, replace the spring, job done.

In theory its a bad idea to vent to atmosphere, in practice it makes no difference accept to possibly make your engine ever so slightly rich between gear changes which would probably cool your cylinders.

Good luck and keep me posted
Old 09-16-2012, 03:55 AM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lightningmcnulty
the only time a BOV should be open is when you first lift off the throttle, it will then vent metered air but this is irrelevant since the car has stopped/is stopping firing the injectors at this point anyway.
That's not entirely true.
Like somebody already said, at small throttle positions, low engine load, the BOV (or recirculation valve) is open, and that's when the OP has the problem. If the spring was so strong as to only to open when you lift, it would not be responsive enough which is bad for the turbo and the engine (temporary richness causing cylinder wash and excess carbon buidup)

You absolutely want to route back like stock.
Like somebody said; these cars are not designed for blow off to atmosphere.
You're driving a Porsche; it doesn't even suit the stupid sound. There, I said it.
Old 09-16-2012, 04:54 AM
Lightningmcnulty
Racer

I will take your word for it since I don't see any need to argue the point, the fact is that I have used atmospheric valves on several cars with setups like a 951 one being a 951 with no issues, there are also plenty of threads on here with 951 owners with atmospheric valves working perfectly fine.

Outside of that it's up to you guys, I believe that your problem is with that particular bov's function rather than the concept

As for the noise each to their own sometimes I route mine back through the j boot sometimes not just depends how ricer I'm feeling that week ha ha why let all the nissas's have all the fun!!!
Old 09-16-2012, 09:51 AM
eric951turbo
Burning Brakes

Does anybody know if it makes a diiference in performance if I route it back somehow (some kind of reducer) to the original small stock bov hole.

Or is it better to weld a same size pipe on my maf pipe?
Old 09-16-2012, 09:54 AM
eric951turbo
Burning Brakes

Btw lightningmculty, thanks for your help, but I'm been fixing my running rich problem for over 2 years. It's getting better now, so I don't want to add another factor now. Thanks
Old 09-16-2012, 02:00 PM
Lightningmcnulty
Racer

No problem I completely understand, good luck

Quick Reply: Godzilla Bov question