Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Best Turbo For a Street Car

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 01:35 AM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

To be honest, IMHO I just don't think that 8HP Evinrude will get him and his drugs very far down the river. Turbo conversion for sure and you'll be slingin' like Pablo!
Old 08-31-2012, 10:13 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bang for the buck turbo is K27. Others options of course but then you are spending 4k on a 2k turbo.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:41 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Black51
To be honest, IMHO I just don't think that 8HP Evinrude will get him and his drugs very far down the river. Turbo conversion for sure and you'll be slingin' like Pablo!
Yeah, but it's all about STEALTH! The hard part will be cramming the ingine into that evinrude box.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:10 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Funny, when Mark said ‘boat’ I thought he was talking about his 928….not a real boat! (Sorry Mark, couldn’t resist that!)

I guess this must be one of those ‘great....crazy minds think alike’ things. It turns out that I have a Glastron also (had a couple of them). Mine is not as cool as Marks, its just an 18 I/O. I live on a 5 mile long lake and use it for ‘pleasure boating’. I will admit that I have measured the engine compartment and picked up the outdrive technical drawings to see what it would take to put a 3 liter 944 engine it in….it would work out just fine! It does 45 on the stock Volvo engine (120hp) so either a nice 3.0 NA or a 2.5 turbo would get it up to 60 without much effort. The turbo plumbing would make it a bunch more complicated - for those that aren’t familiar with boats the exhaust manifolds are cooled by introducing water into the manifolds. I don’t really care for loud through hull exhausts – stealth and a nice swim platform are more important!
The other thing that makes this more interesting is that Electromotive makes a standalone ECU just for marine use…..

BTW – I am curious about the need for quick spool on a boat – the only reason I can come up with is towing a skier – and a Carlson is not really a ski boat! Even if you wanted to pull a skier the spool up on a turbo in a boat would be a lot less of an issue than in a car.
You didn’t mention the base engine you would be turbo charging - I can’t imagine you are thinking of putting a 4cyliner it you r boat, if you are thinking of turbo charging the existing engine then twin turbos are the way to go on a V8 – just for ease of plumbing. You do want to avoid a large turbo as it would not respond well at RPM range when you are not on plane, Vitesse stage 2’s would be too big (and you would be way over your 400-450hp goal!) Go for something a lot smaller, it would still be easy to get over 500hp on a V8.
Old 09-01-2012, 03:49 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

No Chris. He clearly wasn't talking about his 928, or he would have siad BARGE, not boat.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:47 PM
MarkRobinson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Not trying to hijack this thread, yes, the boat will be getting a clean 951 engine, with the turbocharger located directly out from the head or behind the engine. I have to get the mating done first.

Why a 951?
1. never been done
2. Porsche power: why not.
3. 951 is a great underdog engine for a hotrod boat
4. It's lighter than a V8
5. my river route is about 15m round trip, the 951 could run in closed-loop operation for decent mileage (if sought)
6. I can use the 68 degree river water for cooling the coolant, intercooler, oil cooler, etc.
7. great power: my boat will do 65mph with 260hp, 290tq: imagine what a 450hp 951 engine would propel it to.

I have a 5.0 928 engine as well, it can make 380/380 on E85 which would scoot as well but much heavier than the 951 with less power. I could also twin-turbo the 928 motor as well...

So, I'll fit both motors to the motor mounts before I glass them in, this way I have both options if the 951 doesn't "float my boat".

CAn you imagine how neat the turbo whine will be coming out those exhaust pipes?

Mark
Attached Images  
Old 09-01-2012, 06:59 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

If you really want to do we will have to chat – I could see doing it in my Glastron too!
The only trick to it is the block to I/O adapter – I am thinking that it would be easiest to retain the I/O flywheel and adapt the crank to the flywheel. Then you can use the original starter from the outdrive and you can space the engine forward enough to make the bellhousing to I/O adapter. After that is just plumbing work….

BTW – a closed cooling system would be a good idea too, that will protect the alusil from any corrosion.

Originally Posted by MarkRobinson
Not trying to hijack this thread, yes, the boat will be getting a clean 951 engine, with the turbocharger located directly out from the head or behind the engine. I have to get the mating done first.

Why a 951?
1. never been done
2. Porsche power: why not.
3. 951 is a great underdog engine for a hotrod boat
4. It's lighter than a V8
5. my river route is about 15m round trip, the 951 could run in closed-loop operation for decent mileage (if sought)
6. I can use the 68 degree river water for cooling the coolant, intercooler, oil cooler, etc.
7. great power: my boat will do 65mph with 260hp, 290tq: imagine what a 450hp 951 engine would propel it to.

I have a 5.0 928 engine as well, it can make 380/380 on E85 which would scoot as well but much heavier than the 951 with less power. I could also twin-turbo the 928 motor as well...

So, I'll fit both motors to the motor mounts before I glass them in, this way I have both options if the 951 doesn't "float my boat".

CAn you imagine how neat the turbo whine will be coming out those exhaust pipes?

Mark
Old 09-01-2012, 10:36 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes the cooling style on boats is perfectly suited for forced induction. Due to the cooling water effect. Not really needed on my Bayliner. Lol

Good friend of mine turbo'd his jet ski years back.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:39 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

All the Bayliner needs is a lifetime contract with Seatow!

Quick Reply: Best Turbo For a Street Car