Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Rogue A-Tune : Any threads or info on here about it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 11:53 PM
eman930
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes I understand, And I'd agree, Just wondering because I remeber when the Maxtune was the "Biggest and best" out there, Now it's off the map too..... But here is a question, Everyone talks about off boost, and mid throttle maps being smooth, wich is great, But what about the WOT and Boost maps, After all we didn't buy 951's to stay outta boost! How do those compare to stock or "other" WOT maps how does it feel, What are the HP/TQ increases on average?
Old 09-11-2012, 12:14 AM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by fast924S
Yes I understand, And I'd agree, Just wondering because I remeber when the Maxtune was the "Biggest and best" out there, Now it's off the map too..... But here is a question, Everyone talks about off boost, and mid throttle maps being smooth, wich is great, But what about the WOT and Boost maps, After all we didn't buy 951's to stay outta boost! How do those compare to stock or "other" WOT maps how does it feel, What are the HP/TQ increases on average?
It will be improved because of the MAP sensor and the 3D maps. It is better than stock because stock maps were very conservative because the setup had to generally make assumptions based on limited input (it was not boost aware). With after market chips it depends on a lot of factors. I can tell you the A-Tune performs and is safe.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:22 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by superloaf
thanks so much for the info. i'll be getting the A-tune but since i have to upgrade the DME board, i'll have to wait until i have somewhere to park my car for the time needed.

were you running a 3.0 bar FPR with the welts? also, i got my welts from a friend and so i just bought a wastegate shim instead of the banjo bolt--did the banjo bolt come with your chips? i thought weltmeisters used the shim method.

and did you service or replace your injectors when you went to the A-tune?
Stock injectors. Stock 2.5bar FPR. It did come with a restrictive piece inside the banjo. (The welt stuff was installed by the PO.) The PO also installed WG shims.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:27 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well I guess I can speak on the Max Kit because I have it. 55lb injectors,DP waste gate,2.5 catback and 18 psi on pump gas. My car can best be described as "Mr Toads Wild Ride" the throttle is no so much a regulator as it is an on/off switch!

As long as your playing Speed Racer,you got no problems, I had to do a beat down to some tail gating A hole (well he was tarrying to tailgate but wouldn't take no for an answer!) Sooo from 90 mph I down shifted and the car took off like it was shot from a cannon!

The down side is... if you don't want to spend a lot of time in court... the off boost,low rpm 4th 5th gear performance is just not there. 55mph speed limit,straight road for 10 miles' Toyota Corolla/Camry up ahead doing 51, your in the slow lane in 5th doing 60...Prius coming up 15 lengths behind doing 61,your dog meat!

It's just like driving two different cars, it's either totally insane or just not interested ie below 3000 rpm car says...call me when your interested!

Hope that helps?
Old 09-11-2012, 01:46 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

For some reason I'm struggling to put this into words..... (re-written it a few times)... so in short, there is only so much you can do to tune a stock car for WOT performance. The tuner will come up with a tune based on a few assumptions (100% stock, 15psi boost, etc.) and burn a chip that will work for most cars out there. Some tuners might add a little more fuel here, or a little less timing there, or whatever, to come up with what works best on the cars they've beta tested on. But there's only so much you can do - there is a theoretical limit to the power that stock 951 hardware can produce. There is no magic chip out there that you can slap into a stock 951 and pick up 200hp.

So taking that into consideration, if all you care about is WOT performance, I don't think you'll see much of a difference across ANY of the AFM chips - nothing earth shattering, anyways. One might make a % or two more power than the other, probably based on (a) how "risky" the tuner wanted to get and (b) the manufacturing tolerances of the vehicle itself... but otherwise, I'd bet that ALL of the AFM tunes out there (Lindsey/MAX, Vitesse, Autothority, Weltmeister, etc.) are gonna perform about the same, all other things equal, for peak power.

In theory, you'll probably pick up a little with the A-Tune vs. the others due to the MAP sensor taking actual boost into account and kind of self-correcting, since all the other AFM tunes on the market make assumptions for boost levels, etc. Unless your car is in the 100% exact configuration that the tune author tested on, and running the same exact boost levels, you're probably leaving something on the table with the other tunes (or running into the safety margin...) At least with the A-Tune you get the overboost protection, if nothing else.

What sets the A-Tune apart from the others is, as stated, the part-throttle driveability. You don't drive your car at 5,000rpm and WOT all the time, do you? You DO occasionally drive around town and in traffic. You DO have to pass through that midrange of the power band to GET to 5,000rpm. You need to get out of your neighborhood, wiggle through some traffic and stop lights, before you get to the expressway where you can floor it for a week straight, right? That's where the difference is VERY obvious. It makes the car MUCH more enjoyable to drive.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:09 PM
eman930
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
For some reason I'm struggling to put this into words..... (re-written it a few times)... so in short, there is only so much you can do to tune a stock car for WOT performance. The tuner will come up with a tune based on a few assumptions (100% stock, 15psi boost, etc.) and burn a chip that will work for most cars out there. Some tuners might add a little more fuel here, or a little less timing there, or whatever, to come up with what works best on the cars they've beta tested on. But there's only so much you can do - there is a theoretical limit to the power that stock 951 hardware can produce. There is no magic chip out there that you can slap into a stock 951 and pick up 200hp.

So taking that into consideration, if all you care about is WOT performance, I don't think you'll see much of a difference across ANY of the AFM chips - nothing earth shattering, anyways. One might make a % or two more power than the other, probably based on (a) how "risky" the tuner wanted to get and (b) the manufacturing tolerances of the vehicle itself... but otherwise, I'd bet that ALL of the AFM tunes out there (Lindsey/MAX, Vitesse, Autothority, Weltmeister, etc.) are gonna perform about the same, all other things equal, for peak power.

In theory, you'll probably pick up a little with the A-Tune vs. the others due to the MAP sensor taking actual boost into account and kind of self-correcting, since all the other AFM tunes on the market make assumptions for boost levels, etc. Unless your car is in the 100% exact configuration that the tune author tested on, and running the same exact boost levels, you're probably leaving something on the table with the other tunes (or running into the safety margin...) At least with the A-Tune you get the overboost protection, if nothing else.

What sets the A-Tune apart from the others is, as stated, the part-throttle driveability. You don't drive your car at 5,000rpm and WOT all the time, do you? You DO occasionally drive around town and in traffic. You DO have to pass through that midrange of the power band to GET to 5,000rpm. You need to get out of your neighborhood, wiggle through some traffic and stop lights, before you get to the expressway where you can floor it for a week straight, right? That's where the difference is VERY obvious. It makes the car MUCH more enjoyable to drive.
Perfectly said... again I wasn't arguing about what chips is better just wanted to hear input on how it feels, I think you did a great job at explaining it all
Old 09-11-2012, 02:28 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fast924S
Perfectly said... again I wasn't arguing about what chips is better just wanted to hear input on how it feels, I think you did a great job at explaining it all

Quick Reply: Rogue A-Tune : Any threads or info on here about it?