944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

The Slippery Slope

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 07:57 PM
LUCKY DAVE
Racer

Location: Encinitas, ca PCA National DE instructor PCA San Diego chief driving instructor
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The Slippery Slope

When I got my '89 it was bone stock, and I just used it for AX with an occasional street drive.
But....it handled like a dunken *****, practically scraping the door handles on the ground.
So I adjusted the Konis very stiff to attempt arresting the hula like dynamics (fail btw) and got a track alignment to reduce understeer.
Now I had a street car that rode stiff and darted around.
Pretty soon I wanted to go faster and deleted the torsion bars, going with JIC Cross dampers and coils, camber plates, 968 M030 bars in delrin bushings, and sourcing 17" x 9" rims and decent tires.
All of sudden the seats no longer worked even with a G-lock, so in went an Autopower race roll bar and race seats/belts/wheel/camera system/steel braided lines/Pagid blacks/cat delete.
275 Hoosiers are pretty hard on ball joints, and I got tired of rebuilding them so often so....I just got finished with installing racer's Edge arms/mono ball everything/poly bronze bushings.
I now have an absolutely non streetable multi time class championship winning car with air conditioning, stereo, a full interior and cruise control.
What next?
Old 07-16-2012, 08:35 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Strip, cage, better coilovers.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:09 AM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

What next??
Delete the cruise, stereo, and AC. Those things don't belong in a race car. ;-)
Old 07-17-2012, 12:33 PM
Skip Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went down that road. Got to the point where the car was too stiff to drive on the street but too heavy and not stiff enough to really get at it on the track. Ended up returning it to close to stock and building a dedicated racecar.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:34 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Despite my comment above I agree with Skip. Once you get past a certain point you may as well make a proper track car. You can have a dual purpose car but it's generally limiting in both fields and eventually you will wish you'd made the decision earlier.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:47 PM
odb812
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Despite my comment above I agree with Skip. Once you get past a certain point you may as well make a proper track car. You can have a dual purpose car but it's generally limiting in both fields and eventually you will wish you'd made the decision earlier.
That's very true if your driving is already up to snuff, which is definitely the case for you, Skip, and Dave. I think if you're just starting out and it's more important to learn than to be competitive, you should only change what needs to be changed when it needs to be changed. Until then, all money and efforts should go to getting out on the track/course and getting seat time. I know when I was first starting, I read threads like this and though "Well, I need to do this, that and the other to the car before I can start tracking it" when I should have just gone out as-is(with maintenance up to date, of course) and got some experience.

Sorry for the derail. Dave, you said you've won multiple class championships, right? Sounds like you don't need anything next unless you're looking for more competition.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:13 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Good point. I guess the only other thing is it's not always possible to have 2 cars so you have to deal with a dual purpose vehicle. I was very happy with my previous KW shocks regarding dealing with the road and track nature that the car served back then. So it is possible to get a pretty good solution for this situation. It will still be a compromise but serviceable if a full track car is not possible.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:44 AM
951Saga
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by odb812
I think if you're just starting out and it's more important to learn than to be competitive, you should only change what needs to be changed when it needs to be changed. Until then, all money and efforts should go to getting out on the track/course and getting seat time. I know when I was first starting, I read threads like this and though "Well, I need to do this, that and the other to the car before I can start tracking it" when I should have just gone out as-is(with maintenance up to date, of course) and got some experience.
Completely agree!

After my very first DE at one of the 944 Fests in my stock 951 I quickly realized how clueless I was about running at speed on track. Instead of adding performance parts to the car I saved for the Mid-Ohio two day school which turned into the full three day course. The instruction and track time you receive at these schools would be difficult to equal over numerous weekend DE events. I will be back for more Mid-O class time though now the car will slowly start down the slope.

Dave, you may be at the end of the slope with this car.

Quick Reply: The Slippery Slope