Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

2005 Ford GT40 vs. 1988 951S

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 12:02 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mudbuddha
Jim - Are you serious?! See, that's not cool in my book. I mean, you got a nice car, so good for you and enjoy it peacefully the way I see it. Don't have to be a jerk about it and lending a bad name to everybody else. I mean there are good drivers and enthusiasts out there for sure but there is always an a-****around every other corner is driving me crazy. Same with the GT40 dude- we were actually admiring his car but he had to be all douche bag about it so I got to put him in his place just a tad, and flexed some German muscle too. It's was just a little simulated fun so no harm all in all.
Seriously dude. coming from the guy trying to race a GT40 LMAOOOOO on the street. you just have a 951 thats it. Sorry to break it to you. with the exception of handfull of ppl on here can only beat a gt40.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:10 PM
mudbuddha
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Seriously dude. coming from the guy trying to race a GT40 LMAOOOOO on the street. you just have a 951 thats it. Sorry to break it to you. with the exception of handfull of ppl on here can only beat a gt40.
No problem man, it was just a story. Glad my story provided a good laugh to you- it's just some fun reading for the week is all. Even though it was simulated, only those with similar set up on here and/or with similar power level would know exactly what I am referring to. I wasn't trying to race the GT40 per se, just letting the GT40 driver knows that there are other fast cars out there as well that don't have to be "super car", and there will always be cars faster than yours out there- it's one of those murphy's law. Like I mentioned, just a little simulated run to see what it can do against a "super car" is all. I realized that our 951s are ancient compared to these modern cars out there but we can and will give them a run for their money....when instigated. We admire the GT40 but not the driver which is one of my points here. This guy was clearly being a d-bag and proud of it so had to put him in his place. Also, I know my limits and that's why I included the specs on the GT40 for reference...mines weighs approx. 2900lbs so I am 500lbs lighter than the GT40 and is the reason why my measly 430hp little 4 bangers caused him to move over. Also, GT40's Cd is .34 and the 951 is .31 iirc so with the lighter car and less frontal area to slice through the air, well, the 951 just gather speed a little faster. So it's no wonder I was able to run with the "super car". It's top speed is 190 and I don't doubt mines can do 180 so in relative terms my set up compared very favorably with the GT40. In all honesty, if we were going at it ***** out then maybe just maybe he will eventually walks me after 160 or so but who does that? Had I shifted down one gear then perhaps I might have to overtake the guy...who knows.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:21 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by reno808
Seriously dude. coming from the guy trying to race a GT40 LMAOOOOOr on the street. you just have a 951 thats it. Sorry to break it to you. with the exception of handfull of ppl on here can only beat a gt40.
You have a way to make friends inspector Clouseau
Old 08-23-2012, 01:31 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lart951
You have a way to make friends inspector Clouseau
you already know!!
Old 08-23-2012, 01:43 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

the little 951 gathers speed over 100 mph effortlessly. I thought it was intersting about the front drag coefficient. I assumed as much. I have been driving a 556hp CTS-V and yet my little modified Turbo car "feels" like it accelerates quicker at higher speeds. It could be the part throttle acceleration that makes me think that. Lightweight and small frontal area certainly doesn't hurt.

As far as top end I think I read the stock gearing basically limits our cars to "only" 172mph at redline. It's possible I've seen a little south of 160 a few times and it was still pullin!

In another simulation it's also possible that my car hung just off the bumper of a modern M5 (on purpose) and then laughed when it hit the factory imposed 155mph then shooting by like a rocket

The BMW drivers ALWAYS take it the hardest. A guy in a 135 M Series still wanted more after three attempts (he was right there everytime btw!). And a 135 Dinan driver was so upset he yanked the wheel so hard to avoid eye contact after defeat I thought his front end would wash out.

On the other hand a GT500 Shelby made me look like I hit reverse from a 80mph roll. A third gen RX7 made me look a little silly too...and that's with 80 cubic inches! It goes both ways.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:50 PM
mudbuddha
Rennlist Member

I know a lot of us put a much time, sweat and hard earned money into our lowly 951 as a labor of love so coming from those point of views, as an also been-there-done-that when I take my 951 out, it is to stand up for those core values. I mean after all, we have other cars to serve other purposes as well but Reno Nevada is right - it is just a 951, nothing more. If I was driving a honda civic then it would be a slightly shorter simulated story, nothing more, albeit I'd still give the GT40 or any d-bag a run for his money.

Lart - You are right about those 80-120 times. I wouldn't be surprise if the 951 is one of the best in this area. I know in Europe they do this type of measurements all the time to gauge overall performance. I did this test a loooong time ago in one of my first 951, forgot the numbers but sure missed the 1986 factory pearl white/burgundy combo.

Thanks for all your comments...good or bad, it's just for good times.
Old 08-23-2012, 02:05 PM
mudbuddha
Rennlist Member

I don't think of Cd much but in my case, i get to experience it a bit first hand. On the way back from the show, I had the roof up slightly and it just doesn't seemed as smooth to gain speed while cruising so yeah it does makes a difference when you are already at speed. Funny you mentioned about the GT500--i just read somewhere that in testing conditions, they just could not get it to go higher than 189 mph or there about. This is no doubt due to the no so pretty aerodynamics. Factory claimed 202 top speed for GT500. So yeah, it has to do with the overall package- acceleration, speed, and handling. Porsche usually does well in these areas for a reason.
Old 08-23-2012, 02:19 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

I don't think of Cd much but in my case, i get to experience it a bit first hand. On the way back from the show, I had the roof up slightly and it just doesn't seemed as smooth to gain speed while cruising so yeah it does makes a difference when you are already at speed. Funny you mentioned about the GT500--i just read somewhere that in testing conditions, they just could not get it to go higher than 189 mph or there about. This is no doubt due to the no so pretty aerodynamics. Factory claimed 202 top speed for GT500. So yeah, it has to do with the overall package- acceleration, speed, and handling. Porsche usually does well in these areas for a reason.
it was older one...may have been modified. I've driven the older (500hp) versions and they are fun to bang gears in..very fun.
Old 08-23-2012, 02:27 PM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by racerxrick
it was older one...may have been modified.
Not really into Mustangs even though I have an '11 GT for a DD, but that market is amazing. They're worse for modifying cars than p-car guys. Basically if it's not sporting a paper tag from a dealership I assume it's modified to some degree.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:15 PM
catamount
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I recall reading some time back that the 951 was for many, many years one of the fastest acceleration cars from 70 to 120 MPH with only a handful of exotics able to out accelerate it. I sure wish I could remember where I read that.

Lart - You are right about those 80-120 times. I wouldn't be surprise if the 951 is one of the best in this area. I know in Europe they do this type of measurements all the time to gauge overall performance. I did this test a loooong time ago in one of my first 951, forgot the numbers but sure missed the 1986 factory pearl white/burgundy combo.

Thanks for all your comments...good or bad, it's just for good times.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:46 PM
mudbuddha
Rennlist Member

I find it's pretty easy and quite enjoyable to put those so called "super cars" in their place. Especially at this elevation!! It's amazing how slow some of those things can be. It also helps that my car is tuned and ready at any moment.

Great story... I've had a couple of those Aha moments this last year myself. These cars will surprise you with the right combo...
I recall reading some time back that the 951 was for many, many years one of the fastest acceleration cars from 70 to 120 MPH with only a handful of exotics able to out accelerate it. I sure wish I could remember where I read that.
Definitely an Aha moment for me Sid. It's just one of those really cool moment when you like wow, this is what a 3L can do! I knew it wasn't a fluke and wanted to share my experience as I am sure quite a few of you had similar experiences with your own simulations. The GT40 basically had about 70 hp on me but being lighter, less drag, and with the proven 70-120 mph time fame, that's exactly where I was at. It's just so happened that the the simple 951 clearly had the hard wares to back up the simulation.

Last month, I did cleaned out the stock IC and I believe it did contribute to this run and helped with response time of the turbo. So you guys go and clean out your IC! The night before I thought about filling her up with some race gas and crank up the boost to 22+...can only imagine.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:05 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

*shrug* I found the story entertaining.

Reno just needs to figure out who keeps peeing in his Cheerios every morning, and tell them to quit doing it.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:06 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmm well I tried posting eariler but had issues. But I see my take on it has been representerd so better late than never:

No sweat man you made your point. And that guy in that GT40will approach 951 with less attitude in the future! Yes it is a 25 year old car and so is a Ferrari Daytona and that won't stand up to modern cars either (w/o work). We get a little cynical on here as this is a 951 site but resell value not withstanding,951's are not a dime a dozen! I have not seen another 951 in my area in 8 years and only one GT40! The 951 has alot of the attributes that most super cars have..good looks ,great performance and the
allure to convince there owners, fans to spend stupid amounts of money on them! To me that's what a performance car is about!

PS the RX 7 ie FD3 yep they can be fast but I bet it's back on jack stands...again! :P
Old 08-23-2012, 05:07 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

You read it in Excellence Magazine. I have the issue.....I'd have to look which one though.

Jason

Originally Posted by catamount
Old 08-23-2012, 05:48 PM
mudbuddha
Rennlist Member

A while back when I first installed the PowerHaus hybrid turbo, but with the old 2.5L I had similar experience running with the Ferrari Enzo- I posted about this a while back. I didn't even know it was the Enzo until I got home and looked it up- just thought that it was another one of those red ferrari. At that time, needless to say, I didn't have a chance- only had about 300 rwhp breaking in the turbo. From 3rd to 5th, redline in each except for 5th, by then the V12 630 HP machine just left me like I was doing 60 on a 55. I called my shop the next day and told them 2 things: First the turbo has broken in now and 2nd, I want more powah!

PS the RX 7 ie FD3 yep they can be fast but I bet it's back on jack stands...again! :P
The RX7, Rotor Wankel engines and all were formidable cars cause they were also very light with balanced handling---the apex seals issues killed reliability so much so that I don't think Mazda is making them anymore ending with the RX8.

Do enjoy reading on some of you guys' simulations. Thanks for sharing.

Quick Reply: 2005 Ford GT40 vs. 1988 951S