Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 12:49 PM
VanhireBoys
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default KLR & DME Guru Required

Hi Guys
I really really need some help here...
My 87 944 Turbo is misbehaving big time. I posted in an earler thread as I was convinced it was an ignition problem - The car pops and bangs when you throttle it hard.

To cut a long story short we have checked or changed absolutely everthing bar the DME and KLR

My questions are:
The trottle position sensor variable pot feeds into the KLR and the switch goes to the DME. Is throttle position information shared between the KLR and DME ?
We disconnected the TPS under the bonnet and the car ran the same. The TPS checked out fine as well

We ran the car without the KLR by jumpering out the ignition terminals and it was the same

We could not get any flash codes from the DME - Is this a related or separate issue ?

What are the symtoms of a KLR that is down ?

We had an issue last summer where if the lambda probe was connected up the car leaned off too much.. we ende up with the car in open loop control - Was this the start of trouble ?

I am beside myself at this stage - We have tested everything outside the DME/KLR and it all checks out.. I am getting a KLR and DME both just to be sure but have we missed sommit

Any help on this would greatly be appreciated Cheers Lads
Old 05-30-2012, 02:39 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 63 Posts

I don't have the answers to your questions... but I do know this place once did a good job repairing a DME for me: http://www.ecudoctors.com/
Old 05-30-2012, 09:41 PM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the ultimate test is to verify that the DME and KLR are linked. To do that, see page 9 of the DME/KLR test plan. If you say you have tested everything,then things there will look familiar - threre's a lot of stuff to test for though.

Here's a link to download...Bruce
Old 05-30-2012, 10:52 PM
Dave W.
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Have you done a pressurized boost leak test? Sorry if that was covered already, I didn't catch your other thread.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:34 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VanhireBoys

My questions are:
The trottle position sensor variable pot feeds into the KLR and the switch goes to the DME. Is throttle position information shared between the KLR and DME ?
Yes, the KLR sends a signal to the DME called "full load pulse"when the throttle is over 65 degrees. See page 9 in the DME/KLR test plan.

We could not get any flash codes from the DME - Is this a related or separate issue ?
Code don't tell a lot.

What are the symtoms of a KLR that is down ?
Bad timing, limp mode, no boost etc. Just swap it out and see if that helps.

We had an issue last summer where if the lambda probe was connected up the car leaned off too much.. we ende up with the car in open loop control - Was this the start of trouble ?
Don't think so

I am beside myself at this stage - We have tested everything outside the DME/KLR and it all checks out.. I am getting a KLR and DME both just to be sure but have we missed sommit

You are going down a good path by swapping them out to see if one of them is the problem.

Any help on this would greatly be appreciated Cheers Lads
Answer are in the questions
Old 05-31-2012, 02:35 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

don't count out the s/r sensors and harness. I just found out tonight that I have a bad harness due to shorts. It only occurred under higher boost. We swapped out every part of the electronics ie; DME,KLR,coil..I had previously swapped wires, s/r sensors. and unhooked my MSD. It wasn't the best night for me, but at least we tracked it down due to it finally causing a no-start condition.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:00 AM
VanhireBoys
Instructor

Thanks a million Brian and guys...

Really helped me to understand what I am looking at.

We scoped all the sensors, The crank sensor and rpm sensor showed up to be running as expected . amplitude and frequency were spot on. Knock sensor was checked this way as well by striking the engine with an 1 1/4 spanner while on tickover. Not exactly a recognised way of testing but very effective !

I am now waiting on the Postie to bring me a DME from the UK and a KLR from the US. Both are tested and working.

This will deffo eliminate the 2 control units and it will either cure her or we go looking for another "elephant in the room". I dont want to go jumping in now until we see what happens with teh ECU's

I'll report back in a few days when I get the units and let yous know what the outcome is... We are gradually narrowing down our list of likely suspects !

Thansk again Lads - Top Men...!
Old 06-09-2012, 03:27 AM
VanhireBoys
Instructor

Well Guys
Back up and running well.. First unit to come was the DME. We plugged it in and away she went - running sweet... !

Thinking back now we had 3 very inportant pointers

1. Flash Codes from DME were not able to be read
2. Car still had the same issue without the KLR in place (ignition bridged)
3. For no apparent reason the car failed to boost - an ignition reset usually cleared this... I could never get to the bottom of this issue nor could I replicate it... This could happen at any stage without warning.. This could be a KLR related issue ...?

Thanks again lads for your help - The weather is sweet now and I am off to enjoy.

Quick Reply: KLR & DME Guru Required