Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Hand Brake Cover

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 09:33 AM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

My carpet set is Feintuft, so it's cut-n-bound, not heat set. In fact, this carpet cannot be heat set since it's wool (including the backer). The carpet itself is incredible - sexiest damn carpet you've ever seen in a car.

The front carpets, for the most part, are drop-in. They fit very well and were easy to install. The hatch carpet isn't too bad either. It's not perfect though. Everything in between is worthless. The side pieces that go from the hand brake back just don't fit. And the side pieces for the hatch? Forget it. So what I've done so far is to use factory hatch side pieces and I've been looking for a very nice set of black rear seat floor carpet. I've been looking for a while too. I always seem to be 10 minutes too late whenever someone posts a set for sale. To make matters worse, I only need the rear seats and most sellers want to sell an entire set.

If you're going to go with an entire carpet set, I'd recommend professional installation. Someone who can cut and sew the pieces may be able to make it work, but I really wouldn't get my hopes up. When I contacted WU, they seemed completely unconcerned about the issues. They would not work with me at all on resolving the problems.

If I was going to do it over again, I would have bought just the front carpet set and gone OE for everything else.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:20 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks. Sounds like a plan. THe two areas that I need to replace are the front and the hatch. What did you pay for it, brand new, if I might ask?
Old 09-10-2012, 10:46 AM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

E: Nothing new on the door panels, I just shared my vinyl dying knowledge mit Herr Ausgeflippt.

Here's a couple of pics of the installed handbrake, please forgive the lived in seats:

Old 09-10-2012, 10:49 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Greg, you car is hideous! Out of quilt, you should ship it to me, so that I can take care of it and give it the love it needs. Do that today...and pay for it. I'll send it back, when it's ready. I promise.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:53 AM
CurtP
Drifting

Originally Posted by ehall
Thanks. Sounds like a plan. THe two areas that I need to replace are the front and the hatch. What did you pay for it, brand new, if I might ask?
IIRC, it was somewhere around $700 shipped. But that was back in 2008.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:25 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ehall
Out of quilt, you should ship it to me
We're good RL buddies Elliott but I'm not sure we're at the 'quilting buddy' level yet...
Old 09-10-2012, 12:26 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Don't underestimate the power of Da Quilt!
Old 09-15-2012, 08:37 PM
CurtP
Drifting

Greg - it looks like you're having better luck with your car than I am. News on the dash is that the leather shrunk and appears to have gotten wet. It also looks like I wasn't applying Leatherique often enough, which contributed to it shrinking. Woof.

Today the seats, rear cubbies and the floor carpet was removed and I started to install a new headliner. Fail. I made it 3/4 of the way through and it just wasn't looking right. Tried to gently pull an area back so I could smooth it out - ripped it. Had to take it all out. The headliner material I'm using this time is a lot harder to work with than the cloth I used last time. Thankfully I have enough on hand to do it again - I just don't know when I'll have the will to attempt it again, especially since I now have to go back and remove all the chunks of foam left behind.

I'm also having a dilemma about my WBO2/EBC gauges. I'm sick of looking at the pillar pod. But there's no good place to install two gauges. I cannot find any way to mount them that doesn't look like crap. Probably the best option is under the radio, but I really don't want to give up the cubby hole.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:15 PM
KaiKai951S
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greg is that a silver Crest on the center console arm pad?
Old 09-15-2012, 09:37 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Champagne, actually

And I'm not all that fond of it in truth.

Last edited by gregeast; 09-16-2012 at 12:05 AM.
Old 09-16-2012, 12:08 AM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Curt,

Sorry to hear about your dash, that sucks my friend. I'm pretty **** about using a windshield screen whenever it's parked outside, the Colorado sun can be brutal. I Leatherique it 3-4 times/year and, fingers crossed, so far it's holding up fine. Prolly gonna go do some Leatheriqueing tomorrow though.

Bummer on the headliner too. I've pondered doing it several times but wasn't excited about trying to reglue it and get it to look decent, your experience hasn't exactly warmed me to the task...

Hang in there, I suspect walking away was a good idea, next time you'll be ready to kill it.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:06 AM
CurtP
Drifting

I'm very **** about using a sunshield too - even bought a custom fit one (Coverking, I think). Unfortunately, I don't have a garage and there's no garage parking at the new job. I think I was only using Leatherique once/twice a year - obviously not enough. But after talking to Robert, leather isn't the best option for this climate and my apparent inability to maintain it. I was going to cover the center console in leather too, but I think that's no longer an option either, especially since I'm planning on getting a Saratoga top. So this time around, I'm going in a different direction with the interior. I don't want to divulge too much information yet

Don't be discouraged on the headliner. I was being impatient and it bit me in the ***. I should have waited a day after tearing the interior apart before starting on it. Last time I used a foam-backed headliner cloth which stretches easily. This time I'm using a foam-backed microfiber which isn't as forgiving. I was trying to work front to back which was a mistake. I should have done side to side instead. I'm doing it in one-piece too, which makes it more difficult.

Can you post some pictures of your gauges in your center console, please? Who's gauge panel do you have? I think I still have the one that came with my car, but I really didn't like it. I really don't want to give up my cubby, but I may not have a choice. I just know the pillar pod isn't going back in.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:27 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Cool

Here's some less than stunning photography of the gauges. I bought the gauge panel from Lindsey and then painted it with SEM texture paint, followed by a couple of coats of SEM Landau black. It comes stock black but with a brushed look to it that I didn't think fit with the rest of the interior.

Looking at these pictures I'm slightly disturbed that the screw heads aren't aligned. Oh the humanity! I think I bought the screws at the local Ace Hardware, the ones that came with it were either silver or weren't chamfered to fit in the screw holes or some other heinous crime, I just know I liked these better, lol.

Anticipating a question, the two passenger side switches are for a rear fog light and remote headlight adjustments, neither of which work at the moment. Apparently my wiring skills are in need of improvement. I do like that there aren't any blanks in the console . And yes, I should seek therapy.

Old 09-16-2012, 01:31 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

One other thought for you Curt, I know that Robby send his instrument cluster off to North Hollywood Speedometer (or was it Palo Alto?) and they modified the stock boost gauge in the instrument cluster to read in PSI. It looked pretty cool, I'll see if I can dig up a picture.

Edit: Added picture, gotta love Gmail search. Robby did red needles too. Edit 2: Was thinking you were trying to place a boost gauge, not sure this would help for a wideband.

Old 09-16-2012, 05:16 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 351 Posts

Greg, how can you possibly stand owning the car with those worn seats? That's just unbelievable, what a hoopty you have!

You'd die if you saw my car right now...

Quick Reply: Hand Brake Cover