Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Ebay MBC's

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012 | 07:34 PM
Lightningmcnulty
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ebay MBC's

Did any of you guys every buy one of the cheap ebay mbc's, I did a search but when you put anything that might bring this up you get tonnes of threads.

I have used them before on other cars but wasn't sure if it would be suitable for a 951!?I know LR sells their version and I assume it would function the same way? I don't really see any reason why not but I'm not 100% sure.

I have a gauge and there is a set of chips installed in the car by the PO of unknown origin.

How much boost can you run with stock turbo and bottom end, I think I've read that they start to become inefficient after 15psi?!

I also have an adjustable fpr and afr gauge to set everything correctly.

thanks

Kim
Old 08-20-2012 | 07:41 PM
1987Porsche944WithRealLongName
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They aren't exactly a complicated device

If you really want to be on the cheap you can buy a pressure regulator from a hardware store for like $10
Old 08-20-2012 | 08:09 PM
Lightningmcnulty
Racer

I was thinking that but wasn't sure if they would have one that would operate in the range that we want.

I'm not trying to be too cheap just a little cheap, also the LR one seems a bit expensive.

I brought one of the more expensive ebay ones ($20 ha ha), its an inline type rather than a bleed valve which I thought would be favorable and its fully adjustable ball valve so I don't see why it wouldn't work

Kim
Old 08-22-2012 | 01:31 AM
Lightningmcnulty
Racer

nobody else used one of these?
Old 08-22-2012 | 11:13 AM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the Lindsey MBC. I think all the Black **** controller come from the same place but I don't know. There ae DIY's on building a MBC on the web.
Old 08-22-2012 | 11:20 AM
brrgrr
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are using the LR DP wastegate you should use a relieving type valve.
The valve LR uses is a norgren R07-100-RNTA - it is not an easy one to find. I just went through this, trust me. I would just order the valve from Lindsey for $35.
Old 08-22-2012 | 11:36 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by brrgrr
If you are using the LR DP wastegate you should use a relieving type valve.
The valve LR uses is a norgren R07-100-RNTA - it is not an easy one to find. I just went through this, trust me. I would just order the valve from Lindsey for $35.
it's a good working unit.

maximum boost on a k26/6 is 15 psi and dies off to 11-12 psi.
Old 08-22-2012 | 12:05 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought the one from Lindsey while purchasing some other stuff. The difference in price vs. eBay was negligible and I felt safer buying from LR. I know, a black **** is a black ****, but I'll pony up an extra $10 for peace of mind and to support a great vendor.
Old 08-22-2012 | 12:52 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Scott H
I bought the one from Lindsey while purchasing some other stuff. The difference in price vs. eBay was negligible and I felt safer buying from LR. I know, a black **** is a black ****, but I'll pony up an extra $10 for peace of mind and to support a great vendor.
+!, the Lindsey black **** has to be the least expensive performance mod for these cars!
Old 08-22-2012 | 12:54 PM
Lightningmcnulty
Racer

But I don't have the dual port, I just have the factory wastegate right now, does that make a difference to which mbc i should use?

thanks

Kim
Old 08-22-2012 | 01:02 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

No only makes a differance on how you hook it up.
Old 08-22-2012 | 01:11 PM
Lightningmcnulty
Racer

Thats what I thought, with single port it goes to the top 'port' and on dual port it goes to the side right?

I can't see what the difference would be between a cheap reg and the LR in that accept maybe the size of the openings?!
Old 08-22-2012 | 01:26 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The difference is down to quality. Ultimately this thing will be in control of regulating your boost (which if unregulated, or regulated poorly can make your engine go pop if you don't catch it in time/have tuning with built in fail safes), Norgren is a great company/product, who knows what you're getting on eBay. This applies only to black *****, ball and spring valves are perfectly fine from eBay.

As for single vs. dual port the difference is that in single port the boost pressure has to overcome only the spring pressure in the wastegate. In dual port the same thing happens, but you introduce boost pressure on the opposite side of the diaphragm adding to the spring pressure and keeping the WG valve shut a little longer to aid in spool. The general consensus is to use a ball and spring on a single port and black **** on a dual port. The ball and spring will help spool-up on a single port. At the end of the day it's six of one, half a dozen of another.

The stock wastegate has only one port, on top. Lindsey Racing replaces the diaphragm and its housing so they can add the second port. The LR WG hooks up the same way as stock (single: boost feed to top port; double: boost feed to the top port, regulated air to the side port), if you were to upgrade to a Tial then the plumbing is reversed with the boost feed on the side and regulated feed on top. Alternatively you can run the Tial as a single port by leaving the top port not connected.

Hope some of this info helps
Old 08-22-2012 | 07:18 PM
Lightningmcnulty
Racer

Yeah it does.

I'm going to try the ball and spring type that is on its way to me and go from there, I do have a boost gauge but so long as the unit doesn't fall apart and vent to atmosphere there shouldn't be any reason for it to cause failure!?

I do want to upgrade my waste gate to a tial unit eventually.

I assume there is an adapter kit to make them fit?!
Old 08-22-2012 | 11:00 PM
hp18racer
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

The rub for me with the cheap black **** controller was it was something like 0-80psi so a tiny change in the **** made a huge change in the useable boost range.

I tried a ball and spring type on two different cars. The first one I put it on had a Turbonetics waste gate, on that car I got big surges in boost, couldn't use it. On a different car with a factory waste gate it worked fine.

Quick Reply: Ebay MBC's