Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Anything to look out for when buying LS1 944?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 01:40 AM
maroli
Three Wheelin'

Received 471 Likes on 271 Posts
Default Anything to look out for when buying LS1 944?

I posted this in the 944 and s2 forum but someone kindly suggested that I post here since there's more traffic. I don't believe the base car is a turbo, but here goes....

My brother is looking at purchasing a renegade conversion LS1 944. It has a rebuilt AOR transaxle and seems to be going for a very reasonable price. Is there anything in particular my brother should get inspected or be on the look out for? He doesn't have much experience with conversions, so I thought I might run it by you enlightened bunch Thanks!
Old 05-24-2012, 10:53 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 518 Likes on 348 Posts

Do you have any history on the swap? Who did it, what mods, how many miles since the swap? The Renegade stuff is pretty good, sometimes their motor mounts break, look for a leaky oil pan...

I'd just spend particular attention looking over the swap to make sure it was done properly...
Old 05-24-2012, 02:56 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would also check the engine code for an LS motor that might be a 1998 or older. They are haunted by issues.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:26 PM
Howellls2
Intermediate

Coming from someone who got burned by one of the "professionals". Check normal 944 issues. example control arms. Along with v8 conversion issues example : healthy cooling system, healthy clutch, healthy syncros in the transmission, healthy axles and a well done power brake solution.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:38 PM
acorad
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a V8 conversion about a year ago. It's really not much different from buying any car. In addition to what's been said above, mainly make sure everything works the way it should. Like all 944 owners, you should not be adverse to doing some wrenching. fwiw, mine does not have power brakes, and while that would be nice, it's pretty far down on my list of things to do.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:18 PM
Ronin-951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've heard of issues with the Firewall developing a crack after the Brake Booster upgrade, that could be a bearcat to repair with the Engine in place.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:06 PM
rlets
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Definitely check the firewall for cracks if the brakes are not boosted. If the steering is boosted find out what type of hydraulic pump is used and if there's a cooler in that system. Check for added heat shielding at the firewall around the new driver's side header. Check for an appropriate fuel pump relay in the wiring and if the stock DME relay is still used. Check the fuel system to make sure there's a tank vent and some type of purge mechanism for the charcoal canister. If it's not a turbo car to begin with, check for a brake upgrade as the stock 944 brakes are marginal for ls1 power levels. Another normal 944 issue to check is shifter loseness. Also know the emmisisions rules where your brother lives. If it's CA or some counties in other states get fussy about engine conversions.

Rich
Old 05-24-2012, 10:28 PM
maroli
Three Wheelin'

Wow, thanks a lot for the feedback guys, I appreciate it and will relay it to my brother!
Old 05-25-2012, 03:10 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Which car is it. I probably know the car. Is it Shannon's car?

TonyG
Old 05-25-2012, 03:16 AM
maroli
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TonyG
Which car is it. I probably know the car. Is it Shannon's car?

TonyG
Hi Tony, I'm not sure whose car it is. It appears to belong to 'Bob'.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...item231da15842
Old 05-25-2012, 03:19 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

As far as the conversion goes...

It's no different than a non-conversion car. The LS engine is pretty bullet-proof. So there most likely won't be any problems there.

The transmissions aren't specific to the conversion. The conversion uses a stock transmission, thus if it shifts good, it's probably OK.

I'd make sure there no vibration at around 3k in neutral (which would indicate a flywheel balance problem).

If it's got power steering... make sure none of the power steering rack high pressure lines are running through on the oil pan.

Also make sure the oil pan is not rubbing on the cross member.

Make sure the oil lines from the oil pan towards the front mounted remote oil filter aren't being cut on engine bosses, pinched in the wedge created by the engine block and the rack, or are not rubbing on the steering linkage.

I've had 2 Renegade Hybrids oil pans... and neither has ever leaked. But some may have had issues. So check for leaks around the oil pan.

Check to make sure the throttle cable operates freely and is routed properly.

That's it. But for the most part... if you use a known conversion kit... it's pretty hard to screw it up in terms of the conversion. The real issue is if the clutch works properly and the transmission shifts properly.

TonyG
Old 05-25-2012, 05:12 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,226 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by maroli

if that car checks out ok it would be a hell of a deal!
Old 05-30-2012, 04:35 PM
Spencerforhire
2nd Gear

I'm in the middle of a 944 V8 swap and I have removed the Power Brake Boost. The Problem I have is the pedal link and pin came out with the big black disk. I have the adapter plate but I can't see how the pin fits into the operating cylinder. Is there a trick to getting that out of the power booster.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:36 PM
Spencerforhire
2nd Gear

Default Pedal Link stuck in power Brake on V8 swap

I'm in the middle of a V8 swap and I have removed the Power Brake Boost. The Problem I have is the pedal link and pin came out with the big black disk. I have the adapter plate but I can't see how the pin fits into the operating cylinder. Is there a trick to getting that out of the power booster.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:08 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by maroli

Ask Lart what he thinks of that particular Ebay seller...

Quick Reply: Anything to look out for when buying LS1 944?