Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Why can't the 951 do well in autoX?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 01:10 PM
Richgreenster
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would love to see more 951's out Auto-Xing. (Hint... Darwin..)

The 951 does ok but sadly it will never win its class (C-Stock). The M3, Boxster, MR2, 911 and the 968 are the weapon of choice. BUT it does not mean that you cant have fun in a 951 Auto-Xing. It still is one of my favorite forms of racing...

For all of you that have not had the chance to race.. Get out there!! it is a blast..
Old 05-11-2012, 01:38 PM
LUCKY DAVE
Racer

Location: Encinitas, ca PCA National DE instructor PCA San Diego chief driving instructor
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Richgreenster
What about your local SCCA? One thing that I love about having a Porsche is that you can double dip on both clubs. PCA and the SCCA.
SCCA autocrosses suck! Walk the track to memorize it, then run four laps for time?
We get a track walk, and TEN LAPS of practice. Later, a warm up lap, and three timed runs.
And ours are cheaper. Why do you think all the SCCA guys want to run with us?
Old 05-11-2012, 01:46 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

What about your local SCCA? One thing that I love about having a Porsche is that you can double dip on both clubs. PCA and the SCCA.
I'm reconsidering them this year. The local SCCA chapter is almost always at the big lot we ran for Parade 2010.

Reason I hesitate is that the last time I ran with the SCCA (a few years ago now, so things may have changed), they gave you very few runs (like 4 for the whole day) and their courses IMO sucked. Their courses were much more geared towards "hardcore AX geek" - very tight, with almost lock-to-lock first gear slaloms, U-turns around a single cone, etc. A lot of the cars were trailered in and built specifically for AX. It might've been fun if you were in a Miata with short gearing but even with my GTI 1.8T (with a lot more low-end grunt than my 951) was boring and slow out there.

I have fun with AX but I'm not a hardcore geek about it and will be the first to tell you that if I had a bunch more discretionary income, I'd be out at a full on race track instead. As such, I much prefer faster, smoother courses, rather than super technical ones where the geeks can brag about "car placement" while they fumble around at 2mph. So far Chicago PCA and the Chicago Audi are pretty good about making FUN courses, so those are the clubs I run with regularly. SCCA and the local BMWCCA have been horrible (not to mention both clubs seemed pretty clique-ish towards new folks). Not to mention we had at least 10 runs per person at every PCA event last year, and every Audi Club event was at least 12 (one event we got *16* runs in!) So maybe I'm just spoiled... but sitting out there ALL DAY on a boring course to only get 4 runs was IMO a complete waste of time and $$.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:49 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by LUCKY DAVE
SCCA autocrosses suck! Walk the track to memorize it, then run four laps for time?
We get a track walk, and TEN LAPS of practice. Later, a warm up lap, and three timed runs.
And ours are cheaper. Why do you think all the SCCA guys want to run with us?
+1 same here in the Chicago region (re: SCCA.... for PCA we get a quick track walk but otherwise every run counts, you're scored by your best clean run).

We don't get many non-Porsches at our PCA events though. Probably because all of our registration paperwork says you have to be a guest of a member to be allowed to participate... even though we've NEVER turned someone away (unlike my last experience at the BMW club, where the 2 guys that offered to 'vouch' for me were already 'vouching' for someone else and the management made a stink that each member can only 'vouch' for 1 person and sent me home... so eff 'em).
Old 05-11-2012, 01:55 PM
Richgreenster
Burning Brakes

I guess it depends on how good your local SCCA club is. Ours here in Utah is Great! A bunch of us go to nationals each year and are very good drivers. Plus I love the courses they set up much better than the PCA clubs.

It is true that you only get 3-4 runs in but it is much more technical than the Porsche club. All said I love both club events.

BTW are any of you going to the Parade Auto-X?
Old 05-11-2012, 01:59 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

It is true that you only get 3-4 runs in but it is much more technical than the Porsche club.
Not bashing those who prefer technical courses (to each their own) but to me, both of these items here are the kiss-of-death.

Super technical (in AX terms) + only 3-4 runs = I'll choose to do yard work that day. And I hate yard work.

In the PCA we set up our courses to be technical, but more in the form of track/DE "technical" vs. AX "technical". Fish hook late apex stuff, double apexes, rhythm sections... but it's all fast and flowing. A 1st gear U-turn might be "technical" in AX terms but IMO not any fun.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:03 PM
Richgreenster
Burning Brakes

"Super technical (in AX terms) + only 3-4 runs = I'll choose to do yard work that day. And I hate yard work."

LOL
Old 05-11-2012, 02:09 PM
Richgreenster
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
In the PCA we set up our courses to be technical, but more in the form of track/DE "technical" vs. AX "technical". Fish hook late apex stuff, double apexes, rhythm sections... but it's all fast and flowing. A 1st gear U-turn might be "technical" in AX terms but IMO not any fun.
I agree. Our SCCA club here has very fast tracks. Most of the time we try to keep it below 100mph but the SS cars will hit 100+.

A while back our PCA club had a big fight because some wanted a tight course while others wanted a big flowing set up. I was Geneva, but some of the 914 guys never came back which I was very sad to see. I perfer a faster course but I think a mix is best for the majority.. Any Older Porsches out there? 356,914, early 911s?
Old 05-11-2012, 02:15 PM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

I used to run with the SCCA back in HS/College. Too expensive for too little seat time.

Back in AZ (where I'm from) the PCA autox was continuous lapping -- tons of fun. It meant we would get ~20 min sessions, about three sessions total. Tracks/courses were tighter than a DE track but were much more open than your standard autox. When I lived in MA they totally had the perfect setup to allow for continuous lapping but it was a tough sell. :-/
Old 05-11-2012, 02:47 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's gay
Old 05-11-2012, 03:03 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by reno808
It's gay
Which would make it right up your alley.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:18 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've never understood the appeal of AX. If I want to tear *** around a parking lot then I have my choice of about 20 I can think of that are currently deserted due to the depression. No waiting time and you get to make up the course as you go.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:25 PM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Our fastest courses have me peaking around 6,000rpm in 2nd. Tops. Generally I consider it a "good" course if I never fall below 2,500rpm in 2nd. We've had some courses that put me in no-mans-land (sub 2000rpm in 2nd.) I seem to have a hard time getting a heel-toe down into 1st for some reason (never problems heel-toe'ing down to any other gear) so my times usually suffer on those courses.
I've got the same problem; having a hard time gearing down from 2nd to 1st.
Courses that have alot of slower corners after a longer straight section, I suck at.
When I walk the course, and maybe the first two runs the only thing I'm thinking about is what gear should I be in at the various parts of the course; that's what pretty much consumes my attention. If I get it right, and I'm lucky with the course that day, I can be in the top 20%. If struggle with that I can be at the bottom.

Another reason our cars might have a bit of a disadvantage is that often they get put into an unfavourable class when modded. I mean engine mods; those that increase power, which most of us have done in some form or another. Ironically , these mods (like bigger turbos, maybe even a cam) actually hurt our AX times. Yet those that make the rules somehow think that these are a major advantages; more so than some basic suspension mods, which are usually considered free.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:51 PM
Reimu
Drifting

Only thing I dislike about autox is spending a whole day standing around with maybe 4 minutes total seat time if you're lucky. That's almost as bad as drag racing, although I guess autox is much more technical and fun in that aspect.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:59 PM
odb812
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Reimu
Only thing I dislike about autox is spending a whole day standing around with maybe 4 minutes total seat time if you're lucky. That's almost as bad as drag racing, although I guess autox is much more technical and fun in that aspect.
I feel the same way to an extent, but $/min is pretty close to what you spend on a DE and you learn just as much in those 4-12 min as you would in a full day of DE. It all comes down to personal preference and the group you're with. Since you have a ton of downtime, if you're with a cool group that likes to share advice that can make all the difference.

Quick Reply: Why can't the 951 do well in autoX?