Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum-72/)
-   -   Rogue Tuning: DME tuning, logging, and diagnostics (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/698758-rogue-tuning-dme-tuning-logging-and-diagnostics.html)

Rogue_Ant 05-27-2012 02:16 AM

Rogue Tuning: DME tuning, logging, and diagnostics

As some of you may know, or suspected, I have been working on a few things...

I am just about ready to release some really fun things for the 951/944, but this is just too cool to keep quite about!

Here is our logging setup:

The beauty of this setup is its ease of use. The logging cable is native USB (no serial-2-USB converter headache), and is only two wires to wire into the DME harness! This unit reads the new serial routines in the M-Tune software, and feeds it to TunerPro on your PC.

The system logs all of the sensors available:
MAF voltage
Boost pressure/vacuum
Coolant temp
Intake Air Temp
FQS position
Idle switch
WOT switch
NBO2 sensor
Mapping selection

Additionally, if you feed the DME a 0-5 volt signal from your WBO2, it will log WBO2 AFR as well!

Furthermore, other important information is logged:
RPM
Ignition advance
Injector Pulse time
Fuel-Cut
Closed-loop

The logger will cut down diagnostic time, making it as simple as plugging in your laptop! Want to know if your TPS is working? The logger shows you in real-time. What is your coolant temp? Don't remember what FQS position your on? Easy - just pull out the laptop!

Moreover, this becomes a benchmarking tool! By measuring MAF voltage, users can compare their cars HP output. Since MAF measure actual airflow, the ability to quantify mods is immediately available! Did that camshaft upgrade actually make power? Compare pre-mod airflow voltage to post-mod airflow voltage. Does raising the boost pressure make more power? Check MAF voltage. There is even some bragging rights here, for example if my car makes ~3.35 volts peak MAF voltage, but your car makes 3.60 volts - you car is definitely making more power than mine!

The counterpart to the logging/diagnostic tool is, of course, the Tuning tool! This setup will be available for M-Tune users. With this tool, the user will have unprecedented access to the DME mapping - no more piggybacks that require a bunch of wiring and 'fooling' the DME in order to tune. No, our tool gives you direct access to the actual DME. Want to change your target AFR at 16psi and 4000rpm? Easy, with direct access, you simply pull up the fuel table, go to the cells you want to change, make the change, and upload the new info to the DME - all in real-time without turning off the car!
There is more, lots more! How about the other half of the tuning equation: ignition timing advance... Yes, our Tuning tool gives you full access to the timing maps! Want to try to bump timing during cruising loads/RPMs to gain a little bit of MPG? You now have that capability!
Do you want your car to idle exactly at 840rpm, like factory, or raise it a little bit (maybe you have an aggressive camshaft). What about the rev-limit? Fully adjustable. Or want to adjust your overboost limits? Its all there!

There is really much, much more - too much to go over every part. This setup gives the user essentially stand-alone engine management control without the hassle. As this system works with the M-Tune, it will come with the M-Tune base mapping. So, no worrying about building maps from scratch, or the car not starting, or having to dyno-tune the car just to drive it. Nope, our setup allows you to enjoy tuning with minimal effort.

So I will be posting a new page on my website with the files necessary and I invite anyone to download them.

(I will be posting more info and pictures this upcoming week)

DDP 05-27-2012 02:28 AM

Great work, Joshua. Bridging the large gap between standalone and DME software. If you're giving people a closely tuned map and this to tune, what else could they ask for? If anyone hasn't done standalone tuning themselves, you don't quite realize the gift this setup is giving you. Amazing time and frustration saver while still giving you the flexibility to modify later and adjust.

Paulyy 05-27-2012 02:37 AM

that's so cool!

How difficult would it be to incorporate an obd2 port for logging purposes?

Rogue_Ant 05-27-2012 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by DDP (Post 9563794)
Great work, Joshua. Bridging the large gap between standalone and DME software. If you're giving people a closely tuned map and this to tune, what else could they ask for? If anyone hasn't done standalone tuning themselves, you don't quite realize the gift this setup is giving you. Amazing time and frustration saver while still giving you the flexibility to modify later and adjust.

Thanks Derek! Yes, the idea was to bridge the gap between DME and stand-alone... I've been there with stand-alones, triggering issues, starting issues, timing synch issues, full VE table mapping (way before the nicer AFR auto-tune software), tip-in issues, ect. No thanks, I don't even like that type of stuff - and I don't think anyone could argue that I don't like tuning!
This setup is flexible, enjoyable to tune, and a great learning experience as well!

Originally Posted by Paulyy (Post 9563802)
that's so cool!

How difficult would it be to incorporate an obd2 port for logging purposes?

...Paulyy, it has an integrated logger... An OBD2 port would require either different (more expensive) hardware, or a re-work of the DME boards.

Paulyy 05-27-2012 02:48 AM

so to log, do you need your laptop or you dont?

Rogue_Ant 05-27-2012 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by Paulyy (Post 9563812)
so to log, do you need your laptop or you dont?

Yes, for the moment anyway.
I am working on a solution that has on-board memory, for laptop-less logging... And I was going to wait until this was completed before making any announcements - but, I think people could benefit from this now, even if it doesn't have on-board logging memory.

Zeff 05-27-2012 02:59 AM

Will the ebc stuff be available?

Rogue_Ant 05-27-2012 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by Zeff (Post 9563820)
Will the ebc stuff be available?

EBC stuff I'm still working on... I have a few more things in the work, as well ;)

Paulyy 05-27-2012 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant (Post 9563817)
Yes, for the moment anyway.
I am working on a solution that has on-board memory, for laptop-less logging... And I was going to wait until this was completed before making any announcements - but, I think people could benefit from this now, even if it doesn't have on-board logging memory.

that's the reason why i thought it would be good for an obd2 interface. Although as you said, the hardware would cost more but for an example i can just simply plug my lm-2 into it and every channel would appear on the screen, innovate sell this wireless obd2 interface that streams the date to your iPhone and you can view and record your logs on the iPhone.

Edit: but again, you've still provided us something that no one else has! and it looks so damn good to use.

Rogue_Ant 05-27-2012 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by Paulyy (Post 9563825)
that's the reason why i thought it would be good for an obd2 interface. Although as you said, the hardware would cost more but for an example i can just simply plug my lm-2 into it and every channel would appear on the screen, innovate sell this wireless obd2 interface that streams the date to your iPhone and you can view and record your logs on the iPhone.

Lol, well I suppose one could dream about iPhone logging...

But I really don't see the practicality of it, nor do I want to deal with OBD2 protocols (and unnecessary overhead)... So lets take things one-step at a time.

I just posted about near standalone tuning & logging capability - something never before available for the 951/944. In-fact, nothing before is remotely close to either the logging or tuning ability of this setup. Lets keep the focus on that.

Bri Bro 05-27-2012 03:17 AM

Isn't like the MMonitor display that really didn't take off? What I didn't like about it was that you had to have a PC connected to it to record the data. My DAS can record data and then down load it later and can record may hours of data at a time

https://rennlist.com/forums/6348206-post1.html

Eric_Oz_S2 05-27-2012 03:21 AM

Joshua,

That tuning tool sure is a good idea! :)

Eric

m73m95 05-27-2012 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by Brian Broderick (Post 9563832)
Isn't like the MMonitor display that really didn't take off?

No...

Its a standalone without the trouble of a standalone. It uses the DME and the M-tune software, and allows you to tune the car yourself, and includes data logging capability to assist you in tuning.

Rogue_Ant 05-27-2012 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by Brian Broderick (Post 9563832)
Isn't like the MMonitor display that really didn't take off?

As far as I know, the Vitesse logging/diagnostic MoMonitor offering was never actually available... or at least I have never heard of anyone having / using it besides John & TT. Regardless, that is only the part of the solution - it had/has no tuning capability.

Make no mistake - there is nothing else even remotely close to the capability of what I've presented here.

Originally Posted by Eric_Oz_S2 (Post 9563836)
Joshua,

That tuning tool sure is a good idea! :)

Eric

Thanks! I think so, it makes things so much easier and fun to tune these cars! And this is tuning the proper-way. No piggyback / interceptors, just direct access to the DME mapping and logging.

Paulyy 05-27-2012 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant (Post 9563830)
Lol, well I suppose one could dream about iPhone logging...

But I really don't see the practicality of it, nor do I want to deal with OBD2 protocols (and unnecessary overhead)... So lets take things one-step at a time.

I just posted about near standalone tuning & logging capability - something never before available for the 951/944. In-fact, nothing before is remotely close to either the logging or tuning ability of this setup. Lets keep the focus on that.

I possibly just got ahead of myself. can't wait for more info josh :thumbup: