Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Rogue A-Tune : Any threads or info on here about it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 05:28 PM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Rogue A-Tune : Any threads or info on here about it?

ok, so i did search but the search never really seems to work for me so i'm just wondering if there are any threads from those who are using the A tune?

i'm thinking of going that way, a lot because of one of the comments on rogue's website about someone with a very similar set up to mine who installed the A tune and really loves it. i have weltmeister chips, single wastegate shim, LR boost enhancer and boost set to about 14psi and flowing through a B&B cat back exhaust. the car feels really fast (faster than it should in fact) and i'm happy but the driveability could be better. it does lack the smoothness that a stock car has and the boost really hits hard which is nice but smoother with lack of slight jerkiness could be much better. so would the A tune increase power or just make the car smoother?

also, if i go with the A tune, would i switch the KLR chip back to stock or keep the weltmeister in there?

i really like rogue's philosophy on tuning and seems he has very unique tuning options. and for good prices too.

many thanks in advance.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:06 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...ed-a-tune.html

I would switch KLR chip back to stock. Some aftermarket KLR chips have caused additional knock counts.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:51 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Just installed the A-tune yesterday but only had a chance to run on it for and hour or so and won't be able to run it for a while again now (I've got a problem...). With the addition of the MAP sensor the car was much more alive at lower rpm's / off boost, it was eager to go.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:25 PM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

thanks for the link info but what an annoying thread that is....starts very informatively and then gets stuck in not wanting to offend previous vendors! and what happened to all the promised dyno results? i would love to see that info.

i can't believe there's not more info on here about the a-tune....barely anything at all comes up on a search.

so anyone with any firsthand knowledge or use, please post here any and all details regarding the a-tune. and please, please, please the more detailed the better. i would love to know what it's like driving an a-tuned car and not just read, "yeah, i have a-tune and love it!" and dyno runs would be great also although i realize the major advantage is the tune and driveability.

and another question i have is if later i were to upgrade the injectors, will the a-tune be able to compensate or will a software change be required. (seems like it should be fine but while i understand the basic theory of the motronic tune, i'm always a bit unsure.)

and if rogue ant is listening, i would love to hear what he might add to this discussion. i love the philosophy behind his tuning and the way he runs things as well as the great pricing as vitesse (and others) are pretty much way out of my ballpark.

thanks

Last edited by superloaf; 09-03-2012 at 02:28 AM.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:32 PM
jlturpin
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMHO it is by far the most advanced motronic AFM chip available. It improves off boost response and has a much smoother transition to full boost thanks to full 3d fuel and timing maps.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:13 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Superloaf, you are correct in that the major advantage is in the increased driveability and power-delivery. Most chipsets will make similar peak power numbers (all things else remaining equal). But the real strength of the A/M-Tune is everywhere else.
Additionally, because we use airflow and pressure - the Tune adapts well to changes. So you can run 10psi one day, and 15psi the next without any tuning changes, and have comfort in knowing that both ignition timing and fueling will change accordingly.

Injector changes does require adjusting the Tune - but that isn't an issue. One thing to note though, is that the stock injectors are well sized for the stock AFM. If you are needing more fuel than what the stock injectors can handle, then most likely you are outrunning the AFM as well.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:00 AM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Well...Dyno results in post 93.

https://rennlist.com/forums/8491420-post93.html
Old 09-10-2012, 02:55 AM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by refresh951
Well...Dyno results in post 93.

https://rennlist.com/forums/8491420-post93.html
yeah, went back and saw that but i thought there were other people promising dyno results. but i guess i was wrong.

can you add any further insight about the A-tune now that you've had it awhile? why is it so hard to get detailed answers from people on rennlist? come on, make me want the A-tune, let me know how it feels to drive with it, compare it to standard chips, tell me any flaws with it, type me a novel, something, anything.....no one else has any thoughts on the A-tune? very strange as there was so much discussion before it came out and then once it's for sale, not much at all. (and joshua, i'm not trying to spread any doubt about your products as i believe the nearly 100% positive comments i've read. i know i will like it once i buy which i will eventually, but just like to hear more info on things i guess.)

joshua, is jim who you quote on your A-tune page on rennlist? i would love to hear from him since his car is similar to mine especially coming from the weltmeister chips so i think he could give me a good idea of what to expect.

thanks
Old 09-10-2012, 02:01 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

I'm pretty sure I've posted my impressions before (but alas am too lazy to search....)

I think the reason you won't find many A-Tune posts is that most guys just jump into the M-Tune right away. (I have no facts to back that up... but it's my theory, based on the feedback I've gotten from a few friends and local PCA guys asking about chips. $300 for A-Tune, or just get the full monty and do the M-Tune and get rid of the AFM.)

I had Welt chips on my car and went to the A-Tune and the difference was pretty dramatic in part throttle and off-boost situations - just like Joshua stated before. The midrange is awesome... car feels like it has a bigger motor in it around town. Overall delivery is smoother. Rather than "flat...flat...flat... WHAMMO BOOST!" the power builds more progressively.

Also odd little things are *really* noticeable - like driving with the A/C on (if yours works, that is). The improved mid range and part-throttle makes the car much more bearable to drive with the A/C running. I remember driving around with my Welt chips and the car was a DOG if I had the A/C running. It's not as bad with the A-Tune.

Another positive is that you get the overboost protection (which applies to both M- and A-Tune). At a trackday this past spring, my wife was running my car, and the boost line off the banjo burst, resulting in a massive boost spike. My wife is a good driver but is not mechanically inclined, and would not have noticed the PEGGED boost gauge. The boost protection kicked in and cut ignition. She freaked out (thought she broke the car) and idled the car back to the paddock. Had I still been running the Welt chips - that would've been a HG failure at least, or total motor at worst, because she would've kept driving it until it stopped. The A-Tune is the only tune for the stock AFM that offers this capability.

When I moved up to the M-Tune, I noticed about the same "bump" everywhere that I did when I went from Welt to A-Tune. Even more mid range (and around town, you don't even notice a difference between running the A/C, and not running the A/C), and the power hangs on a lot longer up top.

Really, IMO, you can't go wrong with the A-Tune for the money. If you don't want to dive into the M-Tune, the A-Tune is about as good as it gets. For what you get, at $300 I consider it a steal. Really I'm surprised more guys don't go with the A-Tune first.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:49 PM
cas951
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking for anyone with A tune and had to pass smog.Anyone had to do this yet? Curious to see results before A tune and after.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:16 PM
jc in rb
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cas951
I'm looking for anyone with A tune and had to pass smog.Anyone had to do this yet? Curious to see results before A tune and after.
+1
Old 09-10-2012, 11:28 PM
eman930
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

What ever happened to the MaxHP kits, and the Maxtune setups, I had one on my 924S and it was a sweet setup, Anyone running that??

http://www.maxhpkit.com/
Old 09-10-2012, 11:36 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

That's basically what Lindsey sells.

Nothing against Lindsey or Russell... but really, the A-Tune is a step above. A BIG step. No comparison when it comes to part throttle, mid range, and off boost performance.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:37 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fast924S
What ever happened to the MaxHP kits, and the Maxtune setups, I had one on my 924S and it was a sweet setup, Anyone running that??

http://www.maxhpkit.com/
A-Tune has 3D maps with a map sensor for $300! If you are not running a MAF it is far and away the best choice in my opinion. There really is no comparison here.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:51 PM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
I'm pretty sure I've posted my impressions before (but alas am too lazy to search....)

I think the reason you won't find many A-Tune posts is that most guys just jump into the M-Tune right away. (I have no facts to back that up... but it's my theory, based on the feedback I've gotten from a few friends and local PCA guys asking about chips. $300 for A-Tune, or just get the full monty and do the M-Tune and get rid of the AFM.)

I had Welt chips on my car and went to the A-Tune and the difference was pretty dramatic in part throttle and off-boost situations - just like Joshua stated before. The midrange is awesome... car feels like it has a bigger motor in it around town. Overall delivery is smoother. Rather than "flat...flat...flat... WHAMMO BOOST!" the power builds more progressively.

Also odd little things are *really* noticeable - like driving with the A/C on (if yours works, that is). The improved mid range and part-throttle makes the car much more bearable to drive with the A/C running. I remember driving around with my Welt chips and the car was a DOG if I had the A/C running. It's not as bad with the A-Tune.

Another positive is that you get the overboost protection (which applies to both M- and A-Tune). At a trackday this past spring, my wife was running my car, and the boost line off the banjo burst, resulting in a massive boost spike. My wife is a good driver but is not mechanically inclined, and would not have noticed the PEGGED boost gauge. The boost protection kicked in and cut ignition. She freaked out (thought she broke the car) and idled the car back to the paddock. Had I still been running the Welt chips - that would've been a HG failure at least, or total motor at worst, because she would've kept driving it until it stopped. The A-Tune is the only tune for the stock AFM that offers this capability.

When I moved up to the M-Tune, I noticed about the same "bump" everywhere that I did when I went from Welt to A-Tune. Even more mid range (and around town, you don't even notice a difference between running the A/C, and not running the A/C), and the power hangs on a lot longer up top.

Really, IMO, you can't go wrong with the A-Tune for the money. If you don't want to dive into the M-Tune, the A-Tune is about as good as it gets. For what you get, at $300 I consider it a steal. Really I'm surprised more guys don't go with the A-Tune first.

thanks so much for the info. i'll be getting the A-tune but since i have to upgrade the DME board, i'll have to wait until i have somewhere to park my car for the time needed.

were you running a 3.0 bar FPR with the welts? also, i got my welts from a friend and so i just bought a wastegate shim instead of the banjo bolt--did the banjo bolt come with your chips? i thought weltmeisters used the shim method.

and did you service or replace your injectors when you went to the A-tune?

jc in rb: i would imagine the A-tune will be ok for smog. i've been able to pass for several years with weltmeister chips and 15 psi even while i know the car runs quite rich. a few times it has been close and i'm in the high emitter profile so i have to go to the test only centers but all of my other cars are the same way too so i think it's more of just the age of the car.

also, rogue, will i be ok leaving the shim installed when i go to the A-tune? i assume it should be ok but just want to make sure.

Quick Reply: Rogue A-Tune : Any threads or info on here about it?