Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Best MAF for DD/$$/PP

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 06:51 PM
Wald944
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best MAF for DD/$$/PP

I'm asking the age old question of which MAF kit offers the best value for cost.

More specifically for a Daily Driver with occasional track driving. Let's face it, everyone ends up turning their car into a track car.

The other piece of the puzzle is which manufacturer provides Plug&Play performance in their kit for a reasonable cost.

Certainly the most popular choices are Rogue, Vitesse, and Lindsey Racing.

Rogue M-Tune $1100
-MAF Intake to replace stock AFM
-Memory Board with preset tuning

Vitesse $1250
-Memory Board (preset tuning?); Switch maps
-Chip with tuning setup $345-895
-Piggyback $650

Lindsey Racing $892
-Preset tuning profiles to be loaded into MAF Meter and piggyback into DME?

Appreciate everyone's input!

I'm currently running the K26/8 turbo, Tial 35 WG, and 3" SFR exhaust.
I need a new exhaust manifold or header as I am losing pressure to a crack near one of the head to flange welds.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:05 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

The header can be welded up, while they are at it have them weld up all the stress points. My buddy (the welder) removed the heat shields so he could get to everything. Rather than trying to tack them back on I just had the headers coated and installed as such.

As far as your primary question:

Originally Posted by Wald944
I'm asking the age old question of which MAF kit offers the best value for cost.

More specifically for a Daily Driver with occasional track driving. Let's face it, everyone ends up turning their car into a track car.

The other piece of the puzzle is which manufacturer provides Plug&Play performance in their kit for a reasonable cost.

Certainly the most popular choices are Rogue, Vitesse, and Lindsey Racing.

Rogue M-Tune $1100
-Memory Board with preset tuning

Vitesse $1250
-Memory Board (preset tuning?); Switch maps
-Chip with tuning setup $345-895
-Piggyback $650

Lindsey Racing $892
-Preset tuning profiles to be loaded into MAF Meter and piggyback into DME?

Appreciate everyone's input!

I'm currently running the K26/8 turbo, Tial 35 WG, and 3" SFR exhaust.
I need a new exhaust manifold or header as I am losing pressure to a crack near one of the head to flange welds.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:07 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

pics of the finished stock header:
Attached Images   
Old 06-13-2012, 07:24 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a Vitesse MAF package (with a few other goodies) aswell as a set of SFR stage 1 headers for sale. Id be willing to work out a package deal if your interested in both, Shoot me a PM if interested.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:40 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

I wouldn't really consider the Lindsey Quad-M (or whatever they call it) and it's worth noting that Lindsey is now a distributor for the Rogue M-Tune. Quad-M isn't even in the same league as Rogue or Vitesse.

Plan on injectors. Stockers run out of flow pretty quickly above stock power levels - just a good safety measure. Do it.

They can both handle multiple maps, and IIRC they both include 2 maps with the initial purchase.

You only need the piggyback setup with the Vitesse system if you want to fine-tune and/or make your own maps. Really the base maps are generally pretty darned close. Note that if you DO want this, Rogue is also getting ready to release a complete user-tuning and logging system. I don't know about his pricing yet but the functionality is fantastic. I've played with it over the last 2 months and it's very slick.

As for which one is better... you will find people passionate about both, and threads that compare them usually wind up getting ugly. My advice to you would be to call and talk to both vendors. Compare what they're offering, how they think it'll work for your intended use, their actual out-the-door pricing (including shipping and all required additional bits and pieces not listed on their website like wiring harness adapters, etc.), listen for and beware of high pressure or "it's the last one!" sales pitches, and then decide.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:33 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

If you are on a budget -- I am considering moving from my LR setup to a M-Tune
but my car is set to be 90% track. I also have the 55# injectors to go with it.

PM me.

Mike
Old 06-14-2012, 12:36 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Doesn't the search function work properly? i swear i've seen a new "which maf is better" thread at least twice a week.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:42 AM
Copilot
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Oh come on, it's not THAT bad. I'm not going to go out there and say it's GREAT, and it doesn't compare to Vitesse or Rogue... but for the price? It's not bad! I'd say the improvement I saw was worth about the $800 or so I spent on it (bought it before I discovered you could get them way cheaper used on RL, haha).
Old 06-14-2012, 01:41 AM
bw993
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I have tried all three MAF systems (Vitesse, M-Tune, LR QUAD) on the same car over a period of 24 months and the one that performed best on my car was the M-Tune with the matched high impedance injectors. M-Tune had the best overall performance and throttle response, but does have idle stability issues. Vitesse also has a good product, which is very stable and reliable, but lacks the throttle response of the M-Tune. The QUAD is a hi-tech version of basic MAF with a built in piggy back based on voltage curve fitting (not a true MAF algorithm).

Just my experience. These three MAF are all better products than the old systems (i.e. Autoauthority - also previous owned).
Old 06-14-2012, 02:02 AM
Wald944
Intermediate

Sorry you had to read again Paulyy. Although I did perform a search. I've read many "opinions" on each manufacturer. I felt my question was more pointed at daily driving and true plug&play performance.

M-Tune clearly defines the product and the plug&play usage for 3 different kits.
Vitesse offers up kits, chips, MAFs, DMEs, piggyback making it less clear of whether the MAF is ready to go with a selectable tune or if I need to purchase multiple items. The packaged kits would suggest that more NEEDS to be purchased before it works.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:15 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

The Vitesse MAF 'kit' works with whatever turbo you want to run it with..basically install and go. The only things you will need to get are a 3-bar FPR and let John @ Vitesse know which injectors you want to run (72lb is probably the most popular). The piggyback is only needed if you want to dial in the tune 100% (as opposed to 95% out of the box).

The chips priced from $345-895 are only if you plan to retain the AFM.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:53 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

The Vitesse MAF kit comes with everything you need. It is mapped to work with your larger size injectors and a 3bar FPR, which are required.

The chipboard (included in the kit) is used instead of the EPROM chip. The chipboard works on both 24-pin and 28-pin DMEs, so no DME modifications (24 to 28) is needed.
The V-MAF+ kit (which is the std MAF kit for the 951) comes with 6 images on the chipboard (to handle various fuel octane 91, 93, race fuel and E85). A image is the equivalent of the content of a chip. You just don't carry 6 chips with you, as their content is flashed on the chipboard.

The PiggyBack is optional. It allows you to fine tune, data log and to set your own limits (Rev-limit, overboost limit, engine temp limit,..). The Piggyback communicates with the DME to handle the pre-set limits.
The limits can also be set by interfacing to third party systems such as the Zeitronix Wideband system, or the new AEM Safe Gauge (or whatever they call it).
If you do not have a PiggyBack or a third party system, the software still has a preset rev-limit. We provide a mechanical pressure switch so you can set your own overboost value.

If you plan to purchase used, or getting feedback, make sure you know exactly which MAF kit you are getting/discussing. The Vitesse MAF kit has been in the field for 8+ years, and it has changed. The Original did not incorporate a MAP sensor. In 2007 we incorporated a MAP sensor to read actual boost and to alter the tune based on boost, at the time it was called the V-FLEX. In the past 1 - 1.5 years we introduced the V-MAF+, which is the only MAF kit available now. It's the new generation of V-FLEX software (some call it V-FLEX+). It incorporates more advanced error detection, and user warnings if the MAP sensor malfunctions.
As the product improved, so did the performance and response. So you have the original MAF kit, the V-FLEX kit and now the V-MAF+. It is very important to know which product you are getting and when products are compared.

Good luck!

Originally Posted by Wald944
Vitesse offers up kits, chips, MAFs, DMEs, piggyback making it less clear of whether the MAF is ready to go with a selectable tune or if I need to purchase multiple items. The packaged kits would suggest that more NEEDS to be purchased before it works.

Last edited by fast951; 06-14-2012 at 09:13 AM.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:09 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by robstah
The Quad-M (Abaco DBX) is garbage. Stay away.
That's not fair. I know the guy who developed and patented the technology, so I know some of the details. Even though they are sold as part of a competing product, it's not fair to call the DBX garbage!

In the early days there were some issues with some of the sensors (I think you are aware of this from the BMW guys?). I assume this is the reason you have a negative opinion?
The reliability issue was resolved a few years ago. The elements (4 of them in the DBX or QUAD) were redesigned and/or a different source was used. Reliability improved greatly.

The DBX has a intended purpose. The Abaco DBX can emulate various MAF curves, even a AFM curve to be compatible with the stock DME. Basically it's a MAF with a built-in signal massager. As a MAF sensor, it works fine.

However on the 951, you need True MAF software for the system to work properly, which is a totally different story.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:37 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by bw993
I have tried all three MAF systems (Vitesse, M-Tune, LR QUAD) on the same car over a period of 24 months and the one that performed best on my car was the M-Tune with the matched high impedance injectors. M-Tune had the best overall performance and throttle response, but does have idle stability issues. Vitesse also has a good product, which is very stable and reliable, but lacks the throttle response of the M-Tune. The QUAD is a hi-tech version of basic MAF with a built in piggy back based on voltage curve fitting (not a true MAF algorithm).

Just my experience. These three MAF are all better products than the old systems (i.e. Autoauthority - also previous owned).
Which version of the Vitesse MAF were you using? Original MAF without a MAP sensor or V-MAF+ with the MAP sensor? Which image were you using?
Old 06-14-2012, 10:02 AM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

Is the Magnaflow better than the Borla?

Quick Reply: Best MAF for DD/$$/PP