Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Help needed:Problem bleeding slave cyl;

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 06:02 PM
DrZ1
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Help needed:Problem bleeding slave cyl;

I have tried both the Motive power bleeder and Mightyvac vaccum bleeder and get nothing out the slave.

I loosended the fitting of the line coming from the master and it would drip. I pulled out the bleeding plug to make sure not plugged. It was not and still nothing dripped out.

I am guessing it must be frozen or bad. I will pull starter to see.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks
Steve
Old 06-23-2012, 06:35 PM
951Saga
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When using the Power bleeder we had to fill the reservoir to the top then open the slave bleed screw. Once the master and slave were without air we bleed the brakes to draw the fluid down to max.

Looks like there is a smaller partition in the reservoir for the clutch fluid supply, which is difficult to fill without having fluid up at the rim.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:21 PM
DrZ1
Rennlist Member

Probably dumb question, but does it matter if the resiviour cap is on or off?
Old 06-23-2012, 08:28 PM
lee101315
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heres a quicker way, ive never tried it with a power bleeder though.

Fill the reservoir up. Adjust the clutch threaded rod on the pedal to a turn or two before it pops off. Leave the pedal sunken on the floor, and open the bleeder screw for a few mins or until fluid comes out.

Next, take a prybar, stick it in the bellhousing, and push the clutch fork against the slave cylinder until it wont go any more. Close the bleeder before releasing the prybar.

Have someone pump the clutch, but when you open the bleeder, make sure you pry the clutch fork all the way into the slave cylinder before closing the bleeder screw. If you dont do it that way, you'll be pumping the clutch all day.

Dont forget to adjust the free play to 1/4" - 1/2"

Last edited by lee101315; 06-23-2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:08 PM
951Saga
Burning Brakes

Default PB in place of reservoir cap

We removed the filter cup from the reservoir, filled with fluid, attached and pressurized the Power Bleeder making sure the supply hose was filled with fluid then opened the valve until no air came through while pumping the peddle a few times.

Lee’s process looks good if you have a helper…
Old 06-23-2012, 10:03 PM
DrZ1
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the suggestions, but alas i am alone.

I am not sure what was going on with the slave on the car, but it would not bleed. I loosened the fitting above and it drained so I pulled it and replaced it with one I had laying around. Although not sure where it came from.

I primed it some, but not fully before installing. Again I ppresurized the motive and and this time it bleed. ALthough, after a few bleeds with air coming out, still no pedal. I relaized that the resivour compartment for the clutch was not able to get the air out and I was just getting air back into the system. I jacked the passenger rear high and it seemed to help.

Anyone know how to get all the air out of the resiviour? I am about out of fluid, so it might have to wait.

I must still have air somewhere, although not sure where. The pedal still snaps to the floor and stays.

I was able to depress the slave through the access in front, but it must not have air any longer since it will not compress easily any more. I also tried to open the connection behind the ref sensor. while under pressure, since it seemed to be the high point. But no air only fluid came out.

Help please.

Last edited by DrZ1; 06-23-2012 at 11:12 PM.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:39 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Alternative method:

- Siphon some fluid out of the reservoir

- Get a grease can that you will never use for grease again, fill with brake fluid.

- Attach to slave bleeder nipple, open bleeder, pump fluid (if you have a second person have them watch for the bubbles to stop; when alone I'll empty 3/4 of the can, don't run it dry as you'll just add more air to the system), close bleeder.

- Test clutch, if firm then top off your reservoir and finish.

If you don't want to do that try getting the front end of the car up really high. The clutch line runs up high in the engine bay by the firewall, this can lead to air getting trapped in that section of line.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:59 AM
DrZ1
Rennlist Member

Super Idea Scott, esp since I am out of extra fluid. I will need to order more Motul Mon as I am very limited on supplies where I live.

With all my newly aquire gadets I should be fine . I will use the mity vac to sipon out some fluid, then fill the Motive with as much as I can. The hose for the Motive has a two piece fitting in the middle. I will check to see if I can get what I need from the local AP store to reduce down and fit a hose barb to attach hose to the bleeder screw. Then I will pressure up and crack the screw for a couple sec and check the pedal.

BTW anyone know how the rubber boot near the shaft of the slave should look? The one I took out had the boot extended outside along the shaft. The one I installed appeared flat. I am wondering if the boot was reversed or just extends once full of fluid?

Thanks
Steve
Old 06-24-2012, 09:55 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Just to make sure... you've pumping your motive up to 15 psi? And you've got a secure connection on the reservoir cap? If you open a brake bleeder, the fluid comes gushing out? Should do the same for the clutch system.

If the clutch pedal's working, then fluid is transferring between the master and the slave... If it doesn't work with the Motive bleeeder, then my guess is on the little blue fabric-covered hose that goes from the reservoir to the master.

p.s. the motive doesn't connect to the bleeder, it connects to the reservoir. It pressurizes the reservoir - and then that air pressure pushes the brake fluid out through a bleeder.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:46 AM
DrZ1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Van
Just to make sure... you've pumping your motive up to 15 psi? And you've got a secure connection on the reservoir cap? If you open a brake bleeder, the fluid comes gushing out? Should do the same for the clutch system.

Yes, it is doing this, but I am picking up air from the clutch part of the resiviour, having trouble getting the air out. I noticed this too late, and dont have enough new fluid to try and work it out.

If the clutch pedal's working, then fluid is transferring between the master and the slave... If it doesn't work with the Motive bleeeder, then my guess is on the little blue fabric-covered hose that goes from the reservoir to the master.

p.s. the motive doesn't connect to the bleeder, it connects to the reservoir. It pressurizes the reservoir - and then that air pressure pushes the brake fluid out through a bleeder.
I was using it at the reservoir, I fiqure I will try from bottom with a made connector and push the fluid up and try to eliminate air from system. My guess in the reservoir

Thanks
Old 06-24-2012, 11:51 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

If you push fluid up from the slave, you'll contaminate all the fluid in your reservoir...

I think the thing to do is to get more fluid, and do it right.

p.s. sometimes it helps to have the rear of the car a few inches higher than the front... So the bleeder on the slave is higher than the front of the slave.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:56 PM
968 GUY
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on the hose between the master and res.
I also had a hard time with getting pressure to the slave cyl. Just had to keep at it and I finally got it.
BTW, I did not know or think about keeping the rear higher. I was in an apartment parking lot in Bremerton,Wa. in winter, by myself, and I did try the reverse bleeding method with the oil can. PITA!!!
Old 06-24-2012, 06:00 PM
chris951
Rennlist Member

Get the back of the car as high as possible, it helps
Old 06-24-2012, 08:18 PM
DrZ1
Rennlist Member

Thanks,

I tried to vaccum bleed one more time, I was getting bubbles but no pedal improvement. I will order some more fluid on Monday and try to use the Motive again, when i get a replacement since it was not holding pressure.

I did have the passenger rear lifter, and seemed to keep the fluid level Ok for the clutch, though kind of hard to tell.

Anyone Know if there are diff reservoir's? A friend opened the top on a junk one that was from a 86 manual, and there was a small square window that would allow fluid to move easily from the fill area to the clutch area. Although I could not feel it on mine, nor could he on his.

Steve
Old 06-28-2012, 05:21 PM
DrZ1
Rennlist Member

Tried this AM before leaving out of town still nothing. I used a new quart in the motive. Had the PR highest and was getting no bubbles Just a solid stream. Used approx half quart. Possibly something from the install or a bad master or slave. Will need to get to my mechanic I guess.

Quick Reply: Help needed:Problem bleeding slave cyl;