Notices

CA Smog Success!

Old 01-12-2019, 04:16 PM
PEvans
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well I spoke too soon. I was all set to get a new DEC or Tom's (generously offered, thanks!), but I passed again with my used OEM cat.

Here are the results from the first test, above:

Tom M suggested vacuum leaks, weak ignition parts, or bad O2 sensor in that order. It turned out there were some vacuum leaks, and I had the spark plugs and ignition wires replaced. Here are the results of the final test:

Note the change in the HC emissions.

So Tom is again the smog check whisperer.

Old 01-12-2019, 06:15 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

good numbers, but i think next time around you might need to get a cat.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:31 PM
Amalgamated Tom

Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Congrats and glad it worked! I never noticed that they actually have stricter limits for the earlier cars, like my ‘86, on 5 out of the 6 limits! Same county and test place too. The only one stricter on your later car is the 15mph NOx limit. I’d say they are giving the later cars a bit more room on CO and HC in order to get the NOx down, but on the 25mph test, all three limits are easier on the later model years. I never paid much attention to the other limits since the NOx is always the challenge, and can’t think of any logical reason they relaxed all limits at 25mph from ‘86 to ‘89. Weird.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:32 PM
PEvans
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by V2Rocket View Post
good numbers, but i think next time around you might need to get a cat.
You would think, and I expect so as well. However the last three tests on this cat (over 6 years) have all had 15mph NOx over 650 ppm (but still passing). so it isn't really changing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CA Smog Success!

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: