Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Why can't the 951 do well in autoX?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 10:15 PM
Richgreenster
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why dont you set up an auto-X event at the 944 fest? Just an Idea..
Old 05-18-2012, 12:04 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Omni, that camera angle makes me feel like a midget strapped to the floorboard in the back trying to see out the windshield. Maybe set the camera higher/forward for a better view of the road?
Old 05-18-2012, 03:44 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
This was our tightest course of the year, and the first time I successfully pulled off a 2-1 downshift (which saved my ***, I picked up a solid .75s with it). We rented the lot without seeing it in person and it turned out to be a LOT tighter than we expected.
Ha, 2-1 downshifts are a normal feature of our local Santa Barbara region PCA events. Due to the tall gearing of the 951, I am in 1st for a majority of our courses. There is simply too much turbo lag to come out of anything in 2nd. I have also driven a good customer's 993 and Lotus Elise at the events and I am often in 1st in those cars! I cringe to think of driving a 915 trans 911 in one of our events!

Thanks for sharing the videos, some of those courses looked pretty fun. Ours use TONS of cones to form a sort of go-kart track with boundaries set by cones on either side, and are very tight, it's harder to make your own line than in the more free-form course that seem to be the norm. But, it makes for a unique challenge and my near-stock '86 acquits itself well!
Old 05-18-2012, 10:14 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by 95ONE
Omni, that camera angle makes me feel like a midget strapped to the floorboard in the back trying to see out the windshield. Maybe set the camera higher/forward for a better view of the road?
Hahaha.

This year I have a 2nd camera. I'll have one cockpit mounted and one mounted on the windshield. I like having the cockpit cam so I can see the gauges, the wheel, etc. 1080p cockpit cam means I can zoom in pretty nicely on the gauges.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:18 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by black944 turbo
Jim, Your first video is how all of our auto xs are around here, they are extremely tight and no where to stretch the cars legs.
That's unfortunate. We all pretty much HATED that course. The only saving grace was that it was at a resort up in Wisconsin, a few of us made a weekend out of it. Went up the night before, got a room, had a nice dinner, a few drinks, then the autocross the next day, and a swim in the pool before heading home. If all the club courses were like that, I wouldn't go back either. Which is why I don't go to any SCCA or BMWCCA courses anymore - they're all that tight, or tighter.

We won't be going back. Lot was just too damned small.

The first one of the 2012 season is this coming Sunday - lot is HUGE. Extra bonus points is that our AX coordinator is out of town, so her husband and I are "subbing in." She's also usually the "voice of reason" when it comes to course design. She's gone... so we're planning to build a pretty wicked fast course. I'll post up the video after.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:28 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Hahaha.

This year I have a 2nd camera. I'll have one cockpit mounted and one mounted on the windshield. I like having the cockpit cam so I can see the gauges, the wheel, etc. 1080p cockpit cam means I can zoom in pretty nicely on the gauges.
I see. I have found that the windshield location isn't great either as it limits the left to right view, and it's hard to tell what the driver is or isn't doing to make the proper line towards the apex. Therefore, it's hard to critique. - This is what I've found when trying to go through my own footage.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:16 PM
lee101315
Three Wheelin'

Hahaha.

You guys have some interesting autoX setups, Ill bet the 914 guys loved the first layout.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:43 PM
Richgreenster
Burning Brakes

Here is a video of the Nationals. If your local SCCA club is part of the national event, then they will gear their track set ups towards what they run at the finals.

You guys need to get your local clubs into Auto-Xing. When it is set up right it is a down right blast.

Pro Solo is one of my favorite forms of racing. For those of you that do not know what this is: It is side by side Auto-X racing on mirrored courses. Left side vs. The Right. Then you switch..

Here is a video of a boxster that spun out.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:27 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 95ONE
I see. I have found that the windshield location isn't great either as it limits the left to right view, and it's hard to tell what the driver is or isn't doing to make the proper line towards the apex. Therefore, it's hard to critique. - This is what I've found when trying to go through my own footage.
And here's what I've got from our first round of the 2012 season (took place this past Sunday).

Old 05-22-2012, 12:15 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Jim, that looks like a blast!
Old 05-22-2012, 12:20 PM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

You guys remind me of two reasons why I don't bitter trying to be competitive at autocrosses -- the launch at the start and those painful 2-1 downshifts.

It's worth noting that most pca groups I've run with use a 'clutch saver start' where the timing light is after a kink in the start, thereby allowing you to save the clutch.

Unfortunately the autox I went to two weeks ago, while fun, was not such an event and i wound up making the conscious decision to just dog the start.

The other object of annoyance (for me at least) is the fact that I hate downshifting into first gear (yes, I do double clutch and it still makes me feel bad). These gearboxes are old enough and I'm trying to get mine to last as long as possible!

The event I went to a couple weeks ago was quite fun, despite the fact that I dogged the launch and didn't bother downshifting into first. The funny thing was that I still wound up winning my class and was only 3.5 sec off FTD! :-)
Old 05-22-2012, 12:21 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

meh tracking driving is still better
Old 05-22-2012, 12:24 PM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Oh sorry forgot to note the most impressive aspect of this feat: I was on 7y/o RE-01R's!
Old 05-22-2012, 12:38 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by reno808
meh tracking driving is still better
And also 5-6 times more expensive.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:42 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ausgeflippt951
You guys remind me of two reasons why I don't bitter trying to be competitive at autocrosses -- the launch at the start and those painful 2-1 downshifts.

It's worth noting that most pca groups I've run with use a 'clutch saver start' where the timing light is after a kink in the start, thereby allowing you to save the clutch.

Unfortunately the autox I went to two weeks ago, while fun, was not such an event and i wound up making the conscious decision to just dog the start.

The other object of annoyance (for me at least) is the fact that I hate downshifting into first gear (yes, I do double clutch and it still makes me feel bad). These gearboxes are old enough and I'm trying to get mine to last as long as possible!

The event I went to a couple weeks ago was quite fun, despite the fact that I dogged the launch and didn't bother downshifting into first. The funny thing was that I still wound up winning my class and was only 3.5 sec off FTD! :-)
Yeah 2->1 downshifts suck. We try to NOT have anything 1st gear related on the course. (The video I posted a few pages back was an unfortunate necessity based on lot size, that we didn't anticipate when we rented it.) I guess it all depends on your region.

1->2 upshifts don't NEED to be lightning quick. The time you save by ripping it into gear is minimal. I always granny shift (I don't want to hurt my trans either!) and generally as long as you launch smoothly and gradually load the axles (vs. just popping the clutch and sending a shock of torque through them) you shouldn't have any problems. In a previous life I was pretty hardcore into drag racing and have gotten pretty good at keeping transmissions, rear ends and axles together over many hard launches.

Quick Reply: Why can't the 951 do well in autoX?