I'm done!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 08:41 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ltdan12a
rennlist is being a little uncooperative, and I'm also trying to load straight to photobucket... that didn't work, so I just created an account on Flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/61779132@N02/6973315128/

I will post the picture, those are some eat up bearings.
Attached Images  
Old 04-27-2012, 11:24 PM
ltdan12a
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by p5th
First and foremost,all I heard about botom end was pistons look new,cylinder walls are fine. No noise,no ribrations. That being said,was car more out of tune on first three pulls? If that far out of whack why not stop until problem is fixed,was the 4-5-and sixth the tuning or hp runs? I'm confused,I was told car was ready before dyno? How,I mean if its that much out of tune?
No the tune was not more out of whack, the boost was turned all the way down. Combine that with the big injectors you had us install, and a rich condition at the beginning was expected.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:29 PM
ltdan12a
Instructor

Originally Posted by p5th
Car was driven 20 miles when first delivered to you,can't be only 5 miles. Now I'm getting worried.......
I apologize pernell. It's been a long week, and I'm doing my best to keep facts straight right now. We have nothing to hide here, and remember I volunteered through PM first to come in here and try to keep the community in the loop.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:37 PM
p5th
Burning Brakes

Yes you did. And yes I can understand having to respond to a lot. As I said until all the facts are out I reserve judgement. I will come to shop next week to sort some of this out. Please know I will ask fellow RListers for input/help understanding somethings. Maybe I should have stressed more about making engine ready,don't know. Maybe you guys should have said it should've been done. The question is now what?
Old 04-27-2012, 11:41 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

From what I can see it looks like those bearings came out of an engine that had been run with coolant in the oil or extended contaminated oil.

Even if the boost is turned down the tune is usually spot on. Actually it tends to be on the leaner side. I'd look for another problem with the fuel system. It doesn't matter that these are larger injectors. This tune has been dynos numerous times and the results are always very comparable.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:45 PM
p5th
Burning Brakes

Shop changed all the fluids, I take it the old oil was fine. Nothing was said about it being bad.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:50 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by blown 944
From what I can see it looks like those bearings came out of an engine that had been run with coolant in the oil or extended contaminated oil.

Even if the boost is turned down the tune is usually spot on. Actually it tends to be on the leaner side. I'd look for another problem with the fuel system. It doesn't matter that these are larger injectors. This tune has been dynos numerous times and the results are always very comparable.
Or oil starvation?
Old 04-27-2012, 11:54 PM
ltdan12a
Instructor

Cylinders 1 3 and4 bearings looked good. Only 2 was chewed up.

Regarding the rich running condition, of course we would like to troubleshoot the system, but without running the car, we can only do so much.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:55 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

it's my consensus as well. I have seen bearings like that from neglected cars with dirty old burned out oil, with ruptured oprv seal or hardly any oil. Hard to believe that came from a car that was taken good care of it.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:02 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

Good luck with this issue, sad indeed but without having all the facts it's difficult to make a full assessment. on others forums the approach is way different is not my problem, I should stay out, who cares, but the 951 community is pretty small and they ain't posers, I do believe that the 951 community above the rest of rennlist have some of the most talented group of wrenchers, techs, tuners, builders etc.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:09 AM
p5th
Burning Brakes

How many miles would that take to occur? I have 3 oil change receipts from Arlington Porsche. That's less than 3,500 miles a change for the 10k miles.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:14 AM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

As the impartial observer to all of this, I for one greatly appreciate Dan replying to everyone and being so active in the thread once he learned what was going on. I'm not saying it's one person's fault vs another's but I do commend him for replying to the group as a whole. There have been a number of very aggressive and inflammatory statements getting thrown about and he could have easily done nothing and sat idly by.

Again, I don't personally care what the issue is or whose fault is whose. Just trying to offer some perspective in the hopes that some of us will try and remain calm throughout all of this.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:18 AM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Also, given that the oil looked fine prior to the change and cylinders 1, 3, and 4 looked hunky dory, I would venture a guess that something is clogging the oil supply to cylinder 2.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:57 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

#2 bearing is a common failure point from oil starvation. Generally though, it will spin the bearing in the rod. It's unfortunate regardless. I certainly wouldn't point any fingers in this situation. I've seen way to many variables to be able to give a good enough assessment.

I'd say that it was a lucky catch if nothing else.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:52 AM
carlege
Drifting

#2 bearing is a common failure point from oil starvation. Generally though, it will spin the bearing in the rod. It's unfortunate regardless. I certainly wouldn't point any fingers in this situation. I've seen way to many variables to be able to give a good enough assessment.

I'd say that it was a lucky catch if nothing else.
If the bearing was the only thing that needed to be replaced i would say that was lucky. But from dan's post, new rod and crankshaft are also in order. This is very unlucky

Quick Reply: I'm done!!!