Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

TonyG > New Race Car Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 12:04 PM
thingo
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 951and944S
These kind of mods are pretty much out of most people's league but it's interesting to see fully developed cars like the latest contributors on this last page of the thread.

We race PCA, so unless you are building up an all out GT car, class rules would not allow aftermarket transmissions, and while I really have no reason to investigate this avenue for SP2 and SP3 cars that we race, it made me wonder,

1) In a PCA GT car, you could probably get away with a PDK transmission as it would be "factory Porsche gearbox".

2) Following Tony's links to the pneumatic shifter setup and the transmission itself, by the time you start adding up all the necessary hardware, sorting out the software (as Duke stated)....would it not be possible (and way less expensive) to just find donor parts from salvaged Caymans and just adapt this transmission...?

I was in the transmission business for 25 years, so naturally, when the PDK arrived on the scene, I was curious enough to read as much as I could, although at the time, not much information about internals was out there (probably due to proprietary reasons) and the factory was the only way to get a unit either repaired or refreshed was through a factory exchange program.

When you hear the PCA class Caymans with PDK pass by on track, the gear change speed is unbelievable and it, by design, should be even faster than any pneumatically shifted conventional gearbox, since by design, if I understand correctly by the limited information available at the time, the next gear is already engaged before it's actually selected by the use of twin input shafts (PDK = Porsche double coupling).

T. Simon
The pdk is a great gearbox but there is no aftermarket way to control the software, and it's probably more complicated than a sequential, and the coding is not even available. Porsche would have spent a lot of time on it.
Old 02-12-2016, 09:17 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Duke
Link G4+ Xtreme. Closed loop ignition cut, the GCU sends the cut signal to the ECU which cuts the ignition for as long as the signal is active. You can adjust some settings in the ECU for the re-introduction of ignition to smooth it out if necessary.
Our plan is to interupt the IAC signal, via relay, when the GCU sends the signal.

The GM ECM has a IAT ignition table used for when the IAT fails. Chopping the IAC signal will make the ECM use that ignition table (instead of the normal ignition table) which can then be mapped as necessary to get the engine to unload.

TonyG
Old 03-10-2016, 09:03 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Here's the update....

Albins trans on the way. Be here before the next race. But unfortunately, I'll have to do the next event (California Festival of Speed in Fontana) with the 5 speed.

Anyway, broke the clutch and bell housing in the last race.

Needed to go to a super light clutch assembly for the sequential, so it is what it is...

BTW, I have a nice Spec aluminum flywheel and disk in good shape for sale if anybody needs one >>> IT's for a LSx engine in a 944/968 BTW.

TonyG

Old 03-10-2016, 09:20 PM
AlphaOmegaPower
Pro

What's your disk made of?
Old 03-10-2016, 09:22 PM
AlphaOmegaPower
Pro

Originally Posted by 333pg333
I hate you all....

....in the nicest possible way.
I'm right there with you. Lol
Old 03-11-2016, 12:00 AM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

"BTW, I have a nice Spec aluminum flywheel and disk in good shape for sale if anybody needs one."

Max Energy.....pick up the red house phone.

T
Old 03-11-2016, 12:04 AM
951and944S
Race Car

Tony, you are a warrior man.

If world apocalypse ever comes and we're left to war with ancient weapons.

I want you on my castle siege team.....

T
Old 03-11-2016, 12:27 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by AlphaOmegaPower
What's your disk made of?
Which disk?

TonyG
Old 03-11-2016, 01:06 AM
951and944S
Race Car

Originally Posted by TonyG
Our plan is to interupt the IAC signal, via relay, when the GCU sends the signal.

The GM ECM has a IAT ignition table used for when the IAT fails. Chopping the IAC signal will make the ECM use that ignition table (instead of the normal ignition table) which can then be mapped as necessary to get the engine to unload.

TonyG
You should be able to switch the throttle pedal sensor value between actual throttle position to .5v (idle). Each +.1 volt increment from there would give you 2% more throttle over idle to fine tune.

T
Old 03-11-2016, 04:16 AM
AlphaOmegaPower
Pro

Which disk?

TonyG
Clutch
Old 03-11-2016, 04:24 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by AlphaOmegaPower
Clutch
I realize that. I didn't know if you were referring to the previous or the new disk setup. But in both cases, I don't know that they are made out of.

The previous disk is a Spec Stage 2+. Very nice engagement and could easily be used for daily driving. No slippage with over 500RWTQ and over 600RWHP.

The new disk is the Spec Mini Twin. Rated for even more power. Definitely not a clutch for daily driving. But with the new sequential, the clutch won't be used except for moving around the pit area so it is not an issue.

TonyG
Old 03-11-2016, 07:16 AM
Jherriott
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Awesome build, and great vid clip. Just out of curiosity... Do they even allow wet-sumps on that track? :P

That is some serious sustained Gs on the big bend.
Old 03-11-2016, 10:55 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by Jherriott
Awesome build, and great vid clip. Just out of curiosity... Do they even allow wet-sumps on that track? :P

That is some serious sustained Gs on the big bend.
There are a lot of cars that run wet sumps on that track... but not "fast" cars with big tires and brakes... at least not for long :-)

TonyG
Old 03-11-2016, 11:40 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

It's been a while since I've posted any updates. So here goes...

Been dealing with weak CV joints and stock 944 transmissions, which have proven to be weak, and geared incorrectly respectively.

That said, I ordered an Albins sequential pneumatic paddle shift transmission with all the goodies. Waiting on parts still.

In the mean time, the car has been running good. And have been racing it a lot.

Last weekend at WSIR, did an official 1:21.3 on used tires. Won pole, and the the first race. Took a 2nd in the second race (see video below). Broke the clutch bell housing in 2 pieces in the 3rd race... which is probably why the car shifted poorly in the 2nd race... which you can see at the start where I got the jump, but the car wouldn't go into 4th gear.... nice. I couldn't shift it fast the entire race.

What I can say... is that once the sequential trans is in... the reliability goes up exponentially, and the car will probably drop close to 2 seconds per lap due to the no-lift shift, the automatic rpm matched down shifting, and having gearing that takes advantage of the engines optimal power band. (sucks coming out of corners at 4000rpms... or less depending on the track).

What else... took out the Cool Suit system and purchased a KoolBox IV a/c electric a/c system, the dry sump works perfectly, went to 997 RSR rear suspension uprights, and a few more other small things.

Here's a video of last weekend. 35 cars in the field, 7 in GT1 (my class). I took 2nd in this race (won the first race).

TonyG

Tony Garcia - POC RedRace #2 Feb5, 2016 WSIR - YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lijWSThbmaQ"]Tony Garcia - POC RedRace #2 Feb5, 2016 WSIR - YouTube
Great driving !!!
Love this!!!!
You kicked *** buddy
Old 03-30-2016, 07:49 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Well.... Here it is! Woo F'N Hoo....

Albins ST6-M

Ramp Style LSD, 996TT output drive hubs, multiple drop gears, pneumatic paddle shifting

TonyG

Quick Reply: TonyG > New Race Car Build Thread