Good choice? Precision Billet 58mm BallBearing Turbocharger

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 04:25 PM
MarkRobinson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Good choice? Precision Billet 58mm BallBearing Turbocharger

I just purchased a Billet 58mm Ballbearing Turbocharger for my 951S.

Comes with a .82 AR Tial V-band housing, though turbine wheel appears to be about 2.5" or so. It came off a friend's Lamborghini TT & only has a thousand miles on it: he went bigger, I got it for 1/2 price.

I figure anything is better than my worn, original 187k mile turbocharger & for the $, this will be hard to top.

Car has a recent valve job (guides & seals too), polished ports, full 3" no-cat exhaust & will sport my Lindsay MAF until I find reason to go with an M-tune.

Anyone out there running this turbocharger?

Mark
Old 08-08-2012, 10:41 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The turbine is too big for your 2.5L turbo unless it was a purely dedicated track car, and even then, without a lot of supporting top end modifications or a lot more displacement... it's still too big.

You should be looking at .58 a/r "O" trim or smaller.

Also, you need to know what the compressor is so that you can map it out. But if it came off a Lambo, it probably not a good map for your "low" (relatively speaking...) rpm engine.

TonyG
Old 08-09-2012, 12:53 AM
George D
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkRobinson
I just purchased a Billet 58mm Ballbearing Turbocharger for my 951S.

Comes with a .82 AR Tial V-band housing, though turbine wheel appears to be about 2.5" or so. It came off a friend's Lamborghini TT & only has a thousand miles on it: he went bigger, I got it for 1/2 price.

I figure anything is better than my worn, original 187k mile turbocharger & for the $, this will be hard to top.

Car has a recent valve job (guides & seals too), polished ports, full 3" no-cat exhaust & will sport my Lindsay MAF until I find reason to go with an M-tune.

Anyone out there running this turbocharger?

Mark
Mark,

Tony is correct, this turbo is too large for your motor. I'm running a Precision 6262 with a .58 hotside on a 3.1 motor.

PM me with with a picture of your turbo, cold and hot side. You should be able to trade for a smaller turbo, or better yet, trade for bolt on k27/6.

These turbos are not bolt on. They take a great deal of fabrication work. If you are good at this, you'll just be out your time and materials till you get the fitement right. Then finding a way to tune for this turbo.

Point: There are proven turbos with chips for your needs.

George
Old 08-09-2012, 12:58 AM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Your friend was most likely using the turbo in a twin turbo application. 58mm isn't a bad compressor for our displacement. A 60ar housing is the about the largest you will be able to fit under the stock intake manifold. 2.5 inch turbine seems to be a t3 hot side housing. You could send it out and have the to4e 60 ar housing machined to accept the 58 mm wheel and if you are trying to do a drop in replacement. You will also need to install a Turbonetics replica #8 hotside housing. For me it sounds like a little to much work. Unless you received the turbo at a steal.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:49 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
Your friend was most likely using the turbo in a twin turbo application. 58mm isn't a bad compressor for our displacement. A 60ar housing is the about the largest you will be able to fit under the stock intake manifold. 2.5 inch turbine seems to be a t3 hot side housing. You could send it out and have the to4e 60 ar housing machined to accept the 58 mm wheel and if you are trying to do a drop in replacement. You will also need to install a Turbonetics replica #8 hotside housing. For me it sounds like a little to much work. Unless you received the turbo at a steal.
.58 a/r turbines hit the sweet spot on a 2.8L - 3.0L street daily driver. They can too work fairly good on a 2.5L daily driver provided they use the smallest trim size.

Personally... a large T04B not only physically fits better... but it has a compressor map that's probably better suited to a stockish 2.5L engine.

As far as the max size of the turbines goes with respect to fitment... It's not the intake that's the problem. It's the motor mount. The larger turbine housings hit the side of the motor mount with is an oil return plenum for the factory air/oil separator. The solution is quite simple... cut the motor mount plenum down so that you can fit the larger a/r turbine housings. Done it many times.

In short... I'd be looking for a K27/6 or a T04B/60-1HiFi on a .48 trim P or .58 trim O housing. If unsure which... go for the smaller of the two.

TonyG
Old 08-09-2012, 07:53 AM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by George D
PM me with with a picture of your turbo, cold and hot side. You should be able to trade for a smaller turbo, or better yet, trade for bolt on k27/6.
Post it up. I might actually have something. I've got a new 27/8 with a Holset impeller that Evergreen built for a 2.5L 8V - and I'm now working on a 3.0L 16V. May be interested.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:47 AM
jimbo1111
Banned

Originally Posted by TonyG
.58 a/r turbines hit the sweet spot on a 2.8L - 3.0L street daily driver. They can too work fairly good on a 2.5L daily driver provided they use the smallest trim size.

Personally... a large T04B not only physically fits better... but it has a compressor map that's probably better suited to a stockish 2.5L engine.

As far as the max size of the turbines goes with respect to fitment... It's not the intake that's the problem. It's the motor mount. The larger turbine housings hit the side of the motor mount with is an oil return plenum for the factory air/oil separator. The solution is quite simple... cut the motor mount plenum down so that you can fit the larger a/r turbine housings. Done it many times.

In short... I'd be looking for a K27/6 or a T04B/60-1HiFi on a .48 trim P or .58 trim O housing. If unsure which... go for the smaller of the two.

TonyG
Sorry Tony, but I think we are talking across each other about two different subject matters. The 58mm the OP is discussing. I believe is relating to the cold side Garrett compressor measurements. While you are taking it to refer to the housing size. I'm assuming. Maybe the OP can clarify for us. BTW: Not doubting your expertise but the K27 doesn't come close to comparing to the new Garrett trim. 20 years of technology. I should hope not. LOL I've had plenty of variants myself to know for sure.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:02 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't even see where a t4 .58 is mentioned. He has a tial .82 which is fine. The 58 mm inducer will spoil quite well. IMO its an excellent choice. Will need some fab but it'll be worth it. Throw some tuning and e85 and your @ 400 hp.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:45 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 67King
Post it up. I might actually have something. I've got a new 27/8 with a Holset impeller that Evergreen built for a 2.5L 8V - and I'm now working on a 3.0L 16V. May be interested.
Take that and RUN
Old 08-09-2012, 01:48 PM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most likely it is a Precision 5858, similar to a GTX 3076, perfect match for a 951.

It bolts to the factory mount, you only have to make new oil/supply/ drain lines and fab down/ crossover pipes.

Recommending a antiquated KKK over this is laughable.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:54 PM
George D
Drifting

Till we see pictures, we don't know what he actually has.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:35 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Originally Posted by pole position
Most likely it is a Precision 5858, similar to a GTX 3076, perfect match for a 951.

It bolts to the factory mount, you only have to make new oil/supply/ drain lines and fab down/ crossover pipes.

Recommending a antiquated KKK over this is laughable.
Well! I wouldn't exactly say that. It's definitely an improvement over stock and it doesn't suffer from oil blow by like the dynamic seals on these newer turbos. I don't mind blowing oil smoke between shifts but it can be a PITA on a gentlemans car. Now, Just to give you an idea of the difference in performance of a k27 and a gt35. I have a friend of mine who has run 11.7 at English town NJ with a 951 and a k27/8. I asked him how much boost he runs and he said he ran with the **** turned all the way up. He produced a spike of about 28psi. With a totally shut wastegate he managed to only get up to 28lbs. Now on one occasion I made a mistake and hooked up my wastegate and MBC wrong and saw over 60psi on my gauge momentarily till I shut it down. It's definitely way to much turbo for what these transmission components can hold up to.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:23 PM
George D
Drifting

A K27/6 or 8 is actually a good turbo for a slightly modded 951. I know, the newer turbos are better, but these turbos were designed with our high tq, low boost applications. At 13 to 17 psi, they are in their effeciency zone, where some of the newer turbos don't get there till 20 - 30 psi.

One of the best 951's I've owned had a modded head, MAF, Split Second fuel controller, Chips, full 3" exhaust, 3 bar rising rate FPR and STOCK injectors. Car hit 345tq at 3500rpm and 335hp at 6200rpm running 17psi. When you hit the gas, there was very little lag, and the car was one of the fastest cars in my area about 13 years ago. These numbers are what many listers are seeing with modern turbos, and similar mods today. When I went with a Lindsey Racing Super 75 on a different car, with better electronics, but very similar mods, we got another 100hp but similar tq, BUT it moved max tq all the way up to 5K. The K27 car was MUCH faster.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
dyno 2.5.pdf (95.2 KB, 159 views)
Old 08-09-2012, 08:32 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Yeah yeah yeah...

What about that sideways picture? I'm getting a neck-ache.

And what he said ^ about the K27/6 & K27/8. Great low lag turbos. Perfect for street cars. And cheap too.

TonyG

Originally Posted by George D
A K27/6 or 8 is actually a good turbo for a slightly modded 951. I know, the newer turbos are better, but these turbos were designed with our high tq, low boost applications. At 13 to 17 psi, they are in their effeciency zone, where some of the newer turbos don't get there till 20 - 30 psi.

One of the best 951's I've owned had a modded head, MAF, Split Second fuel controller, Chips, full 3" exhaust, 3 bar rising rate FPR and STOCK injectors. Car hit 345tq at 3500rpm and 335hp at 6200rpm running 17psi. When you hit the gas, there was very little lag, and the car was one of the fastest cars in my area about 13 years ago. These numbers are what many listers are seeing with modern turbos, and similar mods today. When I went with a Lindsey Racing Super 75 on a different car, with better electronics, but very similar mods, we got another 100hp but similar tq, BUT it moved max tq all the way up to 5K. The K27 car was MUCH faster.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:04 PM
George D
Drifting

Originally Posted by TonyG
Yeah yeah yeah...

What about that sideways picture? I'm getting a neck-ache.

And what he said ^ about the K27/6 & K27/8. Great low lag turbos. Perfect for street cars. And cheap too.

TonyG
OT: How many years ago did we have that dyno day with Derrick Huntley in Santee?

My car was full of luggage, and I still had the best numbers....LOL.

That blue 89 951 I had is the one that Jeff Dicicco installed a 3.0. He just rebuilt it here in Tucson with the help of Sean, Justin, and me delivering food and booze. I did help, and it came out great.

Quick Reply: Good choice? Precision Billet 58mm BallBearing Turbocharger