Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 01:48 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default ehhh weird over boost.

with my gtx3076r w .83 ar rear housing, eBoost2 & TiAL 38mm w/g

in 2nd gear i'd rev about ~4000 rpm and put my foot down, even slowly and it will over boost to 20-21 psi. it triggers boost cut on the m-tune and even triggers boost cut on the eBoost (20 psi)

7psi w/g spring and my eBoost 2 is set to open at 12 psi (recommended 3 psi before desired boost pressure) and in 3rd gear it will boost to 17-18 psi but it tapers up from 12 to 17 psi after the wastegate being open.

is my turbo spooling to quick for the eBoost to keep up? or do i need a larger wastegate?
Old 08-17-2012, 02:33 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Personally I prefer running higher spring pressures in the wg and using single port. I never have any issues at all. Flat line boost logs. It may spool slightly slower but I don't think so.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:34 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blown 944
Personally I prefer running higher spring pressures in the wg and using single port. I never have any issues at all. Flat line boost logs. It may spool slightly slower but I don't think so.
Simpler, more reliable, less to break. Always the better way to go. Unless you like having 2 boost modes and nitrous as back up.

1. Regular boost. Lose racee.. Hit high boost button
2. Just barely lose race on High boost. Bet more money and turn on Nitrous
3. High boost and nitrous wins.. Collect money.

Blows their minds every time. Because you never actually run all 3 at the same time unless you absolutely HAVE to. So many people "know" how fast you are. I laugh at them. Old school racers are evil.

Originally Posted by Paulyy
with my gtx3076r w .83 ar rear housing, eBoost2 & TiAL 38mm w/g
in 2nd gear i'd rev about ~4000 rpm and put my foot down, even slowly and it will over boost to 20-21 psi. it triggers boost cut on the m-tune and even triggers boost cut on the eBoost (20 psi)
7psi w/g spring and my eBoost 2 is set to open at 12 psi (recommended 3 psi before desired boost pressure) and in 3rd gear it will boost to 17-18 psi but it tapers up from 12 to 17 psi after the wastegate being open.
is my turbo spooling to quick for the eBoost to keep up? or do i need a larger wastegate?
Pauly, as Sid says, you should just do the one Pressure line to the bottom of the Tial. - make sure it is a boost feed port and not a coolant port if you have the newer style Tial. See if it boost to 7psi and stops. Do not cap off top port. make sure boost reference line goes to Bottom port on Tial, not top. - Start there. If you only hit 7psi, then your problem is not in the turbo spool time, or wastegate size, or anything of the sort.

This is very easy to do and tells a lot. Please start there.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:55 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by blown 944
Originally Posted by 95ONE
Simpler, more reliable, less to break. Always the better way to go. Unless you like having 2 boost modes and nitrous as back up.

1. Regular boost. Lose racee.. Hit high boost button
2. Just barely lose race on High boost. Bet more money and turn on Nitrous
3. High boost and nitrous wins.. Collect money.

Blows their minds every time. Because you never actually run all 3 at the same time unless you absolutely HAVE to. So many people "know" how fast you are. I laugh at them. Old school racers are evil.

Pauly, as Sid says, you should just do the one Pressure line to the bottom of the Tial. - make sure it is a boost feed port and not a coolant port if you have the newer style Tial. See if it boost to 7psi and stops. Do not cap off top port. make sure boost reference line goes to Bottom port on Tial, not top. - Start there. If you only hit 7psi, then your problem is not in the turbo spool time, or wastegate size, or anything of the sort.

This is very easy to do and tells a lot. Please start there.
Okay thanks, never thought of running single port. i'll try it and i'll log it.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:06 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

my log file didn't save so an unknown reason so i can't show anything
i ran spring pressure and its reaches 9.5 psi.

in single port mode all hooked up properly, it boosted the same, no difference on psi. And still it over boosted this time it was 19.7 psi because it hit boost cut on the DME.

Tomorrow i'll see why it's not logging and try again. but it feels the same single/dual port
Old 08-18-2012, 11:40 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

i have mine in single port. seams solenoid is the issue
Old 08-18-2012, 11:45 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Pauly, I got a little confused there. I apologize.

So when you ran single port on spring only, did it go to 9.5 psi and stop every time? - If so, then your set up is fine.. It's the electronic boost controller and or solenoid. (because clearly you are able to keep boost down to 9.5psi with that hardware.) - even if it's new. I hate the new controllers and their dinky little chineese solenoid boxes.

Or did it creep to 19.5 psi while set up in spring only? It seems you were talking about two different set ups and not just the simplest one on spring pressure only. - if so, double check the next question;

Additionally, have you changed out the springs recently? If so, did you make absolutely sure, and take great care to not pinch the diaphragm while tightening the assembly back together? - you have to constantly check as you thread each screw down. And, you have to screw each one down in baby steps. All 6 down 1/4 way, then 1/2 way, then 3/4..

I'm not trying to insult, I'm just making sure all the basics are covered. Other than the fact that pinching the diaphragm is one of the main causes of boost creep.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:34 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by reno808
i have mine in single port. seams solenoid is the issue
single/dial won't make a difference if you've got a EBC as you can set when the gate opens.

Pauly, I got a little confused there. I apologize.

So when you ran single port on spring only, did it go to 9.5 psi and stop every time? - If so, then your set up is fine.. It's the electronic boost controller and or solenoid. (because clearly you are able to keep boost down to 9.5psi with that hardware.) - even if it's new. I hate the new controllers and their dinky little chineese solenoid boxes.

Or did it creep to 19.5 psi while set up in spring only? It seems you were talking about two different set ups and not just the simplest one on spring pressure only. - if so, double check the next question;

Additionally, have you changed out the springs recently? If so, did you make absolutely sure, and take great care to not pinch the diaphragm while tightening the assembly back together? - you have to constantly check as you thread each screw down. And, you have to screw each one down in baby steps. All 6 down 1/4 way, then 1/2 way, then 3/4..

I'm not trying to insult, I'm just making sure all the basics are covered. Other than the fact that pinching the diaphragm is one of the main causes of boost creep.
first of you're not insulting me, it's how you help so say what you have to say!

okay i've never touched the spring or opened it!

i'll explain it better. what happens (both times) in 2nd gear when i put my foot down at around 4000+ rpm my turbo will spool quickly and the gate opens and hits over boost.
IT feels like the wastegate can't regulate the exhaust in the crossover quick enough. because i do it in 3rd 4th ect it's fine, just takes a while to get to full boost as i made it open at 12 psi so it creeps up to ~18.

If i try a MBC set to ~18 psi and if it doesn't overboost it's the eBoost2 and if it does overboost, would it be the wastegate?
Old 08-19-2012, 08:43 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

single/dial won't make a difference if you've got a EBC as you can set when the gate opens.

first of you're not insulting me, it's how you help so say what you have to say!

okay i've never touched the spring or opened it!

i'll explain it better. what happens (both times) in 2nd gear when i put my foot down at around 4000+ rpm my turbo will spool quickly and the gate opens and hits over boost.
IT feels like the wastegate can't regulate the exhaust in the crossover quick enough. because i do it in 3rd 4th ect it's fine, just takes a while to get to full boost as i made it open at 12 psi so it creeps up to ~18.

If i try a MBC set to ~18 psi and if it doesn't overboost it's the eBoost2 and if it does overboost, would it be the wastegate?
This is not true. It depends how you want to control boost. I am running single port using an EBC. I can show how EBC says it to hook it up running single port.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:01 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by reno808
This is not true. It depends how you want to control boost. I am running single port using an EBC. I can show how EBC says it to hook it up running single port.
can you please elaborate the difference? it'll be much appreciated!
Old 08-19-2012, 11:28 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

does this look like your boost solenoid?
Attached Images  
Old 08-19-2012, 11:42 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

yep
Old 08-19-2012, 02:00 PM
95ONE
Race Car

i ran spring pressure and its reaches 9.5 psi.
So to be clear, WITHOUT any other set up or using the boost controller, and just running spring pressure, (Boost hose to bottom of Tial)

You ran to 9.5 psi and stopped.. no more boost. You tried this at least 3-4 times and got to 9.5 psi every time without going over?
Old 08-20-2012, 07:09 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

So to be clear, WITHOUT any other set up or using the boost controller, and just running spring pressure, (Boost hose to bottom of Tial)

You ran to 9.5 psi and stopped.. no more boost. You tried this at least 3-4 times and got to 9.5 psi every time without going over?
Next time i'm in my car which might be friday, i'll log everything.

how it spools from 2k and at 4k in 2nd gear.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:38 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Paluy when i get home. I'll post which way to hook up the solenoid whether its single or dual port.

Quick Reply: ehhh weird over boost.