944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

CA Smog Success!

Old 01-12-2019, 04:16 PM
PEvans
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Well I spoke too soon. I was all set to get a new DEC or Tom's (generously offered, thanks!), but I passed again with my used OEM cat.

Here are the results from the first test, above:

Tom M suggested vacuum leaks, weak ignition parts, or bad O2 sensor in that order. It turned out there were some vacuum leaks, and I had the spark plugs and ignition wires replaced. Here are the results of the final test:

Note the change in the HC emissions.

So Tom is again the smog check whisperer.

Old 01-12-2019, 06:15 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 490 Posts

good numbers, but i think next time around you might need to get a cat.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:32 PM
PEvans
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
good numbers, but i think next time around you might need to get a cat.
You would think, and I expect so as well. However the last three tests on this cat (over 6 years) have all had 15mph NOx over 650 ppm (but still passing). so it isn't really changing.

Old 06-08-2020, 05:33 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Well I just discovered some bad news. DEC is no longer stocking these catalytic converters. I couldn't find one from any of the normal Amazon/Ebay sellers, so called DEC directly this morning. They said they can still make one "upon request" but the list price --are you sitting down-- is $3,495. He quickly added that the street price would be closer to $1,000 if I could find an existing vendor to order one for me, but I have no idea how I'd get a existing vendor to order one, or how long it would take, and I can't help but think the "upon request" pricing is a polite was of saying "please don't request."

Mulling options now, but am inclined to get a CARB legal universal cat and weld it into one of my old DEC pipes... Anyone know of any other CARB-legal direct fit cats like the DEC?
The following users liked this post:
Crazy Eddie (06-08-2020)
Old 06-09-2020, 12:19 AM
Jim O.
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Magnaflow has a couple of CARB legal universal cats listed in their catalog for Porsche 944s...don’t know who has a direct fit bolt-in cat anymore...
Old 06-10-2020, 04:35 AM
Chapman951
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

I’m not aware of any direct fit options.

Believe I used a MagnaFlow catalytic converter to pass California smog last year. Purchased off eBay.

Only need to pass California smog 1 time up here in Humboldt County so I can’t comment on longevity.
Old 06-10-2020, 12:15 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Chapman951
I’m not aware of any direct fit options.

Believe I used a MagnaFlow catalytic converter to pass California smog last year. Purchased off eBay.

Only need to pass California smog 1 time up here in Humboldt County so I can’t comment on longevity.
I need to buy some real estate there 😉
Old 06-11-2020, 01:52 AM
Chapman951
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
I need to buy some real estate there 😉
haha. Might be some good deals coming up.
Old 06-13-2020, 02:49 PM
PEvans
Rennlist Member

Well that all sucks. If anyone sees any positive developments let us know!
Old 06-14-2020, 05:17 PM
dme
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Here in Texas, after the 25th year of manufacture, it is safety inspection only. No more smog test. General highway speeds of 75 with 80 and 85 MPH in certain areas.
Old 06-15-2020, 05:19 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 490 Posts

Got my "Antique" plate today so the 944 will never smog again...
Old 06-15-2020, 09:43 PM
Nowanker
Burning Brakes

Location: Formerly the DPRK, now seeking political asylum in Oregon
Received 357 Likes on 234 Posts

Living in rural Oregon now, just outside Medford.
No *&^%! ing smog.
Medford proper has only OBDII smog test, plug in only.
If it's a hassle to go to the smog station, you can rent the tool and do it yourself!
Gosh, I miss California....
Old 06-15-2020, 10:01 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowanker

Living in rural Oregon now, just outside Medford.
No *&^%! ing smog.
Medford proper has only OBDII smog test, plug in only.
If it's a hassle to go to the smog station, you can rent the tool and do it yourself!
Gosh, I miss California....
rub it in 🙄
Old 06-22-2020, 03:41 AM
Dwizle
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Recently picked up a 88 turbo thing smokes at idle at first I thought it needed a turbo rebuild. So ordered rebuild kit started taking car apart pulled intake inside of intake coked with oil so a ha I was right the turbo did need a rebuild pulled the J-boot off the front of turbo n the impeller wheel is coated in oil got me thinking it's not the turbo it's the AOS, After doing some research I found the porsche changed the AOS plumbing in the 89 n newer cars they added a AIR CONTROL VALVE to the AOS p/n 94410732400 and a different hose to the top of the AOS tube my plan is to retro fit the air control valve to my 88 clean n flush the whole intake track from the turbo to the valves also rebuild the turbo since A. I bought the kit n B. I snapped to bolts off the hotside so the turbo has to come out lol. N hope the Cat hasn't been killed but all that oil going through it.
and going fwd just before I smog it pull the intake n clean any oil residue out as close going to get the smog check as possible
Old 06-22-2020, 12:51 PM
thom4782
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dwizle
Recently picked up a 88 turbo thing smokes at idle at first I thought it needed a turbo rebuild. So ordered rebuild kit started taking car apart pulled intake inside of intake coked with oil so a ha I was right the turbo did need a rebuild pulled the J-boot off the front of turbo n the impeller wheel is coated in oil got me thinking it's not the turbo it's the AOS, After doing some research I found the porsche changed the AOS plumbing in the 89 n newer cars they added a AIR CONTROL VALVE to the AOS p/n 94410732400 and a different hose to the top of the AOS tube my plan is to retro fit the air control valve to my 88 clean n flush the whole intake track from the turbo to the valves also rebuild the turbo since A. I bought the kit n B. I snapped to bolts off the hotside so the turbo has to come out lol. N hope the Cat hasn't been killed but all that oil going through it.
and going fwd just before I smog it pull the intake n clean any oil residue out as close going to get the smog check as possible
Can one retrofit the air control value to an 87 turbo. If so, do you happen to know if one need to buy an different AOS hose in addition to the valve? Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CA Smog Success!