Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

WTB: 951S roller or empty shell

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 05:13 PM
VWaddict
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Japanese cars SHOULD be RHD, since they drive on the left, but I vaguely recall that there's some odd tax rule that makes importing LHD cars less oppressive in terms of tax... Worth a look to see, I suppose, but the odd alphabet/language combo makes searching difficult.

If you buy a shell, I'm looking for rebuildable M030 front struts... just in case you come across anything...
Old 10-07-2012, 08:23 AM
darek_u
Pro

Bump again. Not much hope but who knows...
Old 10-07-2012, 10:12 AM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by darek_u
Trust me I've been monitoring the market very closely in almost whole EU for the last few months. Nothing or only damaged shells, once I was very close in France but somebody was faster... On the other hand my Turbo is US version.

I would prefer Turbo S - if I'm supposed to pay a little fortune for transport etc. I would rather want to hve exactly what I want. However I'm getting closer to the point that I may consider very similar chassis and make necessary modifications. PM me with photos and more information please.
Here's the deal, a "perfect roller" won't come in S form. Even with the market as soft as it is, no one is going to part an S because of a blown engine or similar failure.

There are two slight differences in the chasses. The rear quarters are rolled, and there is a triangular shaped piece of reinforcement sheet metal on the front.

If you aren't more flexible to the idea of a non-S donor, you will be looking for years. In the interest of time, if I were you, I'd just look for a plain one. Even a non-turbo if it is 85.5 or later. That opens up a whole lot more options for you.

Another thing you may want to consider is just buying a whole car. A non-running car costs about three times what a running car costs to ship across the US. It may be less expensive to pay the extra up front for a running car than to pay the added costs of shipping a non-running car.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:27 PM
darek_u
Pro

Originally Posted by 67King
Here's the deal, a "perfect roller" won't come in S form. Even with the market as soft as it is, no one is going to part an S because of a blown engine or similar failure.

There are two slight differences in the chasses. The rear quarters are rolled, and there is a triangular shaped piece of reinforcement sheet metal on the front.

If you aren't more flexible to the idea of a non-S donor, you will be looking for years. In the interest of time, if I were you, I'd just look for a plain one. Even a non-turbo if it is 85.5 or later. That opens up a whole lot more options for you.

Another thing you may want to consider is just buying a whole car. A non-running car costs about three times what a running car costs to ship across the US. It may be less expensive to pay the extra up front for a running car than to pay the added costs of shipping a non-running car.
I'm fully aware of differences in chassis as well as how difficult it is to find a S shell. That's why I'm looking also for straight 220 turbo '87 or '88 in US and S2 in Europe. Turbo S would be like a lottery win - it happens sometimes, that's why I'm trying. Maybe you right and I really should start another thread with title "Looking for '87 or '88 Turbo roller"?
I do not want non turbo 944 as there were quite a few differences, transplanting a whole front clip without a trace is possible but I went through this and failed.
I have contacted almost 20 sellers on Craigslist but only 2 replied (BTW one of these 2 was fellow Rennlister who sells his '87 turbo here as well), still looking but so far everything was either expensive and in great condition or already sold.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:22 PM
67King
Race Car

I
I do not want non turbo 944 as there were quite a few differences, transplanting a whole front clip without a trace is possible but I went through this and failed.
My Turbo has a non-Turbo front clip. The 85.5's and up are the same, which is why I mentioned that, specifically. Take a look, this is an 85.5 NA clip:
Old 10-07-2012, 05:09 PM
darek_u
Pro

OK, I double checked with '88 PET. Different parts are:
nose panel (does not matter - bolted) but it's brackets?? (951.503.063.00 and 070.00)
ignition coil support (specific for Turbo S but still available from Porsche for reasonable price)
951.504.321.01 air duct?
951.501.251.01 - bracket? is this the bolted on bracket that supports water cooler?
gussets - still available, easy to weld
what about headlight mounting, intercooler, all the pipes, cables, bolts - I do not know about them?
Old 10-07-2012, 05:39 PM
darek_u
Pro

Looking further towards the back different are roof and side sections. Aft end is identical.
I think '87 or '88 roller with ABS and SRS would be perfect. In worst case scenario i can use what I have and weld '87 or later n/a front with few modifications just after the firewall.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:01 PM
67King
Race Car

OK, I double checked with '88 PET. Different parts are:
nose panel (does not matter - bolted) but it's brackets?? (951.503.063.00 and 070.00)
ignition coil support (specific for Turbo S but still available from Porsche for reasonable price)
951.504.321.01 air duct?
951.501.251.01 - bracket? is this the bolted on bracket that supports water cooler?
gussets - still available, easy to weld
what about headlight mounting, intercooler, all the pipes, cables, bolts - I do not know about them?
Provisions are there for all of it. Everything welded is the same.

The aft parts you mention are the rolled quarters I mentioned.

Mentioning you need ABS and airbag parts has me wondering. WHat are you doing? I was under the impressoin you had a wrecked donor car and were looking for a straight body. If you need suspension parts, there are a lot more differences.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:59 AM
darek_u
Pro

Mentioning you need ABS and airbag parts has me wondering. WHat are you doing? I was under the impressoin you had a wrecked donor car and were looking for a straight body. If you need suspension parts, there are a lot more differences.
Saying ABS and SRS - I need support for pump and cutout for harness to be in place, SRS - support for computer and sensors. These are in '87 and newer turbos (not sure about ABS). I do not want to cut and weld these parts. Just simple swap, bolt for bolt.
I have complete Silver Rose with twisted and badly repaired body, l'm looking for straight and undamaged shell to repaint it and make a swap.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:14 PM
67King
Race Car

Saying ABS and SRS - I need support for pump and cutout for harness to be in place, SRS - support for computer and sensors. These are in '87 and newer turbos (not sure about ABS). I do not want to cut and weld these parts. Just simple swap, bolt for bolt.
I have complete Silver Rose with twisted and badly repaired body, l'm looking for straight and undamaged shell to repaint it and make a swap.
Not sure if any of that may have been done in advance. I believe they were both optional on the NA cars, though, so you still likely will have all of that in place on a late offset NA car (87+). 85.5-86 is a guess. As you can see from my clip, the 85.5 NA's accounted for the intercooler on the turbo (and it is ALL there). Not sure if they prepared for the ABS and SRS. Wish I could help on that one, but sadly, I can't. We do know that the suspension didn't change until 87, but the body, who knows? The changes were pretty minor.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:13 PM
jimwill
4th Gear

PM sent....who knows, this could work.
Old 10-13-2012, 03:46 PM
blade7
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 67King

I
Are you saying this was introduced from the "S" or only on the "S" ?, my 91 turbo has rolled rear arches and the triangular reinforcement welded on the strut tower/chassis rail.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:25 AM
darek_u
Pro

All Turbos from 89 have rolled fenders and gussets. 88 - only Special version S.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:10 PM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Japanese car? Hmmm, never thought about that... Aren't Japanese cars RHD? It is far away from Europe, I've never heard of anybody importing Japanese cars to EU, I don't even know where to look.
Lot's of 951,968 & 911 models have been imported from Japan to EU countries during the past 4-5 years. I know only here in Finland about 30 Japan import Porsches.All of them are LHD cars.
My neighbour bought few months ago this originally Japan Silber Rosa

Old 10-14-2012, 06:03 PM
darek_u
Pro

My neighbour bought few months ago this originally Japan Silber Rosa
Did he buy it directly from Japan or it's been in Finland for some time?

Quick Reply: WTB: 951S roller or empty shell