Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Rogue Tuning: DME tuning, logging, and diagnostics

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 09:13 AM
White_951
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome work Josh!!! Can't wait to try this....when I saw Blown's write up last night I knew you two had something cookin'....
Old 05-27-2012, 10:20 AM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Way to go Joshua! Now I REALLY need to get my motor spinning again
Old 05-27-2012, 10:56 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
Sure, how about experiencing the software first-hand?

You will need TunerPro:

Next, we need to load the .bin file:

Finally, we load the datalogging file:
Thanks, that is the detail I was looking for.

I have the software in my head but how does it interface to the DME...Ostrich??

Also, if you are setting maps,AFR, timing etc you need to store the data somewhere. So, there must be another unit that retains this data? I am guessing you can't reprogram the memory chip in the DME without removing it.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:32 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Brian, since I'll answer a couple questions.

The logger uses a little logging box as of right now that is wired in the the harness and outputs USB. I believe Josh is having a board done that integrates the system directly inside the DME.

As of now you would have to use the ostrich for tuning, however, Josh can also integrate that into the DME with another USB.

I don't want to give away too many of his secrets, but I'm sure I can tell you the main MAF software is no longer on the EPROM chip that has been used in the past.

I will also comment on how nice it is. Just like Josh mentioned, almost immediately we found that my harness was shorted at the DME temp sensor. The tuning part is just so nice as well. It's very much like Having an easy solution to a full engine management. It is also (other than the MAF code) open source so everyone can help each other to make more power and to diagnose. This is what I respect so much about how Josh works. From what I hear it will be as affordable as possible.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:49 AM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Awesome work Josh, the Innovate LMA-3 is now off my "to buy" list as this does everything that would do and more!

Is this something that will now be included in the standard M-Tune or an option?
Old 05-27-2012, 12:40 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Sid.
Old 05-27-2012, 01:45 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Very, very cool Joshua. Your (and Sid's!) commitment to the 951 community and your willingness to share your knowledge and expertise is perhaps too easy to take for granted but is very much appreciated by all of us.

And, being the lucky bastard that I am, you and Sid are right here in my backyard

Cars & Coffee Saturday gents?
Old 05-27-2012, 02:01 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

I can see a road trip to Colorado in my near future
Old 05-27-2012, 02:19 PM
Dave W.
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow! Great work, Josh. Thanks for sharing the files. I've been using TunerPro on my cars for several years and this is a great way to raise the bar for the 951. You just brought 951 tuning into the modern age while keeping it affordable for the average owner.
Old 05-27-2012, 06:24 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Josh,

Good point about the maf voltage comparisons. After researching the cfm to hp numbers for my maf v transfer function it seems in the top fuel race world they rely on those numbers and are pretty accurate for hp because they can't usually dyno 5k hp engines. Lol

Maybe we should start a maf v thread for hp ratings and save all our money and hassle of going to the dyno. Especially with all the discrepancies with dyno calcs and mustang vs dyno jet etc etc. 3.8v is 3.8v no matter what. Lol
Old 05-27-2012, 07:22 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Originally Posted by White_951
Awesome work Josh!!! Can't wait to try this....when I saw Blown's write up last night I knew you two had something cookin'....
Ha - we are always cookin' something

Originally Posted by zerMATT951
Way to go Joshua! Now I REALLY need to get my motor spinning again
Agreed! If your looking for a motor, take a look at Sid's stroker thread - after riding it in, it makes my 2.5L @20psi feel gutless.

Originally Posted by Brian Broderick
Thanks, that is the detail I was looking for.

I have the software in my head but how does it interface to the DME...Ostrich??

Also, if you are setting maps,AFR, timing etc you need to store the data somewhere. So, there must be another unit that retains this data? I am guessing you can't reprogram the memory chip in the DME without removing it.
Brian, Sid answered most of this. But yes, currently we will use an E/EPROM emulator to store & update the mappings.

Originally Posted by gregeast
Very, very cool Joshua. Your (and Sid's!) commitment to the 951 community and your willingness to share your knowledge and expertise is perhaps too easy to take for granted but is very much appreciated by all of us.

And, being the lucky bastard that I am, you and Sid are right here in my backyard

Cars & Coffee Saturday gents?
Thanks Greg! Unfortunately, no I will be here for Cars & Coffee - I'm going to be out of the state (my Father is having heart surgery).
Old 05-27-2012, 07:26 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Originally Posted by gruhsy
I can see a road trip to Colorado in my near future

Originally Posted by Dave W.
Wow! Great work, Josh. Thanks for sharing the files. I've been using TunerPro on my cars for several years and this is a great way to raise the bar for the 951. You just brought 951 tuning into the modern age while keeping it affordable for the average owner.
Thanks Dave! Yep, bringing the 951 to current levels of automotive tuning was a goal for me. These cars are just so much fun, with proper EMS software they are an absolute joy.

Originally Posted by toddk911
Josh,

Good point about the maf voltage comparisons. After researching the cfm to hp numbers for my maf v transfer function it seems in the top fuel race world they rely on those numbers and are pretty accurate for hp because they can't usually dyno 5k hp engines. Lol

Maybe we should start a maf v thread for hp ratings and save all our money and hassle of going to the dyno. Especially with all the discrepancies with dyno calcs and mustang vs dyno jet etc etc. 3.8v is 3.8v no matter what. Lol
Yep, we have been using MAF voltage to quantify changes for a while now. DSM guys have been using for ages (DSMLink). It is a great way to immediately see what effect changes in your setup have!
Old 05-27-2012, 08:14 PM
Darud35
Advanced

Seriously great work Joshua! I'm really impressed with your capabilities. Will this work with my "C-Tune" as well?
Old 05-27-2012, 08:22 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Originally Posted by Darud35
Seriously great work Joshua! I'm really impressed with your capabilities. Will this work with my "C-Tune" as well?
Thanks! For the initial release, the M-Tune is the only supported platform. I will look into support of the A & C-Tune setups...

I also fixed the DME interface package link. Some were having trouble unzipping the package.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:24 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Joshua, my best wish to you father and I hope he has a clean procedure and a speedy recovery.

Quick Reply: Rogue Tuning: DME tuning, logging, and diagnostics