Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Oil leak onto headers, not the cam tower gasket

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 04:13 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Oil leak onto headers, not the cam tower gasket

So I changed my cam tower gasket thinking it was leaking onto my headers. But, when I started the car again sure enough it started smoking again. Appears to be coming from around the forward two runners and heatshield. I cleaned between the cam tower and manifolds really well and I don't see any evidence of oil leaking from it. Next guess is the oil filter housing. Any other guesses as where it could be coming from? Pretty certain it's not not residue as I've degreased it many times and it's a pretty constant stream of smoke. It also seems to increase if I hold the revs off idle (2-3k).
Old 04-09-2012, 04:30 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

usually if its leaking ONTO the headers its either the rear cambox cork gasket, the main gasket, or the front seals on the cambox, usually the small white o-ring just behind the cam gear.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:53 PM
Adonay
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I had a leak from the back of the cylinder head turned outto be a hole there . It was weird we have 5-6 cylinder heads and none of them had a plug that was missing in the back like mine.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:23 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by xsboost90
usually if its leaking ONTO the headers its either the rear cambox cork gasket, the main gasket, or the front seals on the cambox, usually the small white o-ring just behind the cam gear.
Definitely seems to be coming from somewhere near the front (rear was replaced with silicone gasket too). Doesn't appear to be dripping on top of the headers, but possibly from below hence why I was thinking the oil filter housing. I'll jack the car up and get a better look at it tonight.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:14 AM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Well it's definitely not coming from the cam tower. My oil pressure sending unit and lower balance shaft housing looked a little oily so I degreased those some more and will try running it again to see if more appears.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:42 PM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After my gasket replacement it smoked much longer than I would've guessed
Old 04-14-2012, 01:10 AM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tedro951
After my gasket replacement it smoked much longer than I would've guessed
I hope that's the case! Been degreasing it a lot and plan on running it some more this weekend

I did get some fluorescent dye and I did find a leak out of the front cam seal, but it's leaking down onto the waterpump and I don't see a path onto the exhaust. Also found a leak out rear of the lower balance shaft, but once again nothing onto the exhaust manifolds.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:29 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Power steering fluid?
Old 04-14-2012, 10:09 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Not quite sure what still, but it pissed me off enough to pull it out of the garage. Audi is going in the garage for a few weeks and I'll work on that. When it goes back in the garage I'll probably just pull the engine so it probably won't hit the road this summer at this rate.

Quick Reply: Oil leak onto headers, not the cam tower gasket